Re: Coifs and ties

  • Kristine Elliott
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
      Ties that are distinctly tied. If you are still having trouble with
      these later, let me know and I can send you copies I made earlier of
      the calendar pages -- after 4 today.

      Cateline

      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
        Kristine Elliott wrote:

        > Ties that are distinctly tied. If you are still having trouble with
        > these later, let me know and I can send you copies I made earlier of
        > the calendar pages -- after 4 today.

        When I click on the thumbnail, hoping to get a larger version, it takes
        me to a server which begins with "hognose" which is not responding.
        Does that happen for you?

        --
        Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

        "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet 81
        "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia Virtue
      • souriete
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@t...> wrote:
          > Kristine Elliott wrote:
          >
          > > Ties that are distinctly tied. If you are still having trouble with
          > > these later, let me know and I can send you copies I made earlier of
          > > the calendar pages -- after 4 today.
          >
          > When I click on the thumbnail, hoping to get a larger version, it takes
          > me to a server which begins with "hognose" which is not responding.
          > Does that happen for you?
          >
          > --
          > Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent
          >
          > "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet 81
          > "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia Virtue

          Yes it is, today. Never happened to me before. I have extracted the
          coifs into one file and will put them in the Files section.

          Cateline
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
            souriete wrote:

            > Yes it is, today. Never happened to me before. I have extracted the
            > coifs into one file and will put them in the Files section.

            Thank you very much! Those are great pictures.

            And, interestingly, Yahoo has done something obscure to make it
            impossible to copy images from their directories. Innnnteresting.

            I'll check back with the original website tomorrow to see if I can view
            the images there.

            --
            Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

            "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet 81
            "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia Virtue
          • Caitriona Campbell
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
              I found this a while back and saved it for reference.
              It's in french, but the picture leaves no doubt since
              you can well see the coif tied on top of the mans
              head.

              http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/medieval/francais/c265.htm

              Caitriona Campbell

              --- souriete <souriete@...> wrote:

              > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue
              > <cvirtue@t...> wrote:
              > > Kristine Elliott wrote:
              > >
              > > > Ties that are distinctly tied. If you are still
              > having trouble with
              > > > these later, let me know and I can send you
              > copies I made earlier of
              > > > the calendar pages -- after 4 today.

              Caitriona, Karen, DragonLady
              (My personality trinity)

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Kristine Elliott
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
                I can email you offlist a copy of that file or a copy of all of the
                calendar pictures. The latter will total close to 5 megs, though. Just
                let me know.

                This ms was brought to my attention when I challenged the 12th century
                list to prove to me that the coif was in use in the 12th century,
                since they said it was, and I had only been able to find it in 13th
                century illustrations. One of those cases where I loved being proved
                wrong.

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
                  Kristine Elliott wrote:

                  > One of those cases where I loved being proved
                  > wrong.

                  I love being proved wrong. It's like getting a chocolate truffle in email!

                  I would be very grateful for the files whenever you're able to send
                  them; I've DSL so it won't be a problem. I'm planning to put one or two
                  examples on my coif page and will credit you as the finder -- how would
                  you like to be credited?

                  Catriona and Danabren, I'll put up your examples also -- credits
                  preference?

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
                    Please credit the 12th century garb list! I am just the humble
                    messenger. I'll send the files within the house to your personal
                    email.

                    --
                  • danabren@verizon.net
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
                      >Catriona and Danabren, I'll put up your examples also -- credits
                      >preference?
                      >
                      >--
                      >Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

                      I just did a Google search to get the picture, just credit the site please.

                      Danabren

                      ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                      Come to the Dark Side. We have cookies.
                    • Caitriona Campbell
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
                        I'd love to take credit for finding it, but I will
                        have to admit I stumbled on it while I was looking at
                        another costume site and it mentioned La Peinture
                        Medievale and gave the link. It features an english
                        translation if you chose so I wandered all over the
                        site looking at costume and everything else available
                        there. I saved the coif tied up on the head simply
                        because I'd never seen one represented that way
                        before.

                        Caitriona

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
                          It does the same to me.

                          P~

                          --- Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@...> wrote:

                          > Kristine Elliott wrote:
                          >
                          > > Ties that are distinctly tied. If you are still
                          > having trouble with
                          > > these later, let me know and I can send you copies
                          > I made earlier of
                          > > the calendar pages -- after 4 today.
                          >
                          > When I click on the thumbnail, hoping to get a
                          > larger version, it takes
                          > me to a server which begins with "hognose" which is
                          > not responding.
                          > Does that happen for you?
                          >
                          > --
                          > Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent
                          >
                          > "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare,
                          > Sonnet 81
                          > "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia
                          > Virtue

                          > Unsubscribe:

                          > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Yolanda Graham
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
                            Wait! I'd like a copy as well <delurking and jumping
                            up and down>.

                            YIS,

                            Pagan

                            You can send it/them to this addy. I have cable so
                            the file size is okhere too.

                            http://mail.yahoo.com