OT: Stash Relief (Cross Posted)

  • borderlands15213
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2005
      Good gentles;

      It's a new year, and most of us have made resolutions.
      Is one of yours to reduce your stash? Not buy any more fabric until
      your existing supply has been reduced by so much? Not buy any more
      except what's necessary to USE what you have: interfacing, thread,
      seam binding, whatever you use of that sort of thing, in your
      construction?

      Well, as I've been reading the mundane reports of the relief efforts
      under way in the Pacific, the thought came to me:

      Most of us have stashes, and a lot of the stashes have natural
      fibers, very comfy in the heat and humidity that those of us in the
      northern hemisphere AREN"T experiencing right now. And most of us
      keep on acquiring fabric, and find that a lot of the older stuff in
      the stash just doesn't interest us today.
      That cotton print you bought on spec, just because it was pretty, but
      for which you had no specific plan? A two-yard length of lightweight
      linen you didn't resist because it was such a steal, even though the
      color makes *you* look vaguely jaundiced? That cotton gauze
      intended for chemises BEFORE the authenticity bug bit you so hard,
      and today your motto is "Linen or nothing?" Bright linen-rayon
      blend for a special project for your special someone, acquired two
      weeks before you broke up AND the authenticity bug bit?
      Very enthusiastic we were when we made these purchases. (I was
      downright euphoric, for some of the ones I've made, but that fabric
      is still sitting unused.) Today we may not be as enthusiastic about
      using those purchases for their original purposes.

      The December 26th disaster in southern Asia and India has left
      millions homeless.
      You've read details; no need to recount those stories here.

      Many of those disaster victims have lost everything except their
      lives, and in addition to food, clean water, and medicines, they need
      *clothing.*
      Doubtless *any* clothing would be appreciated, but many of us could
      cull our stashes, and help the relief effort a little bit, too.
      I know you're busy; most of us are. But if you can spare a few
      hours, and put your more personal projects on hold for just a little
      while....
      Why not sew up a few salawar (those middle eastern pants which aren't
      the poufy "harem" or dancing girl trousers, and my
      apologies for any misspellings) or short tunics or long tunics and
      kimono-ish coats or short jackets?
      The geometrically cut T-tunic, wasting virtually nothing, wouldn't be
      out of place, either.
      Men, women, boys, girls, babies... All ages.
      It's helpful to bear in mind, however, a number of cultures in that
      part of the world disapprove of any representation of sentient life
      forms, and others frown on graven images of any sort, and to select
      prints or other decoration accordingly.

      Those gentles not confident enough of their own sewing abilities to
      feel comfortable offering their completed works to disaster victims
      might make up care packages of yardage and some hand sewing needles
      and spools of thread, remembering that the reason we so encourage
      natural fibers is how comfortable they are in heat, cold and
      humidity, and southern Asia and India are going to be warm--and wet.
      Perhaps some embroidery floss might be included: someone, somewhere
      in all that devastation might be glad of a task that also provided
      them with an opportunity to create a tiny bit of beauty.

      There are a number of relief agencies to whom tunic dresses, pants,
      caftans, and the like, may be sent. Oxfam is one, the Red Cross (in
      your country) is another.

      If every stitcher on this list or in your shire or barony or province
      or principality or kingdom made and donated just two garments, well,
      that would be something. It won't answer ALL the needs, but it will
      help, and it will make a difference.

      The great statesman Edmund Burke said, "The greatest error is made by
      him who does nothing because he could do only a little."

      Yseult the Gentle
      Oaken Region,
      Middle Kingdom