RE: [SCA-Milliners] Re: More hat pics

  • Stephanie Reiley
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 20, 2005
      >I know what you mean about trying to upload. I have had the same problem,
      >on the pleated crown silk velvet hat documentation. I finally gave up on
      >uploading it. It's very, very image heavy, and that messes things up,
      >eventhough I have cable internet. I did get the file, and have printed it
      >out! Thanks so much for sharing.

      I would love if you could shoot a copy to my hotmail account. I can handle
      up to about 2 gig.

      >Okay...gotcha on the pleating. When you spray the inside of the hat with
      >glue...are you spraying the whole inside, or just the tip of the crown?

      I spray the whole inside. Although, you could probably experiment with both
      ways. I like a little glue on the sides to help hold the pleats in place as
      I'm not stitching them down yet like Theron does.

      >I use the spray glue myself to keep the tops of the crown linings in
      place. And, I know it does give you some fiddle-time to work your
      fabric...but, is there enough time for you to actually go around the crown 2
      or 3 times?

      I use a fairly forgiving spray that lets me stick and unstick the fabric
      several times. It's pretty much like rubber cement.

      >I love the idea of using the cardboard piece to secure the crown tip.
      >That's brilliant. I don't know Theron, but I will surely try to run into
      >him one day! This is a technique that I must try!!

      Yep, I agree and that's totally his idea. I need to thank him for that tip
      the next time I ses him. If we lived anywhere near him, I would love to
      apprentice to him mundanely. Sigh.

      Selene
    • FyneHats2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 20, 2005
        > Ok, I stripped out enough old pictures to have enough room for a compressed
        > PDF. It's under Files\Selene\Black Felt Hat.
        >
        > Please let me know if you have problems opening it.
        >
        > Selene

        It wouldn't open for me at all. Would it be possible for you to send it to
        my email address?
        Thanks so much.

        Also, if you should see Theron in the near future, please give him greetings
        from Mistress Felicity. I did several Renaissance Faires with him at Valhalla
        and Las Vegas and he did name me his fair apprentice and approved the
        workmanship of my hats -- and he is a hard master to please! I do miss seeing his
        work and talking with him. He is a veritable fount of millinery knowledge.

        Thanks again Selene for picture of your marvellous hats.

        Donna Scarfe
        fynehats2@...
        www.fynehatsbyfelicity.com

      • Julie Tamura
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 21, 2005
          Nicely done...both the hat and the docs. For my felted hat, I knit the
          "hood" first and then felted it. I made a flat hat out of it by squashing
          it down and making the felt kind of pleat into shape. I haven't tried
          felting batts.

          Did you actually start with white wool or was that just for the photos? I
          got the darkest natural black fleece I could find, spun a loose single ply
          yarn and knit 2 strands.

          Theron loved my finished hat and was going to help me with a hat band and
          feathers. I've lost touch with him. He hasn't been to my local faires in
          over a year. Is he OK? Does anyone have current contact info? I still
          have some stuff I borrowed and need to return.
          Julie