Re: [SCA-Milliners] Re: Comments, was Documenting

  • danabren@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2005
      > Then I figured it out and told her what she really wanted to know, which was why we were dressed that way. I said that we were in the SCA and that our outfits were from Contstantinople, around the 11th century.
      >
      > One of the other restaurant patrons leaned over and nodded sagely at that point. "Yeah, I *thought* your outfits looked Celtic!"

      *Bangs head on keyboard*
      Danabren

      Come to the Dark Side. We have cookies.
      ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
    • Renee Robinson
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2005
        My first event ever was a war. During the war, a new
        friend was mildly injured (a bug bite that she worried
        into being inflamed). Another new friend and I took
        her to the closest Emergency Room. The uninjured
        friend fell asleep in the waiting room and I noticed
        that there was a rather large circle bare of any other
        people around her. They were apparently afraid to sit
        too close.

        I left her out there to go in with the injured friend,
        and received the first, and best, question I've ever
        gotten about my garb:

        "Are you in a cult?"

        Like anyone would say: "Why, yes. Yes, we are."

        However, due to that experience, I have never felt
        self-conscious about wearing garb in public.

        Gwerith

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2005
          danabren@... wrote:

          > "Yeah, I *thought* your outfits looked Celtic!"
          > *Bangs head on keyboard*

          You'll hurt yourself, honey! Go eat some of those dark side cookies.

          "Celtic" = old, I guess.

          Then again, maybe one of them looked like Larry Bird? Or the outfits
          were white and green? (This is a Boston basketball reference. Now that
          I've been back in New England for several years, my pronounciation has
          gotten incorrect again, too.)

          --
          Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

          Binary-numbered clock & Geek Mandalas!
          http://www.cafeshops.com/virtueventures
        • danabren@verizon.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2005
            > You'll hurt yourself, honey! Go eat some of those dark side cookies.

            Mmmmm.....chocolate chips....

            > Then again, maybe one of them looked like Larry Bird? Or the outfits
            > were white and green?

            *howls with laughter*

            Danabren

            Come to the Dark Side. We have cookies.
            ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
          • Julie
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6, 2005
              That shows how badly our teaching demos are needed�<G>

              My husband and I wore our Byzantine outfits to an event, and when we went
              out for a bite afterwards, a lady approached me rather timidly and asked,
              "What religion are you?"

              Now, I was in comfortable clothing, so I'd forgotten that we were "dressed
              funny". I'm afraid I blinked and answered, "Uh, Catholic?"

              Then I figured it out and told her what she really wanted to know, which
              was why we were dressed that way. I said that we were in the SCA and that
              our outfits were from Contstantinople, around the 11th century.

              One of the other restaurant patrons leaned over and nodded sagely at that
              point. "Yeah, I *thought* your outfits looked Celtic!"

              <SIGHHHHHH>

              Arwen

            • Julie
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 6, 2005
                ROTFL! Medieval garb as crowd control. Maybe I should try it at
                Disneyland?
                Julie

                -----Original Message-----The uninjured
                friend fell asleep in the waiting room and I noticed
                that there was a rather large circle bare of any other
                people around her. They were apparently afraid to sit
                too close.

              • J. May