RE: [SCA-Milliners] duc de berry hours - april/may

  • Guenievre de Monmarche
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 20, 2005
      I made a hat based on that image and another image from Terence des Dukes
      which is similar, except I wanted different colors so I used peackock eyes.
      It took about a hundred eyes worth of feathers, and I could have used a few
      more, but it was easily that fluffy. I was basing this on the fact that
      there is evidence of them having used peacock feathers for "ghirlandras" in
      Italy, and since my persona is from southern France, I thought it wasn't a
      huge stretch. Another friend of mine has made that hat out of feathers, I
      believe marabou of some sort. I don't think it's fur, unless it's REALLY
      long pile fur, but even then both her hat and the guy's hat have an
      impression of "lightness" or "fluffiness" that I don't think fur would give.

      Guenievre
      (who will post images of the peacock hat and its construction after I finish
      webbing them).

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 20, 2005
        Guenievre de Monmarche wrote:

        > I don't think it's fur, unless it's REALLY
        > long pile fur, but even then both her hat and the guy's hat have an
        > impression of "lightness" or "fluffiness" that I don't think fur would give.

        I'm lucky to have a large-scale poster of the image; the heads are an
        inch or so high. I can't make a determination between feathers and fur
        on this, even at that level of magnification. The black hat seems
        rather spiky for fur, but the fur collars of the men are somewhat spiky
        also. The obvious vertical ostrich type feathers aren't that different
        than what's on the stuffed roll.

        So I think either is a reasonable choice.

        Side note: while staring at it, I realized that in the garden, there's
        an arched arbor that goes up to the walls. When the vines grow over it
        in the summer, it would provide a cool shade walkway. Ideal for trysts. :)

        --
        Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

        Would you like to spend a week at a cottage on the Maine coast? Family
        business: $642 for a week, beds for 5 people. More details and photos at
        http://www.virtue.to/cottages.html
      • Katherine Throckmorton
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 20, 2005
          Greetings!

          I recently finished making a Russian hat for my son, the lining and edging around the brim were made out of a good quality, long pile (around 2 inches) sheep's skin. FWIW, the appearance is remarkably similar to the pictures you posted. This isn't my period, but it might be worth experimenting with sheep's skin.

          -Katherine

          The number of sauces at the feast is directly proportional to the length of your dags times the cost of the material.                                                                                                                 -Sliverwing's 4th Law of SCA Dynamics