Monmouth cap pattern

  • Paet VanDyke-Burcham
    Message 1 of 4 , May 19 11:12 AM
      I have been following the "rabbit ear" hat thread with great interest............ but my request is for something much more simple. Does anyone have a pattern they can share with me for a Monmouth Cap. I have found a "modern" version but it just doesn't look right proportion-wise. Also, can anyone give me sites on the Internet where I might be able to get a good look at various caps for the middle and lower classes of the middle ages?

      Grainna an Acla

      Paet Burcham
      frogpondcottage@...
      www.paets-textiles.com

    • ciorstan@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 4 , May 19 11:36 AM
        It's my understanding that this is a knitted item, rather than millinery. That said, here you go:

        http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/hats/monmouth.htm

        http://polaris.umuc.edu/~jthies/sca/knitmonmouthcap.html

        Hope this helps.

        ciorstan

        Message 3 of 4 , May 19 11:36 AM
          Paet VanDyke-Burcham wrote:

          Does anyone have a pattern they can share with me for a Monmouth Cap. I
          have found a "modern" version but it just doesn't look right
          proportion-wise.

          Is that the knitted thing from the Museum of London books?

          --
          Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

          The SCA is very tolerant of all types, including the ones that refuse to
          take their meds. -- Anton of Winteroak
        • Paet VanDyke-Burcham
          Message 4 of 4 , May 19 4:43 PM
            Thank you, this is just what I was looking for! Now, please tell me the definition of millinary vs. knitted or felted head wear. I thought all head coverings were considered the same and were part of millinary. Inquiring minds want to know.

            Grainne................

            Paet Burcham
            frogpondcottage@...
            www.paets-textiles.com

            It's my understanding that this is a knitted item, rather than millinery. That said, here you go:

            http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/hats/monmouth.htm

            http://polaris.umuc.edu/~jthies/sca/knitmonmouthcap.html

            Hope this helps.

            ciorstan

            > I have been following the "rabbit ear" hat thread with great
            > interest............ but my request is for something much more simple. Does
            > anyone have a pattern they can share with me for a Monmouth Cap. I have found a
            > "modern" version but it just doesn't look right proportion-wise. Also, can
            > anyone give me sites on the Internet where I might be able to get a good look at
            > various caps for the middle and lower classes of the middle ages?
            >
            > Grainna an Acla
            >
            > Paet Burcham

            Community email addresses:
            Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com