Sun shielding headcover?

  • Melissa
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 9 6:41 PM
      I'm new to the group and I've got a question :D

      1 month or so ago, I found out that I had melanoma. It's been dealt
      with, I'm cancer free, but I need to stay out of the sun on pain of
      more cancer :D

      I'm looking into a 12-15th century german persona and I'm looking for
      headcoverings that will protect my face and neck. I'm not married in
      or out of persona, so I'm not sure if the veil/wimple will work as far
      as authenticity goes >.<

      And those waxed paper umbrellas...are they period? Those would do
      lovely things for shade :D

      Thank you in advance

      -Melissa, who will hopefully be called Elspeth Wizsilberlin
    • Kristen Dahle
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 9 6:59 PM
        A wimple and veil is a great way to keep the sun off, married or not. If I know that I'm going to be out in the sun a lot, I leave off the very top veil and pin on a straw hat instead. I get asked if I'm warm in all of the veiling, but the more linen I have on, the less sunblock I have to apply, and linen is cooler.

        I usually apply sunblock before I put my veils on. If I put it on afterward, I can end up with gaps when the veils shift. I also reapply the sunblock as directed to all skin without at least two layers of linen--no melanomas, I just burn very easily (the only disadvantage to being a redhead).

        I've never seen waxed paper umbrellas in northern European art of the Middle Ages, but I'd love to be proved wrong on this one.

        Pax,
        Elisa

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 11 7:26 AM
          I have no idea if this is period, but I once saw a woaman with a wide
          straw hat, and she pinned a veil to the hat in such a way that it
          draped to her shoulders but left her face free. Looked like a very
          practical way to avoid heat and sun.

          Has anyone ever seen this in a period illumination? I'll bet if it is
          period, it's from Italy.

          Rashid

          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Kristen Dahle" <kjdahle@c...>

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 11 7:38 AM
            unclrashid wrote:
            > straw hat, and she pinned a veil to the hat in such a way that it
            > draped to her shoulders but left her face free. (snip)
            >
            > Has anyone ever seen this in a period illumination? I'll bet if it is
            > period, it's from Italy.

            As far as I know, it's not documentable, but it does work very well for
            the purpose.

            --
            Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

            "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet 81
            "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia Virtue
          • Tonkin, Rebecca (PIRSA-SARDI)
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 11 9:47 PM
              Hi Melissa:
              Glad to hear you are now ok...
              I live in South Australia, the sun is fierce. I use a broad-brimmed straw
              hat over a veil and wimple for full sun protection. Also use shade from
              trees/pavilions as much as possible.
              I find that a wimple prevents neck and bodice burn, also ears and the back
              of the neck as well. Be sure to select a fabric which is sufficiently
              tightly woven to prevent the sun burning though it - one layer of cotton
              voile, for example, is not enough, although when folded into 2/3 layers it's
              ok. Hanky linen is good. Silk I have not yet tried, but I suspect it would
              be too thin (and too hot). The veil over the head stops the straw hat from
              messing my hair, and can also be dampened for extra coolness. Also, when you
              go inside you can then take off the straw hat and still be wearing headwear.
              Wimples are fine for "spinsters" ;-), especially outdoors to protect your
              fine pale complexion...
              HTH,
              Collette

            • Irmgart
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 12 5:36 AM
                I know this doesn't really answer your question, but...

                One way to check for the sun protection of any given fabric... take it
                outside on a sunny day and hold a layer up and look through it. If you
                can see through it well, you can bet the sun can get through also! The
                less able you are to see through it, the better.

                RIT makes a "UV protection" wash in thing. I have a package, but
                haven't used it and have no idea if it affects the breathablility of
                the fabric.

                After getting sunburned through my medium weight chemise in the
                mountains one day, I decided to start putting on sunblock *before*
                getting dressed and putting it everywhere there wasn't at least 2
                layers of fabric.

                YMMV.

                -Irmgart
                (who just wears a big straw hat and reapplys sunblock to exposed skin
                about every 2 hours)

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 12 5:53 AM
                  Irmgart wrote:

                  > RIT makes a "UV protection" wash in thing. I have a package, but
                  > haven't used it and have no idea if it affects the breathablility of
                  > the fabric.

                  Wow! I went to their website to look -- how fascinating! Let's hope it
                  works better than their dye!

                  http://www.ritdye.com/sun_guard/

                  Q. What is Rit® Sun GuardTM?

                  A. Rit® Sun GuardTM is a revolutionary new laundry additive that washes
                  sun protection into clothing and helps block more than 96 percent of the
                  sun's harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays from reaching the skin.

                  Q. How does Rit® Sun GuardTM work?

                  A. TINOSORBTM FD, a new UV protectant produced by Ciba Specialty
                  Products is the active ingredient. When added to a regular wash load, it
                  penetrates the fibers and absorbs UV light rather than allowing it to
                  pass through the fabric.

                  Q. Will Rit® Sun GuardTM change the feel, color or comfort
                  (breathability) of clothing?

                  A. No. The color, texture and comfort of the clothing will be the same
                  as it was before treatment with Rit® Sun GuardTM.

                  --
                  Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

                  In the 1960s I was taught that Werner von Braun and the other Germans
                  admitted to the United States had been Nazis in name only and had not
                  perpetrated war crimes. This is not true. -- M.G. Lord in _Astro_Turf_
                • Karen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 13 2:23 PM
                    Rashid wrote:

                    > I have no idea if this is period, but I once saw a woaman with a
                    > wide straw hat, and she pinned a veil to the hat in such a way that
                    > it draped to her shoulders but left her face free. Looked like a
                    > very practical way to avoid heat and sun.
                    >
                    > Has anyone ever seen this in a period illumination?

                    The closest I've seen is the illustration of the Wife of Bath in the
                    Ellesmere Chaucer --
                    http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/sc/chaucer/6wife_of_bath2b.jpg --
                    and his description of her "ywympled wel, and on hir heed an hat / As
                    brood as is a bokeler or a targe" (General Prologue, ll. 472-473).

                    Karen