Re: [SCA-Milliners] one-piece wimple - why?

    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 7, 2005
      I'm a fan of the drape-and-pin, and it stays on without any assistance
      from me for hours and hours. But if a one-piece works for someone, I'm
      glad they've found some way to wear a wimple that works for them.

      --
      Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

      Vengeful Venus Day! Tired of the sickly-sweet sentiments, or unlucky in
      love? Cranach Venus feeling vengeful on t-shirts & etc by yours truly:
      http://www.cafepress.com/virtueventures/483955
    • Ælfwyn
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 7, 2005
        actually, I'm in the middle of the wimple tonight and I've taken a bit from both worlds. I sewed the wimple up in back, but will still be pinning it at the top, as someone else suggested. I think though, in the long run, the drape is better on the open piece of fabric... so I will also try that and see which I think is more comfortable.

        Thanks for all your wonderful help!

        -------
        Ælfwyn
        I'm a fan of the drape-and-pin, and it stays on without any assistance
        from me for hours and hours. But if a one-piece works for someone, I'm
        glad they've found some way to wear a wimple that works for them.

        --
        Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

        Vengeful Venus Day! Tired of the sickly-sweet sentiments, or unlucky in
        love? Cranach Venus feeling vengeful on t-shirts & etc by yours truly:
        http://www.cafepress.com/virtueventures/483955

        Community email addresses:
        Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
        Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

        Shortcut URL to this page:
        http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 7, 2005
          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca Perry" <rebecca@s...>
          wrote:
          > At the risk of sounding, I don't know, peevish maybe, I have to ask
          why
          > people want a one-piece wimple?

          Non-sewer, non-crafter, non-costumer delurking here! ;)

          I've done both styles. They each have advantages. One thing the one-
          piece cowl style has going for it is that you can email Historic
          Enterprises or Revival Clothing and order one, and then you don't
          have to touch a needle. ;) (I haven't yet found the appropriate
          combination of shape and opacity in my Dharma purchases -- if anyone
          has recommendations for the right Dharma silk size/weight for a
          wimple, I'd be grateful.)

          Also, when my hair was shorter, I couldn't seem to find a good,
          reliable, sturdy way to anchor a pinned wimple (this might be because
          I have trouble braiding my own hair); it was easier
          then to pull on the one-piece, maybe stick a bobby pin at either
          temple, and pin a veil over that. Now that I have enough hair to do a
          bun on top of my head, I find I can pin a wimple and veil much more
          securely.

          In my experience, fixing hair and wrapping veils and pinning layers
          definitely takes significantly longer than whipping on a one-piece,
          so folks who don't want to be standing around in a changing room
          fiddling with their heads may well prefer the one-pieces. I'm leaning
          towards the pinned these days, partially because I think it looks a
          little better, but mostly because I need to have as little
          fabric as possible between my ears and my music-making, and I can
          sort of cheat my way into leaving the ears partially uncovered if I
          arrange and pin carefully. You can tell where my priorities are,
          huh? ;)

          -Sabine
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 8, 2005
            SabineKdL@... wrote:

            > Also, when my hair was shorter, I couldn't seem to find a good,
            > reliable, sturdy way to anchor a pinned wimple

            Interesting! How many people anchor their wimples/veils to their hair?
            (I don't; I use the bands method.)

            --

          • danabren@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 8, 2005
              > Interesting! How many people anchor their wimples/veils to their hair?
              > (I don't; I use the bands method.)
              >
              > --
              > Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

              If I don't use a circlet to keep it in place, I pin mine to a barbette (if it's early period) or to my hair (if it's in cauls or templars)

              Danabren

              ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
              "The great artists of the world are never Puritans, and seldom even ordinarily respectable."
              -H. L. Mencken
            • Eva Muehlhause
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 8, 2005
                If you wrap the wimple around your head I have found that you don't
                need to attach it to your hair. If I am wearing the chintoke and
                forehead band I usually don't have to anchor anything either. However
                I have found that if my veil is too long it tends to pull everything
                southwards and then I have resorted to bobbypins. I eventually cut
                down my longer veils because it was driving me crazy.

                Aoife Ni Aodhagain

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 8, 2005
                  Eva Muehlhause wrote:

                  > I have found that if my veil is too long it tends to pull everything
                  > southwards and then I have resorted to bobbypins. I eventually cut
                  > down my longer veils because it was driving me crazy.

