newbie intro

  • Ælfwyn
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
      Hello,

      I'm new to the SCA (october 2004) and have made several pieces of garb already. The one thing that seems to completely confound me is veils, how to make them, how they should be worn, etc....

      Right now, I'm just looking to make a simple linen veil and wimple. If anyone could point me into the direction of a pattern or website with instructions, I'd be very grateful!

      Thanks,

      AElfwyn
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
        Welcome to the SCA!

        Ælfwyn wrote:

        > Right now, I'm just looking to make a simple linen veil and wimple.
        > If anyone could point me into the direction of a pattern or website with
        instructions, I'd be very grateful!

        I've got some info up at http://www.virtue.to/articles/veils.html and
        I'm sure there are other websites with other versions.

        --
        Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

        Vengeful Venus Day! Tired of the sickly-sweet sentiments, or unlucky in
        love? Cranach Venus feeling vengeful on t-shirts & etc by yours truly:
        http://www.cafepress.com/virtueventures/483955
      • Tonkin, Rebecca (PIRSA-SARDI)
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
          If you like, I can post a Word file in the "Files" section of a handout of a
          class I did on how to make & wear veils and wimples. It's 900K though - is
          this too big?

          Rebecca

        • Jean Hortman
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
            I'm not sure. I'll have to go look it up.

            Wyndylyn

            > If you like, I can post a Word file in the "Files" section of a handout
            of a
            > class I did on how to make & wear veils and wimples. It's 900K though - is
            > this too big?
            >
            > Rebecca
            >
            > > Hello,
            > >
            > > I'm new to the SCA (october 2004) and have made several
            > > pieces of garb already. The one thing that seems to
            > > completely confound me is veils, how to make them, how they
            > > should be worn, etc....
            > >
            > > Right now, I'm just looking to make a simple linen veil and
            > > wimple. If anyone could point me into the direction of a
            > > pattern or website with instructions, I'd be very grateful!
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > AElfwyn
          • Ælfwyn
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
              you can email it to me personally. I'm on cable so it will be fine for me. Thank you so much! to aelfwyn (at) gardenofithilien (dot) net

              Ælfwyn

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
                Sent privately
                Rebecca

              • Rebecca Perry
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
                  I've uploaded some photos to the folder with my name on it showing how I do
                  a veil and wimple. The kerchief is a square folded in half diagonally (like
                  a bandanna,) the wimple piece is a long rectangle, and the top veil is
                  square.

                  I don't know if it's how they did it, but it works very well and looks right
                  to me.

                  Savina
                  Hope that helps...

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005
                    Oh very very helpful!

                    Thank you! And thanks to everyone that took the time to answer and help!

                    One question... does anyone have a pattern to make a one piece wimple? I would think you could just measure for your head and face opening and cut on the fold with the seam going up the back? If there are no instructions to be found, I may just have to experiment. If so, I will be sure to share my findings!

                    -----
                    Ælfwyn
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005
                      > One question... does anyone have a pattern to make a one piece wimple? I would think you could just measure for your head and face opening and cut on the fold with the seam going up the back? If there are no instructions to be found, I may just have to experiment. If so, I will be sure to share my findings!
                      >
                      > -----
                      > Ælfwyn

                      I normally fold an oval veil in half, place the center point of the veil at my chin and wrap the fold edge up to frame my face, overlapping in the back. The texture of the fabric itself helps hold it in place, but a straight pin, and/or a top veil and circlet, will hold it firm.

                      Danabren

                      ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                      "The great artists of the world are never Puritans, and seldom even ordinarily respectable."
                      -H. L. Mencken
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005
                        Ælfwyn wrote:

                        > One question... does anyone have a pattern to make a one piece
                        > wimple? I would think you could just measure for your head and face
                        > opening and cut on the fold with the seam going up the back? If there
                        > are no instructions to be found, I may just have to experiment. If
                        > so, I will be sure to share my findings!

                        You mean, like a cowl, or a really looong turtleneck style? Sometimes
                        you see these in medievaloid movies, but they seem to be out of knit
                        fabric, which lets it appear more snug around the neck with little folds
                        and such.

                        I prefer the flat-piece draping methods (either a rectangle or a half
                        circle) but the cowl version would be really easy to wear, I expect.

                        I knew one woman who used a half-petticoat, y'know, the sort with the
                        elastic at the waist. Those are cylinders. If you don't want to do the
                        elastic, I would expect that a cone shape with the point cut off so you
                        have a round opening, would work. If you make the opening a little
                        wider than you really want at the face, you can then use a straight pin
                        to adjust the tension around the face from day to day with a little pleat.

                        --

                      • RenScribe@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005
                          In a message dated 2/3/2005 9:01:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                          cvirtue@... writes:

                          > One question... does anyone have a pattern to make a one piece
                          > wimple? I would think you could just measure for your head and face
                          > opening and cut on the fold with the seam going up the back? If there
                          > are no instructions to be found, I may just have to experiment. If
                          > so, I will be sure to share my findings!

                          I don't like to fuss with it once I put my headgear on ... so after a decade
                          of experimentation, here's what I have come up with.

                          My wimple pattern is more like an elongated oval that is cut in half (the
                          straight side being the selvage edge of the fabric). I use about 1 1/2 yds of
                          45" wide fabric for each one. I sew up the selvage edge leaving a hole big
                          enough for my face to peek through. I've found that putting them on with the
                          seam at the top (usually hidden under my headgear) allows the fabric to fall in
                          graceful folds across the front of my neck. I use pins and either a hat or
                          circlet to hold everything in place.

