new thread - 'horned headress'

  • Ann Morton
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 26, 2005
      I would like to try a 'horned headress'. Others I have talked to have
      used cornucopias or other interesting methods of getting the horns.
      Do other readers have ideas and suggestions for materials such as
      buckram? Suggestions for wrapping or finishing the headress (before
      the veils)?

      Marsaili
    • danabren@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 27, 2005
        There are a few styles of horned headdress, which one were you thinking of specifically?

        Danabren
        East

        >I would like to try a 'horned headress'. Others I have talked to have
        >used cornucopias or other interesting methods of getting the horns.
        >Do other readers have ideas and suggestions for materials such as
        >buckram? Suggestions for wrapping or finishing the headress (before
        >the veils)?
        >
        >Marsaili

        ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
        If money doesn't grow on trees then why do banks have branches?
      • uxbridgefox
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 27, 2005
          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Ann Morton"
          <best_interests@s...> wrote:

          > I would like to try a 'horned headress'. Others I have talked to
          have
          > used cornucopias or other interesting methods of getting the
          horns.
          > Do other readers have ideas and suggestions for materials such as
          > buckram? Suggestions for wrapping or finishing the headress
          (before
          > the veils)?
          >
          > Marsaili

          http://gallica.bnf.fr/scripts/mediator.exe?L=08100028&I=24&F=C

          http://gallica.bnf.fr/scripts/Notice.php?O=08100028

          Naissance d'Ésaü et Jacob
          Cote : Français 9 , Fol. 28v
          Guiard des Moulins, Bible historiale, France, Paris, XVe siècle

          This could be a possibility of what is under neat for support of the
          horns.

          Good luck
          Eleanor le Brun
        • Paul Adams
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 27, 2005
            Hi,

            A number of friends and I have been doing horns with our flemish stuff. We
            part our hair in the middle. Tie it in high ponytails, then plait them and
            wind them into sort of horny buns. We then wrap them with veils. It works
            well if you have long hair. Some of my friends with shorter hair use fake
            plaits and the same sort of method. It is a bit fiddly to start with but I
            can do mine in about 10 minutes now.

            Branwen

            > I would like to try a 'horned headress'. Others I have talked to
            have
            > used cornucopias or other interesting methods of getting the
            horns.
            > Do other readers have ideas and suggestions for materials such as
            > buckram? Suggestions for wrapping or finishing the headress
            (before
            > the veils)?
            >
            > Marsaili

            http://gallica.bnf.fr/scripts/mediator.exe?L=08100028&I=24&F=C

            http://gallica.bnf.fr/scripts/Notice.php?O=08100028

            Naissance d'Ésaü et Jacob
            Cote : Français 9 , Fol. 28v
            Guiard des Moulins, Bible historiale, France, Paris, XVe siècle

            This could be a possibility of what is under neat for support of the
            horns.

            Good luck
            Eleanor le Brun

            Community email addresses:
            Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
            Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

            Shortcut URL to this page:
            http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners
            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Rebecca Perry
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 28, 2005
              I've done this in several different ways - the first question is how long is
              your hair? I can tell you three different ways to do this with one's own
              hair, if it is at least should-length. For shorter hair there is another
              method. A while back on this list there was a thread about making period-ish
              looking headcoverings for riding, and someone (I think it was Dame Cynthia)
              suggested using nerf footballs as a form for horns, the idea being that they
              were soft and would be safe in case of a fall.

              I have made horns this way and they look great. You cut the football in half
              diagonally, scoop out the underside to fit your head, cover with cloth and
              sew onto a matching strap which goes around your head along the hairline and
              pins in back. I hate that it’s so not period, but it looks and works great.
              If nothing else, the football could be used as a form for something more
              period - like felted wool, or maybe starched buckram. I've also thought of
              maybe making the cloth cover for the football to get the shape, then taking
              it off again and stuffing it with wool instead.

              Whatever method I use, the first layer of veiling is always a smallish white
              linen round which is draped and then pinned close to the horns and the back
              of the head, and then a larger veil, either oval or rectangular, draped over
              that and pinned just enough on top to stay in place.

              I have pictures if you are interested....

              Savina