Re: Viking Headwear?

  • Emmie
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005
      "Kamala / Kathy" wrote:

      > I just faced the same question. My answer was to make a Dublin
      hood/cap out of off-white
      > wool then a Central Asian influenced fur trimmed hat over it. I made
      my hats out of felt and my "fur" was pile woven trim.

      Thank you, thank you, thank you. Out of my pure newness I must ask...
      what is pile woven trim? I just don't know, sorry. I do have some
      rabbit fur, but curious as to the trim you did. Thank you again!

      All of you teach me something new everytime *yeah*!

      YIS,

      Elisabeth / Emmie
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005
        Emmie wrote:

        > "Kamala / Kathy" wrote:
        >
        >>I just faced the same question. My answer was to make a Dublin
        >> hood/cap out of off-white
        >>wool then a Central Asian influenced fur trimmed hat over it. I made
        >> my hats out of felt and my "fur" was pile woven trim.
        >
        > Thank you, thank you, thank you. Out of my pure newness I must ask...
        > what is pile woven trim? I just don't know, sorry. I do have some
        > rabbit fur, but curious as to the trim you did. Thank you again!

        It's probably the ribbon-like trim which is furry like fake fur. Around
        here, it is sold before Christmastime, I suppose so people can use it
        for "Santa hats" and suchlike. (I just use fake fur, but I'm a fabric
        geek, after all.)

        I wonder what "santa hats" were called before they became linked with
        the modern Santa?

        --
        Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

        Snow ants are of course snow white, and travel in huge packs, are quite
        invisible against the snow. Usually, the only way to know they're nearby
        is when moose disappear in a puff of white with a little spattering of
        red. "The Great Canadian Wallpaper Festival" by Tempus Peregrinator
      • Kamala / Kathy
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005
          I wove trim on my inkle loom using rya techniquie. Three rows of tabby (plain) weave then a
          row of unspun wool tied in ghordies knots accross the warp. I put some photos in ohotos
          under Kamala.

          Rabbit fur works for the hats also.

          Kamala

          > Thank you, thank you, thank you. Out of my pure newness I must ask...
          > what is pile woven trim? I just don't know, sorry. I do have some
          > rabbit fur, but curious as to the trim you did. Thank you again!
          >
          > All of you teach me something new everytime *yeah*!
          >
          > YIS,
          >
          > Elisabeth / Emmie

        • Kamala / Kathy
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005

            > It's probably the ribbon-like trim which is furry like fake fur. Around
            > here, it is sold before Christmastime, I suppose so people can use it
            > for "Santa hats" and suchlike. (I just use fake fur, but I'm a fabric
            > geek, after all.)

            Same theory, period technique based in large part on Thora's research.

            Decription of "fake fur" trim on Hedeby style jacket
            http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/viktunic.html

            Trade cloaks pp8 ->
            http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/webdocs/mnm_mt28.pdf

            Trade cloaks update p7
            http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/webdocs/mnm_mt30.pdf

            > I wonder what "santa hats" were called before they became linked with
            > the modern Santa?
            >
            > --
            > Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

            Some sites call them Norse Merchants hats.

            http://www.housebarra.com/EP/ep15/10norsecap.html

            Kamala
          • Emmie
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005
              "Kamala / Kathy" wrote:

              > I wove trim on my inkle loom using rya techniquie. Three rows of
              tabby (plain) weave then a
              > row of unspun wool tied in ghordies knots accross the warp. I put
              some photos in ohotos
              > under Kamala.

              Very nice! I need to learn how to weave... I saw an inkle woom for
              the first time this weekend and it only encouraged my interest! I'll
              just use to rabbit fur for now...

              Did you just use traditional embroidery thread for the details along
              the seams and the top of the hat? It is simple, but very pretty. A
              combination that I always love! Thank you for your help.

              One of the ladies in our canton made her husband the Norse merchant
              hat... I love them and he has fun wearing it to viking events.

              Elisabeth/ Emmie
            • Kamala / Kathy
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005

                > Did you just use traditional embroidery thread for the details along
                > the seams and the top of the hat? It is simple, but very pretty. A
                > combination that I always love! Thank you for your help.

                No, it is homespun of the same wool as in the trim. And it actually holds the hats
                together, not just decorative. My felt got pulled a little thin at the top so the round
                stitching on top quilts a patch on the inside for reinforcement.

                > One of the ladies in our canton made her husband the Norse merchant
                > hat... I love them and he has fun wearing it to viking events.
                >
                > Elisabeth/ Emmie

                I just moved from Trimaris (Florida) to Outlands (New Mexico) so hats and wool are now
                my best friends. Mine is the white hat, my husband's is the brown and the red one is my 5
                yo daughter's.

                Good luck if you do this style hat. And I want to see the results!

                Kamala
                Kamala