Re: coifs

  • Dawn Perez
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2005
      Sounds like a good idea. But 2-3 layers of linen may be just as warm,
      and probably more period. But I would let others more learned than I
      chime in.

      Albina

      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Farmer" <sfarmer@g...>
      wrote:

      > Hi! My name is Jerusha and I live in Meridies. I am also in
      > desperate need of something to put on my head! (I hate having my
      ears
      > covered -- too noisy). My persona tends to latish period Italian
      > (1480-1580 ish) so that's not something that I have to deal with much
      > there.
      >
      > Anyway, it's cold outside. I'm about to decide that I need to make
      me
      > a coif to keep my pointy little head warm (I have a tiny head with
      > thin, fine hair). Has anybody ever made one out of wool? I was
      > thinking wool lined in linen .....
      >
      > Jerusha

    • Alex Doyle
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2005
        I made a coif for my granddaughter when she was two or so, one layer of linen, a layer of cotton batting and outside of silk, gathered lightly with pearls here and there, after the styles you see in miniatures of small children in 16th c England.

        Hazel is a child that gets warm even when it's cold to everyone else, but she kept this coif on, especially since she was wearing it during a blustery December day in south Texas, temps were around fifty-sixty, with wind chill, I'm not really sure. She was also having trouble with ear infections around then too, so this kept the wind out of her ears and she didn't get too warm in it either.

        alex

        wrote:

        > Hi! My name is Jerusha and I live in Meridies. I am also in
        > desperate need of something to put on my head! (I hate having my
        ears
        > covered -- too noisy). My persona tends to latish period Italian
        > (1480-1580 ish) so that's not something that I have to deal with much
        > there.
        >
        > Anyway, it's cold outside. I'm about to decide that I need to make
        me
        > a coif to keep my pointy little head warm (I have a tiny head with
        > thin, fine hair). Has anybody ever made one out of wool? I was
        > thinking wool lined in linen .....
        >
        > Jerusha

        Community email addresses:
        Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com