Re: [SCA-Milliners] Re: hennins and crowns

  • Elizabeth Bair
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 9, 2004

      Charlotte Wurtzel wrote:
      > I don't think that I'd really want to wear it very often,
      > instead, I'd trade it out for period headdress most of the time. Do people do
      > this? Is there pushback for being "stealth"? Anybody get snarky about it?

      Keep in mind that most of our responses are colored by mundane culture,
      where flash and show and large jewelry is currently considered gauche,
      and has been for most of the past hundred years or so.

      Exactly! However, there is a bit of an undercurrent in some places, or maybe just among some groups of people (?) of.... I don't really know how to express it, but a feeling that if someone is actually visibly wearing their hard earned tokens of rank they are somehow putting other (lower ranking) people down, or they must have an overinflated opinion of their own importance, or somesuch. It ain't necessarily so. It doesn't take rank and/or a coronet to be a self-righteous jerk, and as often as not the person wearing those tokens of rank is as shy, unassuming and modest as the person wearing no tokens of rank.

      I've seen medieval crowns in pictures (a few surviving ones.) Even the
      "delicate" ones are big. Have you ever seen an SCA non-Royal wear
      something taller than 2"? Rarely.

      A lot has to do with your particular kingdom's customs and what folks are used to. Down here, Dukes are allowed 4", Counts 3" and barons 2". We have a number of ducal coronets that are 3 1/2 - 4". We also have a couple that are under 2". We have a lot of county coronets that are the full 3", and a number that aren't. We also have a number of court baronials that far exceed the 2" limit. Personally, I currently own 4 coronets, all of which were gifts. The tallest is 2 1/2", the smallest is basically an embattled circlet 1/2" wide. I'm not comfortable in the full 3".... it's just to much for me, personally. But there really isn't any "peer pressure" to keep coronets small down here, it's regarded as a matter of personal preference. There is a small amount of "negativism" associated with earing ANY token of rank though, but it fluctuates.

      I don't mind stealth, if it is period. Mostly. Becaus some stealth is
      used to hide things such as Laurel wreaths, and imho, by accepting
      membership in the Laurels, you signify you're willing to be a resource
      to people that need you. And how can they find you if you're wearing a
      quarter-inch laurel hidden in a hatpin?

      Agreed on all counts. I sometimes end up not wearing a laurel medallion because I simply don't have one that fits what I'm wearing. I don't wear coronets all the time either, and have a lot of really beautiful period hats that I also like to wear. If I'm working in the kitchen all day or otherwise doing any kind of real labor, or going stealth so I can hang out in the back with my friends and get into trouble, you won't find any tokens of rank on me. But the rest of the time I do try to wear them.

      I agree with Dame Cynthia.... I accepted membership into the order of the laurel, and when I did so I agreed to all of the responsibilities that entails, including being a resource, to be an example and to be of assistance to anyone who needs it, whether the assistance be arts related or not. I feel the same way about royal peerage - at each step along the way, I agreed to take that step and to accept both the privileges and the responsibilites that went along with it. Again, those responsibilities involve being available, being a resource, being an example and, in the case of royal peerage being a public figure. I may not LIKE all the responsibilities. I may not be particularly comfortable in the role. But I accepted the good AND the bad.

      I mentally designed a way to get some of those crowns-on-stuffed-rolls
      looks you see sometimes; it would be very nonperiod -- crown sections on
      corkscrew pins, that you could twist into the roll as needed. I never
      had them made up, though; I decided it was too bizzarre.

      I'm looking at the reticulated headdresses and have a cunning plan that I want to try. I mostly want to do this, because, well..... I haven't seen anyone who has done it so it's an interesting challenge.

      dulcia
    • uxbridgefox
      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 10, 2004
        Hi,

        I just posted a few scans from Medieval Women's Calendars with a few
        alternatives to the henin in a folder called.. henin. There is a
        pill box hat that might do very well with a cornonet.

        As far as your old henin being heavy, I've started weaving them from
        reed, I posted a picture of my hat uncovered. It is really light a
        25 inch long hat that weighs 8oz after it has been covered in
        fabric, it is quite comfortable. And it is quite easy to weave them
        too.

        Good Luck.
        Eleanor le Brun