                  Yeah, or they have to be very light!

                  I once made a large one of some beautiful but heavy linen. Haha. It
                  became a tablecloth after the first wearing.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 8, 2005
                    I do have one veil of light silk but I kept getting the "Something
                    about Mary" effect, you know when the front blows up and wont drape
                    properly. I ended up attaching pearls to the edge of the veil which
                    mostly keeps it behaving :-)

                    Aoife

                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 8, 2005
                      Eva Muehlhause wrote:

                      > I do have one veil of light silk but I kept getting the "Something
                      > about Mary" effect, you know when the front blows up and wont drape
                      > properly. I ended up attaching pearls to the edge of the veil which
                      > mostly keeps it behaving :-)

                      I pin in the center of the forehead if that happens. Pearls is a good
                      solution. What's the 'something about Mary' thing?

                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 8, 2005
                        > I pin in the center of the forehead if that happens. Pearls is a good
                        > solution. What's the 'something about Mary' thing?

                        er, Cynthia, I think you need to see the movie to really appreciate the description....

                        Danabren

                        ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                        "The great artists of the world are never Puritans, and seldom even ordinarily respectable."
                        -H. L. Mencken
                      • Renee Robinson
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 8, 2005
                          Not I, as I have extremely short hair. I use your
                          bands method also, though I have found that I can skip
                          the chinband and just wear the fillet when I wear a
                          wimple. I use a good stiff linen that doesn't slip,
                          and I imagine I would have to use both bands for
                          something smoother. I typically use a rectangular
                          piece of linen for my wimple and just overlap and pin
                          it on top. When I pin the veil at the sides, I pin
                          through wimple and fillet.

                          I find that the bands also help to hold my hair firm
                          and keep the wispies from creeping out when I've gone
                          too long between cuts. I'll wear both bands when my
                          hair gets to that creeping stage.

                          I have a tube wimple also. I generally wear it only
                          when it is cold. For some reason it seems warmer to
                          me. It doesn't seem to stay on very well though. It
                          frequently slips back, taking the veil with it. I
                          don't have any hair to anchor it to.

                          Gwerith/Renee

                          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 8, 2005
                            danabren@... wrote:
                            >>I pin in the center of the forehead if that happens. Pearls is a good
                            >>solution. What's the 'something about Mary' thing?
                            >

                            > er, Cynthia, I think you need to see the movie to really appreciate the description....

                            Is that the one with a dog in a full-body cast?

                            cv
                          • danabren@verizon.net
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 8, 2005
                              > > er, Cynthia, I think you need to see the movie to really appreciate the description....
                              >
                              > Is that the one with a dog in a full-body cast?
                              >
                              > cv

                              Yep

                              Danabren

                              ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                              "The great artists of the world are never Puritans, and seldom even ordinarily respectable."
                              -H. L. Mencken
                            • Sabine
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 8, 2005
                                --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@t...>
                                wrote:
                                > Interesting! How many people anchor their wimples/veils to their
                                hair?
                                > (I don't; I use the bands method.)

                                Huh! I actually feel a little foolish now... I do use the bands if
                                I'm wearing just a veil, but never even thought to try them for a
                                wimple. I'll try that for the dance revel this Saturday and see how
                                it goes.

                                Pinning to a tight bun is fairly secure in my experience; some
                                experimenting has shown me that if only I had enough hair to make and
                                keep decent-sized buns on both sides of my head, pinning the wimple
                                to them would give a very authentic-looking extra-width-at-the-
                                temples appearance. Alas, my hair is wimpy! ;)

                                -Sabine

                                =====
                                *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
                                La musique est une science, qui veut qu'on rit et chante et danse
                                (Music is a science that would have us laugh, sing, and dance)
                                -Guillaume de Machaut, (c. 1300-1377)

                                Music in the East Kingdom!
                                http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/ekmusicalstudies
                                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                              • Tonkin, Rebecca (PIRSA-SARDI)
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 8, 2005
                                  False hair. Attached to bands is probably most secure.
                                  Yay, Princess Leia buns! ;-)
                                  Rebecca

