Re: [SCA-Milliners] Coifs and ties

    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
      Kristine Elliott wrote:

      > Check out the Fecamp Psalter, dated 1180:
      >
      > http://collecties.meermanno.nl/handschriften/showmanu?id=1181
      >
      > The calendar pictures in particular feature men wearing white coifs
      > tied under the chin.

      I'll have to try later; it's being obstreporous. Do the images show the
      ties, or just that there's a strap of some kind?

      --
      Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

      "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet 81
      "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia Virtue
    • Kristine Elliott
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
        Ties that are distinctly tied. If you are still having trouble with
        these later, let me know and I can send you copies I made earlier of
        the calendar pages -- after 4 today.

        Cateline

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
          Kristine Elliott wrote:

          > Ties that are distinctly tied. If you are still having trouble with
          > these later, let me know and I can send you copies I made earlier of
          > the calendar pages -- after 4 today.

          When I click on the thumbnail, hoping to get a larger version, it takes
          me to a server which begins with "hognose" which is not responding.
          Does that happen for you?

          --
          Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

          "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet 81
          "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia Virtue
        • souriete
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
            --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@t...> wrote:
            > Kristine Elliott wrote:
            >
            > > Ties that are distinctly tied. If you are still having trouble with
            > > these later, let me know and I can send you copies I made earlier of
            > > the calendar pages -- after 4 today.
            >
            > When I click on the thumbnail, hoping to get a larger version, it takes
            > me to a server which begins with "hognose" which is not responding.
            > Does that happen for you?
            >
            > --
            > Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent
            >
            > "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet 81
            > "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia Virtue

            Yes it is, today. Never happened to me before. I have extracted the
            coifs into one file and will put them in the Files section.

            Cateline
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
              souriete wrote:

              > Yes it is, today. Never happened to me before. I have extracted the
              > coifs into one file and will put them in the Files section.

              Thank you very much! Those are great pictures.

              And, interestingly, Yahoo has done something obscure to make it
              impossible to copy images from their directories. Innnnteresting.

              I'll check back with the original website tomorrow to see if I can view
              the images there.

              --
              Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

              "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet 81
              "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia Virtue
            • Caitriona Campbell
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
                I found this a while back and saved it for reference.
                It's in french, but the picture leaves no doubt since
                you can well see the coif tied on top of the mans
                head.

                http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/medieval/francais/c265.htm

                Caitriona Campbell

                --- souriete <souriete@...> wrote:

                > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue
                > <cvirtue@t...> wrote:
                > > Kristine Elliott wrote:
                > >
                > > > Ties that are distinctly tied. If you are still
                > having trouble with
                > > > these later, let me know and I can send you
                > copies I made earlier of
                > > > the calendar pages -- after 4 today.

                Caitriona, Karen, DragonLady
                (My personality trinity)

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Kristine Elliott
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
                  I can email you offlist a copy of that file or a copy of all of the
                  calendar pictures. The latter will total close to 5 megs, though. Just
                  let me know.

                  This ms was brought to my attention when I challenged the 12th century
                  list to prove to me that the coif was in use in the 12th century,
                  since they said it was, and I had only been able to find it in 13th
                  century illustrations. One of those cases where I loved being proved
                  wrong.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
                    Kristine Elliott wrote:

                    > One of those cases where I loved being proved
                    > wrong.

                    I love being proved wrong. It's like getting a chocolate truffle in email!

                    I would be very grateful for the files whenever you're able to send
                    them; I've DSL so it won't be a problem. I'm planning to put one or two
                    examples on my coif page and will credit you as the finder -- how would
                    you like to be credited?

                    Catriona and Danabren, I'll put up your examples also -- credits
                    preference?

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
                      Please credit the 12th century garb list! I am just the humble
                      messenger. I'll send the files within the house to your personal
                      email.

                      --
                    • danabren@verizon.net
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
                        >Catriona and Danabren, I'll put up your examples also -- credits
                        >preference?
                        >
                        >--
                        >Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

                        I just did a Google search to get the picture, just credit the site please.

                        Danabren

                        ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                        Come to the Dark Side. We have cookies.
                      • Caitriona Campbell
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
                          I'd love to take credit for finding it, but I will
                          have to admit I stumbled on it while I was looking at
                          another costume site and it mentioned La Peinture
                          Medievale and gave the link. It features an english
                          translation if you chose so I wandered all over the
                          site looking at costume and everything else available
                          there. I saved the coif tied up on the head simply
                          because I'd never seen one represented that way
                          before.

                          Caitriona

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
                            It does the same to me.

                            P~

                            --- Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@...> wrote:

                            > Kristine Elliott wrote:
                            >
                            > > Ties that are distinctly tied. If you are still
                            > having trouble with
                            > > these later, let me know and I can send you copies
                            > I made earlier of
                            > > the calendar pages -- after 4 today.
                            >
                            > When I click on the thumbnail, hoping to get a
                            > larger version, it takes
                            > me to a server which begins with "hognose" which is
                            > not responding.
                            > Does that happen for you?
                            >
                            > --
                            > Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent
                            >
                            > "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare,
                            > Sonnet 81
                            > "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia
                            > Virtue

                            > Unsubscribe:

                            > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners
                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Yolanda Graham
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 25, 2005
                              Wait! I'd like a copy as well <delurking and jumping
                              up and down>.

                              YIS,

                              Pagan

                              You can send it/them to this addy. I have cable so
                              the file size is okhere too.

                              http://mail.yahoo.com