Re: [SCA-Milliners] Twin Braids and Veils?

  • danabren@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 12, 2005
      Hello!

      Parting your hair and putting it in two braids is fine, particularly for Norman Invasion era. As time passes, the hair begins to be seen worn up wrapped in a caul at the base of the neck (or free under a "coffee filter" hat if unmarried). I'm at work (argh) and have no access to any books, or links with pictures from Notre Dame and Chatres, among others. It doesn't really matter if your braids are longer or shorter than your veil (especially when your hair is as long as it is), and there is some debate over braid cases.

      Danabren

      >Hi everyone! I'm new to this group, relatively new to garbing up, but
      >not entirely unfamiliar with the general idea of how people dressed
      >throughout the middle ages. I am seeking to create something 12th or
      >13th century. I was unable to quite figure out how to make the veils
      >so I recently bought a veil with barbette (which will be used later on
      >as a pattern for other veils). Now my veil is nicer than my garb, so
      >I have to make more garb!
      >
      >What I am most concerned about is how to wear my hair under the veil.
      > I am thinking of parting it into two braids. I have been looking all
      >over (online)and cannot find examples that this was done, however I
      >know that braids were popular, and that veils were very common. If I
      >were to put my hair in braids, should I make sure that my veil is
      >longer than the braids, or can they be longer than the veil. When
      >braided, my hair reaches the top of my natural waist. Also, would it
      >be appropriate to have braid casings worn with a veil, or should I
      >forego the veil if I am wearing braids in casings? Does it really all
      >matter? I would like to be as authentic as I can.

      ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
      "Decadence is it's own reward."
      S. Carter
    • Maura Folsom
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 10, 2005
        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "melthemouse" <mrspix@g...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone! I'm new to this group, relatively new to garbing up, but
        > not entirely unfamiliar with the general idea of how people dressed
        > throughout the middle ages. I am seeking to create something 12th or
        > 13th century.

        Well, for 12th century, I have just uploaded my class handouts on 12th
        century headdress (from my KWCS class, which was cancelled due to a
        family emergency). They should be helpful to you in some ways!

        The handouts are in the files section, in a folder called "12th
        Century Hair Class."

        Marguerie
      • Martha Rice
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Maura Folsom" <jauncourt@y...>
          wrote:
          > Well, for 12th century, I have just uploaded my class handouts on 12th
          > century headdress (from my KWCS class, which was cancelled due to a
          > family emergency).

          Marguerie, I missed having you at KWCS. I just wanted to let you know
          that several people asked after you and your family and sent caring
          messages to you all.
          Caitlin, going back to recuperate some more now :)
        • Maura Folsom
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
            --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Martha Rice"
            <caitlinnicraighne@h...> wrote:

            > Marguerie, I missed having you at KWCS. I just wanted to let you know
            > that several people asked after you and your family and sent caring
            > messages to you all.

            Thank you! My uncle is holding in there, but he's been in and out of
            the ICU and surgery several times in the last week. It's still very
            touch-and-go, and we're holding out hope that he'll come through this.

            MdeJ
          • Susan Griner
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
              Thanks for posting these . They're very interesting!
              Lucrezia