Burgundian hat help

  • kgarner1@ix.netcom.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 19, 2001
      Greetings to the list!

      I just finished a Burgundian hat, and I need some help fixing the
      counter-weighting in it. It's one of the type with the stuffed roll
      on top over a buckram frame which makes the sides (kinda like a
      reticulated headdress except I neglected to add wire). Anyway, it
      sits on my head fine until I add the veiling, at which point it slips
      back on my head and causes a blinding headache within about 20-30
      minutes.

      Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can use to counter-weight it
      so it sits more forward? I've toyed with the idea of taking it apart
      and installing a wire loop at the front (integral with wire added to
      the framework). Are there any further thoughts out there? :) I would
      greatly appreciate any help with this - it's the first one like this
      I've done, so I'm not entirely sure of what I'm doing. :)

      Julian ferch Rhys
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 19, 2001
        My earliest hat of this sort has a pound of BBs in a small fabric pouch,
        hidden behind the roll. It works fairly well.

        Alternately: a lighter weight veil.

        --
        Cynthia du Pré Argent (Hartshorn-dale, East)

        What's vice today may be virtue tomorrow. -- Henry Fielding
      • kgarner1@ix.netcom.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 19, 2001
          > My earliest hat of this sort has a pound of BBs in a small fabric
          pouch,
          > hidden behind the roll. It works fairly well.

          Hmmm... I hadn't thought of that. Do you think fishing weights would
          work? I don't have any BBs around at the moment. :)

          > Alternately: a lighter weight veil.

          It's chiffon. It surprised me how heavy that stuff was! :) Maybe the
          hat was just sitting in place precariously to begin with. :)

          Thank you!! :)

          Julian
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 20, 2001
            > Hmmm... I hadn't thought of that. Do you think fishing weights would
            > work? I don't have any BBs around at the moment. :)

            Yep -- anything heavy and small for their weight, should do.

            > It's chiffon. It surprised me how heavy that stuff was! :) Maybe the
            > hat was just sitting in place precariously to begin with. :)

            What is the fiber? It's likely that silk would be lighter weight than
            poly, although I've never done a weight test. How long is it? Although
            the pictures show veils from shoulder down to dragging on the floor,
            practicality may be a limiting factor.

            Another option might be to make the inside of the hat have more
            friction, or pin it to your hair somehow -- do you have enough hair to
            make a ponytail? If so, all you need are some of the killer hatpins
            from Greenberg& Hammer, and you can use 'em poked through the hat to
            anchor it.

            cv
            --
            Cynthia du Pré Argent (Hartshorn-dale, East)

            "We'll never know the whole truth, I suppose," said Venier. "You can be
            told the whole truth all day long, but if you won't believe it, then no,
            I don't suppose you ever will know it," Miles replied. -- _Komarr_