McCall's Pattern

  • legolasfic
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 21 7:28 PM
      got this pattern yesterday for .99

      http://tinyurl.com/6umds

      any chance any of these are truly period? and if so what time period?
      I was looking particularly at the top two, but think maybe the one on
      the right (as you are looking at them) might be frowned upon in SCA
      because it's a 'crown' of sorts.

      thoughts?

      Thanks!

      AElfwyn
    • Tonkin, Rebecca (PIRSA-SARDI)
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 21 8:45 PM
        Hi:
        Top left (on cover) is late 1200- early 1300's I think. Henry II's Queen
        Eleanor wore one, IIRC, although not with decoration around the base. I
        don't know how the pattern version is made, but it's a good look. Cynthia
        Virtue's site has an info page on some similar to these:
        http://www.virtue.to/articles/coffee.html
        Top right is the same thing, really, but with embattlements (which I would
        not have in the SCA, even if it's not metal, just my opinion though).
        Lower left is a faked look of covered buns, with a coronetty thing on top.
        Look in the early to mid 1400's. They used padded rolls or real coronets
        though, and hair-nets.
        Cynthia has a how-to with some info on her site:
        http://www.virtue.to/articles/easy_cauls.html
        The cap thing is probably more late 1500's, tudor/elizabethan.
        Hope this gives you places to start looking.
        Rebecca

      • Ciorstan
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 21 9:19 PM
          legolasfic wrote:

          > got this pattern yesterday for .99
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/6umds
          >
          > any chance any of these are truly period? and if so what time period?
          > I was looking particularly at the top two, but think maybe the one on
          > the right (as you are looking at them) might be frowned upon in SCA
          > because it's a 'crown' of sorts.
          >
          > thoughts?

          A is a perfectly good muffin cap for the 16th century; B is a tad tall
          for my taste, but it says "German Air Filter Hat" to me; C is a
          countess' coronet in shape according to SCA custom, so I would eliminate
          the crenelations on the top edge and then it's fine; D is, well, it's
          possibly one way to make a set of cauls and a fillet, but I'm not really
          excited about the curvy upper edge-- I'd flatten that one out.

          YMMV.

          ciorstan
        • RenScribe@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 22 6:54 AM
            There is some finesse needed to tweak the fit of any hat so that it fits
            *you* correctly. Patterns are a good place to start, but realize, even with the
            best pattern you will most likely need to make some small changes. A good fit
            is key to making a hat something you want to wear and not something that is
            pretty, but so uncomfortable that you take it off mid way through an event.

            I didn't read the package insert to see what they are made of, but just
            based on the pictures, the McCalls hat with the cauls really looks like a costume
            to me. Don't get me wrong, IMO it's still better than nothing :-) A couple
            of things I would be careful about are ... the "cages" over the ears really
            need something to help them keep their shape, but they can't be too solid or
            else you won't be able to hear.

            Despite the fact that my cauls contain a lot of metal/wire they are very
            comfortable to wear. They take a lot of abuse ... like crushing them flat for
            packing... and they still look good. I've worn the same set for the past 7
            years at every event I attend (25+ events a year) and have only had to make minor
            repairs. I just made a second pair - not because there was anything wrong
            with the first ones, just that I had too much hair to wear them comfortably
            anymore. One of the best things about them is they are versatile. Since the
            cauls are a separate headpiece they can be worn with different hats over them. I
            can wear them just as easily with a padded roll as I can with a circlet ...
            and sometimes I just wear them alone.

            I don't have any really good pictures of them but you may be able to make
            them out here
            _http://www.capnmac.com/sca/picturepages/2001/crown2k1/pages/DSCF0025_JPG.htm_

            (http://www.capnmac.com/sca/picturepages/2001/crown2k1/pages/DSCF0025_JPG.htm)
            I'd be happy to help anyone who wants to make a pair for themselves.

            In reverence of chivalry and honor,
            I remain ...

            Yvianne de Castel d'Avignon
            AEthelmearc

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 22 4:32 PM
              The one thing I'd add (I don't think anyone mentioned) is that the style
              which shows the veil under the chin, going up the sides of the face, out
              the top of the hat, and falling back downside along the ears is
              something I've never seen in anything other than a movie.

              cv
            • Ælfwyn
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 22 6:14 PM
                Rats. Thanks Cynthia!
                --------
                Ælfwyn
                The one thing I'd add (I don't think anyone mentioned) is that the style
                which shows the veil under the chin, going up the sides of the face, out
                the top of the hat, and falling back downside along the ears is
                something I've never seen in anything other than a movie.

                cv

                Community email addresses:
                Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
                Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

                Shortcut URL to this page:
                http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners
                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 22 6:39 PM
                  Ælfwyn wrote:

                  > Rats. Thanks Cynthia!

                  No, no, rats were used in headwear within the past century!

                  Now, if you like the cascade wimple effect, there's other ways to
                  achieve something similar, without it being the giant scarf thing. A
                  wimple and a separate veil, for example.

                  --
                  Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent
                • Yolanda Graham
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 22 6:52 PM
                    As a point of information, that hat with the veil
                    going over and around it (the toque with the
                    crennallations (sp? sorry can't spell)) looks to me
                    like it was taken almost directly from R.Turner
                    Wilcox's book the Mode in Hats and Headdress. If I
                    remember the picture correctly, in the book the top of
                    the hat is scalloped. Unfortunately, none of the
                    redrawings in this book are cited directly so you
                    can't look at what she was interpreting! Oh well but
                    it's a book on hats.....

                    YIS,

                    Pagan

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/PJ_qlB/TM

                    > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    =====
                    It is no accident that "stressed" spelled backwards is "desserts."

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 24 6:32 PM
                      Isn't this just a Hollywood misinterpretation of wimple under the hat
                      and veil on top of it? Wouldn't that be a period way to get a
                      similar look?

                      Rashid