? about an Italian Ren style

  • janeravenswood
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
      or what might be an Italian Ren style. Is the little teardrop
      shaped hat that you can get for weddings, etc, period? It's the one
      that just covers the head with a point in front. I've seen them
      called "juliet caps". I've been out at the web gallery of art
      looking at paintings and haven't seen anything (yet!) that looks
      similar. I just found some cheap hat forms for this style and
      thought to make one for a gown that's been languishing.

      Darka
    • danabren@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
        > or what might be an Italian Ren style. Is the little teardrop
        > shaped hat that you can get for weddings, etc, period? It's the one
        > that just covers the head with a point in front. I've seen them
        > called "juliet caps". I've been out at the web gallery of art
        > looking at paintings and haven't seen anything (yet!) that looks
        > similar. I just found some cheap hat forms for this style and
        > thought to make one for a gown that's been languishing.
        >
        > Darka

        They're *similar* to a haircovering made of net/mesh that covers the back half of the skull and then becomes a wrap for a single braid down the back, and held in place with a ferroniere (spelling?) across the forehead. "Juliet caps" are solid, while the mesh, obviously, shows the hair beneath. I don't have access to any pix right now, but I *think* that "Lady With A Ferret", and several female saints display them quite nicely.

        Sorry I don't have immediate access to more information for you.
        Danabren

        ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
        "The great artists of the world are never Puritans, and seldom even ordinarily respectable."
        -H. L. Mencken
      • Alianora d'Argent
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
          de-lurking

          I've been doing research on Italian Ren headware for a class I'm teaching this weekend as well as for documentation on the last hat I did. I've looked at more paintings than I ever thought I would in one lifetime just for this subject.

          Although I haven't seen anything that really looks like a juliette cap, they might work for a close approximation for some of the smaller headpieces that, as you said, sit far back on the head or only cover part of either loose hair or loosely bound hair. I think there might be better, more "accurate" ways to get the look but, for a quick and easy something to put on your head, they would work. Although with Italian, you don't always have to cover your hair.

          If anyone would like to see my reasearch (realizing I'm someone no one knows :-), I'd be more than happy to send it to you privately.

          Alianora d'Argent
          Calontir

          danabren@... wrote:

          > or what might be an Italian Ren style. Is the little teardrop
          > shaped hat that you can get for weddings, etc, period? It's the one
          > that just covers the head with a point in front. I've seen them
          > called "juliet caps". I've been out at the web gallery of art
          > looking at paintings and haven't seen anything (yet!) that looks
          > similar. I just found some cheap hat forms for this style and
          > thought to make one for a gown that's been languishing.
          >
          > Darka

          They're *similar* to a haircovering made of net/mesh that covers the back half of the skull and then becomes a wrap for a single braid down the back, and held in place with a ferroniere (spelling?) across the forehead. "Juliet caps" are solid, while the mesh, obviously, shows the hair beneath. I don't have access to any pix right now, but I *think* that "Lady With A Ferret", and several female saints display them quite nicely.

          Sorry I don't have immediate access to more information for you.
          Danabren

          ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
          "The great artists of the world are never Puritans, and seldom even ordinarily respectable."
          -H. L. Mencken

          Community email addresses:
          Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
          Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

          Shortcut URL to this page:
          http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

        • janeravenswood
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2005
            thanks for all the help. I'll have to go searching for that
            painting, Lucrezia. Thanks for giving me a place to look.

            Darka

            --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Alianora d'Argent
            <alianora_dargent@y...> wrote:
            > de-lurking
            >
            > I've been doing research on Italian Ren headware for a class I'm
            teaching this weekend as well as for documentation on the last hat I
            did. I've looked at more paintings than I ever thought I would in
            one lifetime just for this subject.

            > Although I haven't seen anything that really looks like a juliette
            cap, they might work for a close approximation for some of the
            smaller headpieces that, as you said, sit far back on the head or
            only cover part of either loose hair or loosely bound hair. I think
            there might be better, more "accurate" ways to get the look but, for
            a quick and easy something to put on your head, they would work.
            Although with Italian, you don't always have to cover your hair.

            > If anyone would like to see my reasearch (realizing I'm someone no
            one knows :-), I'd be more than happy to send it to you privately.

            > Alianora d'Argent
            > Calontir
            >

            > danabren@v... wrote:
            >
            > > or what might be an Italian Ren style. Is the little teardrop
            > > shaped hat that you can get for weddings, etc, period? It's the
            one
            > > that just covers the head with a point in front. I've seen them
            > > called "juliet caps". I've been out at the web gallery of art
            > > looking at paintings and haven't seen anything (yet!) that looks
            > > similar. I just found some cheap hat forms for this style and
            > > thought to make one for a gown that's been languishing.
            > >
            > > Darka
            >
            > They're *similar* to a haircovering made of net/mesh that covers
            the back half of the skull and then becomes a wrap for a single
            braid down the back, and held in place with a ferroniere (spelling?)
            across the forehead. "Juliet caps" are solid, while the mesh,
            obviously, shows the hair beneath. I don't have access to any pix
            right now, but I *think* that "Lady With A Ferret", and several
            female saints display them quite nicely.

            > Sorry I don't have immediate access to more information for you.
            > Danabren

            > "The great artists of the world are never Puritans, and seldom
            even ordinarily respectable."
            > -H. L. Mencken

            > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

            Service.