                          Yvianne
                          AEthelmearc

                        • Chris Laning
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005
                            Cynthia wrote:
                            >Ælfwyn wrote:
                            >> One question... does anyone have a pattern to make a one piece
                            >> wimple? I would think you could just measure for your head and face
                            >> opening and cut on the fold with the seam going up the back? If there
                            > >are no instructions to be found, I may just have to experiment. If
                            > >so, I will be sure to share my findings!
                            >
                            >You mean, like a cowl, or a really looong turtleneck style? Sometimes
                            >you see these in medievaloid movies, but they seem to be out of knit
                            >fabric, which lets it appear more snug around the neck with little folds
                            >and such.
                            >
                            >I prefer the flat-piece draping methods (either a rectangle or a half
                            >circle) but the cowl version would be really easy to wear, I expect.

                            It is. While of course modern logic is never a reliable guide to what people actually did in period, it does seem like a logical construction to me.

                            Mine sort of came into being by accident. I have been wearing a wimple under a sort of turban-style head wrap lately (several decades later than the rest of my clothes, but I like the look). The only problem with this getup is that, while all my hair is covered, there's nothing covering the nape of my neck unless I pull the sides of the wimple around to the back of my head and pin it shut. From there it's a very short step to sewing it shut....

                            The only stylistic drawback I can see is that such a wimple does hang a little lower in the front than in the back. But as long as it comes down over my shoulders in back, I don't see a problem with that or feel any necessity to cut the cloth to make it even all around.

                            Besides, I like _not_ having a long veil down my back. Delightful as it looks, unless it's silk, it tends to "stick" to my back and make turning my head difficult.

                            Christian de Holacombe

                            0 Chris Laning
                            | <claning@...>
                            + Davis, California
                          • Dame Rachel (Thaya Shaeffer)
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 4, 2005
                              Does this not put the other end of the seam down the center of your neck / chest?
                              Or have I misunderstood your description?
                              Fondly,
                              Baroness Rachel

                              cvirtue@... writes:

                              > One question... does anyone have a pattern to make a one piece
                              > wimple? I would think you could just measure for your head and face
                              > opening and cut on the fold with the seam going up the back? If there
                              > are no instructions to be found, I may just have to experiment. If
                              > so, I will be sure to share my findings!

                              I don't like to fuss with it once I put my headgear on ... so after a decade
                              of experimentation, here's what I have come up with.

                              My wimple pattern is more like an elongated oval that is cut in half (the
                              straight side being the selvage edge of the fabric). I use about 1 1/2 yds of
                              45" wide fabric for each one. I sew up the selvage edge leaving a hole big
                              enough for my face to peek through. I've found that putting them on with the
                              seam at the top (usually hidden under my headgear) allows the fabric to fall in
                              graceful folds across the front of my neck. I use pins and either a hat or
                              circlet to hold everything in place.

                              Yvianne
                              AEthelmearc

                              Community email addresses:
                              Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
                              Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

                              Shortcut URL to this page:
                              http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

                              = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
                              �There have always been tyrants, and for a time
                              they prosper. But they always loose in the end, always.�
                              - M Gandhi
                              = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
                              SCA: Dame Rachel Ravenlock, OP
                              Legal: Mrs. Thaya G. Shaeffer
                              Kingdom of Artemisia, Barony of Arn Hold
                              (208) 322-3444 before 9:00pm MST please!

                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 7, 2005
                                In a message dated 2/4/2005 10:29:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                damethaya@... writes:

                                Does this not put the other end of the seam down the center of your neck /
                                chest?
                                Or have I misunderstood your description?

                                The wimples I make only have one seam. They are cut out like an elongated
                                oval that has been cut in half ( ... or shaped like a D) The fabric is folded
                                in half and the straight edge gets sewn together leaving an opening near the
                                fold large enough for my face to show through.

                                I use a one piece wimple for various reasons, but first and foremost because
                                it works best for *me*.

                                I tried pinning a rectangle as a wimple and I didn't like the way it felt at
                                all. So long as I was sitting indoors it was good enough, but try to do
                                anything that required movement and I spent as much time rearranging the wimple
                                and re-pinning it as I did getting anything done at events. True ladies of high
                                nobility never had to run around a site looking for scrolls that are
                                desperately needed immediately, carry their champion's armor, marshal a list or
                                chase after their children. :-)

                                I spend *a lot of time* at the list field. The more layers of full coverage
                                I have, the less sunburn I get.

                                It is bad enough when someone hugs me and a pin pokes into my skin, it's
                                worse when it's my husband, children or friends getting stuck by one of my pins

                                I usually wear an arrangement of wimple, cauls, veil and circlet. I braid
                                and coil my hair on the sides and then put my wimple on over top. Before I got
                                the hang of it I used to have trouble putting the cauls on over the wimple.
                                Things went easier if I adjusted the wimple and pinned it to the braids... then
                                set the cauls on. I could remove the pins through the netting after
                                everything was in place. It still requires a couple of pins to keep my veil in place
                                but it's only 2 pins and I can adjust them so that I don't jet them jammed
                                into me ... or anyone else.

                                Yvianne