Re: Viking Headwear?

  • Kamala / Kathy
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 20, 2005
      I just faced the same question. My answer was to make a Dublin hood/cap out of off-white
      wool then a Central Asian influenced fur trimmed hat over it. I made my hats out of felt
      and my "fur" was pile woven trim.

      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWChead.html

      "Later over the povoi was worn the korona-kokoshnik or kika, and in winter - a hat with
      fur hat band and rounded crown. "

      http://www.vertetsable.com/demos_asianhats.htm

      http://willadsenfamily.org/sca/isabel_as/head-dress/head-dress.htm

      Kamala

      > >Are there any alteratives out their to the kerchief style headwear for
      > >women when in viking garb.... preferably something a little warmer?
      > >If anyone has played with this type of headwear could you school me in
      > >some other options? Thank you.
      > >
      > >YIS,
      > >
      > >Elisabeth Hänsel
    • Emmie
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005
        "Kamala / Kathy" wrote:

        > I just faced the same question. My answer was to make a Dublin
        hood/cap out of off-white
        > wool then a Central Asian influenced fur trimmed hat over it. I made
        my hats out of felt and my "fur" was pile woven trim.

        Thank you, thank you, thank you. Out of my pure newness I must ask...
        what is pile woven trim? I just don't know, sorry. I do have some
        rabbit fur, but curious as to the trim you did. Thank you again!

        All of you teach me something new everytime *yeah*!

        YIS,

        Elisabeth / Emmie
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005
          Emmie wrote:

          > "Kamala / Kathy" wrote:
          >
          >>I just faced the same question. My answer was to make a Dublin
          >> hood/cap out of off-white
          >>wool then a Central Asian influenced fur trimmed hat over it. I made
          >> my hats out of felt and my "fur" was pile woven trim.
          >
          > Thank you, thank you, thank you. Out of my pure newness I must ask...
          > what is pile woven trim? I just don't know, sorry. I do have some
          > rabbit fur, but curious as to the trim you did. Thank you again!

          It's probably the ribbon-like trim which is furry like fake fur. Around
          here, it is sold before Christmastime, I suppose so people can use it
          for "Santa hats" and suchlike. (I just use fake fur, but I'm a fabric
          geek, after all.)

          I wonder what "santa hats" were called before they became linked with
          the modern Santa?

          --
          Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

          Snow ants are of course snow white, and travel in huge packs, are quite
          invisible against the snow. Usually, the only way to know they're nearby
          is when moose disappear in a puff of white with a little spattering of
          red. "The Great Canadian Wallpaper Festival" by Tempus Peregrinator
        • Kamala / Kathy
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005
            I wove trim on my inkle loom using rya techniquie. Three rows of tabby (plain) weave then a
            row of unspun wool tied in ghordies knots accross the warp. I put some photos in ohotos
            under Kamala.

            Rabbit fur works for the hats also.

            Kamala

            > Thank you, thank you, thank you. Out of my pure newness I must ask...
            > what is pile woven trim? I just don't know, sorry. I do have some
            > rabbit fur, but curious as to the trim you did. Thank you again!
            >
            > All of you teach me something new everytime *yeah*!
            >
            > YIS,
            >
            > Elisabeth / Emmie

          • Kamala / Kathy
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005

              > It's probably the ribbon-like trim which is furry like fake fur. Around
              > here, it is sold before Christmastime, I suppose so people can use it
              > for "Santa hats" and suchlike. (I just use fake fur, but I'm a fabric
              > geek, after all.)

              Same theory, period technique based in large part on Thora's research.

              Decription of "fake fur" trim on Hedeby style jacket
              http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/viktunic.html

              Trade cloaks pp8 ->
              http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/webdocs/mnm_mt28.pdf

              Trade cloaks update p7
              http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/webdocs/mnm_mt30.pdf

              > I wonder what "santa hats" were called before they became linked with
              > the modern Santa?
              >
              > --
              > Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

              Some sites call them Norse Merchants hats.

              http://www.housebarra.com/EP/ep15/10norsecap.html

              Kamala
            • Emmie
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005
                "Kamala / Kathy" wrote:

                > I wove trim on my inkle loom using rya techniquie. Three rows of
                tabby (plain) weave then a
                > row of unspun wool tied in ghordies knots accross the warp. I put
                some photos in ohotos
                > under Kamala.

                Very nice! I need to learn how to weave... I saw an inkle woom for
                the first time this weekend and it only encouraged my interest! I'll
                just use to rabbit fur for now...

                Did you just use traditional embroidery thread for the details along
                the seams and the top of the hat? It is simple, but very pretty. A
                combination that I always love! Thank you for your help.

                One of the ladies in our canton made her husband the Norse merchant
                hat... I love them and he has fun wearing it to viking events.

                Elisabeth/ Emmie
              • Kamala / Kathy
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005

                  > Did you just use traditional embroidery thread for the details along
                  > the seams and the top of the hat? It is simple, but very pretty. A
                  > combination that I always love! Thank you for your help.

                  No, it is homespun of the same wool as in the trim. And it actually holds the hats
                  together, not just decorative. My felt got pulled a little thin at the top so the round
                  stitching on top quilts a patch on the inside for reinforcement.

                  > One of the ladies in our canton made her husband the Norse merchant
                  > hat... I love them and he has fun wearing it to viking events.
                  >
                  > Elisabeth/ Emmie

                  I just moved from Trimaris (Florida) to Outlands (New Mexico) so hats and wool are now
                  my best friends. Mine is the white hat, my husband's is the brown and the red one is my 5
                  yo daughter's.

                  Good luck if you do this style hat. And I want to see the results!

                  Kamala
                  Kamala