Greetings/Intro

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 7 12:27 PM
      This is Dona Bianca of the Outlands.
      Recently returned from a absence of 8 years.
      Currently residing in Dragonsspine.
      I just returned from Glory and had a fabulous time.
      Have spent the last week going through boxes and bins digging out garb,
      fabric and half finished projects.
      I'm a degreed designer with experience in hand blocked fur felt hats
      and fabric covered buckram.
      I specialize in late period but am delving into ealier periods just for
      giggles.
      Am in the process of compiiling and scanning pics of my work and will
      post link when it's up and running.

      ~B.
    • danabren@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 7 1:18 PM
        >Am in the process of compiiling and scanning pics of my work and will
        >post link when it's up and running.
        >
        >~B.

        Looking forward to seeing them :)
        Danabren
        East

        ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
        Come to the Dark Side. We have cookies.
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 7 2:14 PM
          danabren@... wrote:

          >>Am in the process of compiiling and scanning pics of my work and will
          >>post link when it's up and running.

          > Looking forward to seeing them :)

          Me too! And welcome, Bianca!

          --
          Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pr? Argent

          "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet LXXXI
          "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia Virtue
        • Paul Adams
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 8 4:51 AM
            Oh wise and knowledgable people of hats :) I have a dilema.

            I have been playing around with a "pointy cone hat" for some weeks now.
            All the piccies I've looked at have the hat positioned behind the ears.

            PROBLEM: I have major sticky outy ears. So I'm thinking I could just move
            the base of the hat to cover tips of ears and keep them under control but
            this will alter the look of the hennin.

            DO YOU a) alter hat and keep ears under control
            b) leave hat behind ears and perhaps never wear it
            c) have any pictures of pointy hats covering ears (not ones with
            lapets)?

            Please help me sort out my head.
            Branwen
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 8 5:32 AM
              > PROBLEM: I have major sticky outy ears. So I'm thinking I could just move
              > the base of the hat to cover tips of ears and keep them under control but
              > this will alter the look of the hennin.
              >
              > DO YOU a) alter hat and keep ears under control
              > b) leave hat behind ears and perhaps never wear it
              > c) have any pictures of pointy hats covering ears (not ones with
              > lapets)?

              Hmm.

              I've neever seen a picture of the pointy style covering the ears. At
              most I've seen a shaped bottom edge which goes down behind the ears to
              near the top of the neck.

              Only you can decide if having your ears out is going to make you feel
              peculiar -- but you might want to ask some friends of yours to tell you
              the truth about how it looks. Possibly it's not as noticeable to others.

              A cone which pins your ears down would probably be very uncomfortable.
              Ears don't take pressing very well. Have you tried medical adhesive to
              stick closer to your head?

              Failing all that, you could go with the probably-undocumentable sheer
              silk wimple or band under the chin, which passes over your ears and
              under the cone (probably pinned at the top of your head.)

              --
              Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pr? Argent

              In the 1960s I was taught that Werner von Braun and the other Germans
              admitted to the United States had been Nazis in name only and had not
              perpetrated war crimes. This is a lie generated by our government. --
              M.G. Lord in _Astro_Turf_
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 8 7:03 AM
                I agree with Cynthia, but I would upgrade the degree of pain involved
                from "very uncomfortable" to "nearly unbearable after an hour or so".

                I like the sheer wimple or barbette idea.

                Rashid

                --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@t...>
                wrote:

                > > PROBLEM: I have major sticky outy ears. So I'm thinking I could
                just move
                > > the base of the hat to cover tips of ears and keep them under
                control but
                > snip>
                > Hmm.
                >
                Snip> A cone which pins your ears down would probably be very
                uncomfortable.
                > Ears don't take pressing very well.
              • Karen
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 8 7:04 AM
                  Another option would be to use the black drape that goes over the base
                  of the headdress; perhaps Maria Portinari was similarly afflicted with
                  sticky-outy-ears? :)

                  Portinari Triptych by Hugo van der Goes, 1476-79
                  http://www.wga.hu/html/g/goes/portinar/right.html

                  Karen
                • Rebecca Perry
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 8 8:20 AM
                    Hello! I'm in the Outlands too, and was at Glory, although I saw little
                    besides my camp and the White Rose Inn while teaching a class. :-( That
                    hat-blocking experience sure could be handy. Will you be at Baron's War?

                    BTW, sorry Enan, I meant to stop by but I just couldn't get away.

                    Savina

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 8 9:27 AM
                      Likely I will be at Barons.
                      In the future I could concievably do a class on hand blocking as well
                      as making your own blocks and misc things.

                      ~B.

                      "Rebecca Perry"wrote:
                      > Hello! I'm in the Outlands too, and was at Glory, although I saw
                      little
                      > besides my camp and the White Rose Inn while teaching a class. :-(
                      That
                      > hat-blocking experience sure could be handy. Will you be at Baron's
                      War?
                      > Savina

                      7/6/2005
                    • Stephanie Maynard
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 15 4:34 PM
                        >This is Dona Bianca of the Outlands.
                        >Recently returned from a absence of 8 years.

                        Hey, B! Glad to hear you've returned to the land of the living. We've
                        missed you.

                        Selene, Atenveldt
                      • Stephanie Maynard
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 15 4:40 PM
                          >In the future I could concievably do a class on hand blocking as well
                          >as making your own blocks and misc things.

                          B, I've just been getting in to making my own blocks and would love to hear
                          any suggestions or insights you have that you'd be willing to share with the
                          list...

                          Love the pics.

                          Selene
                        • Sharon
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 15 5:02 PM
                            Well, the blocks I have made so far are just brim blocks.
                            They are buckram and wire based and then covered in plaster cloth.
                            Once the plaster cloth has dried I put several layers of shellac all
                            over the block.
                            Each block lasts about 40-50 moldings.
                            I only have one surviving block which is a wide brimmed pirate brim.
                            As far as wooden block I havn'e delved tinto that 'cause i need another
                            hobby like i need an hole in my head.
                            I do have some sources for getting custom blocks made if you interested.

                            ~B.