                                • Tonkin, Rebecca (PIRSA-SARDI)
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 8, 2005
                                    My method varies - if I have time, and it's a big event (which means I'll be
                                    dancing), I use a veil pinned to a fillet, which is reasonably secure. If
                                    outdoors, I put on a fillet, then wrap & pin a wimple (circle folded in half
                                    on the bias, usually) and pin a veil (circle) on top of that. (No sunburn
                                    for me!)
                                    If I have my hair done in such a way that pinning to the hair will work, I
                                    can pin straight to that. I find that vertical plaits are not good for
                                    attaching veils, but hair braided and wound around the head is, as long as
                                    the hair is secure.
                                    All of this tends to depend on the relative numbers of pins, hairpins, and
                                    bands that are findable at any given time...
                                    Rebecca

                                  • Rebecca Perry
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 8, 2005
                                      I agree. I'm always happy to see head-coverings at all, they're so rare
                                      around here. Just wondering, really...

                                      Savina

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 8, 2005
                                        I use the kerchief as the foundation layer, and pin to that, except that I
                                        usually have my hair in a bun at the back, and to get it to drape right
                                        sometimes I pin into that (through the kerchief.) So my answer is yes and
                                        no...

                                        Savina

                                      • RenScribe@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 8, 2005
                                          In a message dated 2/8/2005 6:46:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                          tonkin.rebecca@... writes:

                                          All of this tends to depend on the relative numbers of pins, hairpins, and
                                          bands that are findable at any given time...

                                          I used to have the same problem until I bought a nice toiletries bag (now
                                          called my circlet bag) and started keeping all of my things in it. The bag is
                                          about 10x12x5 inches. It matches the rest of my luggage and I can slip the
                                          strap over the handle of one of the wheeled suitcases or over a hanger (for day
                                          events) and don't have to worry about forgetting any of my headgear at home.

                                          The majority of the space in the bag gets taken up with my circlet, cauls,
                                          wimples and veils... but there are oodles of pockets for keeping pins, comb,
                                          elastic bands, spare contacts, Brasso & a rag ...there's even room for my
                                          jewelry.

                                          When I unzip the bag the whole way, there is a swivel hook for hanging it up
                                          (great for hanging on the back of a door. pavilion pole or bunk bed) It has
                                          a small mirror attached, which comes in really handy. Even when hanging,
                                          nothing falls out and everything I need is right there in front of me.

                                          When I put on mundanes, everything goes back into the circlet bag. When I
                                          get home, things that need it get cleaned and then go back into the circlet bag
                                          for storage. I don't have to track down anything for the next event. :-)

                                          Yvianne

                                        • Giovanna d'Este
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 8, 2005
                                            I have mid-back length hair of one length that I bind into a bun on the back
                                            of my head. Then I use the bands and draping system with pins. One pin goes
                                            up into my bun (forehead band), one I can generally tuck the point of into
                                            the linen of the band (chin band) I use a folded oval veil for the wimple,
                                            which I pin at the crown and tuck into the folds of cloth there, and then
                                            lay a large rectangular veil over the top of my head, pinning it to the
                                            crossing of the bands at the sides of my face so that no hair shows, and
                                            sort of tucking the points of the pins in the air space caused by my
                                            glasses. I mostly don't get poked.

                                            That's when I wear veils. Otherwise I'm all about the Burgundian hats. And I
                                            currently really, really wanna make a balzo. After A&S, though, after
                                            A&S....

                                            Al vostro servizio,
                                            Signora Giovanna d'Este

                                            Vert, on a billet Or three fleurs-de-lys, one and two, sable, a bordure
                                            dancetty Or.

                                            "Numquam Succumbe"
                                          • Eva Muhlhause
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Feb 10, 2005
                                              It's a movie with Cameron Diaz, there is a famous scene when she goops
                                              something into her hair which makes the front stant up, you had to be
                                              there :-)

                                              Aoife

                                              > I do have one veil of light silk but I kept getting the "Something
                                              > about Mary" effect, you know when the front blows up and wont drape
                                              > properly. I ended up attaching pearls to the edge of the veil which
                                              > mostly keeps it behaving :-)

                                              I pin in the center of the forehead if that happens. Pearls is a good
                                              solution. What's the 'something about Mary' thing?

                                              ---