horned headdress

  • Ann M Morton
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2005
      Savina wrote: I have made horns this way and they look great. You cut the football in
      half
      diagonally, scoop out the underside to fit your head, cover with cloth
      and
      sew onto a matching strap which goes around your head along the
      hairline and
      pins in back. I hate that itÂ’s so not period, but it looks and works
      great.
      If nothing else, the football could be used as a form for something
      more
      period - like felted wool, or maybe starched buckram. I've also thought
      of
      maybe making the cloth cover for the football to get the shape, then
      taking
      it off again and stuffing it with wool instead.

      Whatever method I use, the first layer of veiling is always a smallish
      white
      linen round which is draped and then pinned close to the horns and the
      back
      of the head, and then a larger veil, either oval or rectangular, draped
      over
      that and pinned just enough on top to stay in place.

      I have pictures if you are interested....

      Wow! What a great idea! Please do post photos. I have short hair by the way, so this works better for me than braiding the hair I wish I had. :-)
      Marsaili

      "Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo
      can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when
      the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones
      at the back that are killed first This natural selection is
      good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed
      and health of the whole group keeps improving by the
      regular killing of the weakest members. In much the
      same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the
      slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we
      know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest
      and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular
      consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells,
      making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.
      That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers." - Cliff Clavin

    • Rebecca Perry
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2005
        Will do - sometime in the next couple of days. If I haven't done it by
        Monday, remind me!

        Savina
        The very, very busy....

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2006
          I have posted a bunch of pictures of various types of horns - unfortunately
          I don't have any "process" pics yet - just pics of the finished look. I will
          post technical/process pictures if desired, or I can email them privately.

          They're in the photo album "Savina LaBrune" - enjoy!

          Savina