New to the list

  • vicopisano@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 8, 2001
      Good day. I am new to the list an am developing my italian
      Renaissance persona (1450-1550). I am wondering what sort of
      headpieces would be best for my persona. Most of the pictures that I
      have looked at the women have their hair in a snood/hairnet or the
      hair is done with what I was told to be hair taped. Any information
      would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks,

      Maura da Vicopisano
    • kcncress@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 9, 2001
        Maura da Viscopisano wrote:
        "...I am....developing my italian Renaissance persona
        (1450-1550).  I am wondering what sort of headpieces would be best for my
        persona."

        I am so fascinated with the headware of this period! I'm currently working
        on a facimile of a style depicted by Ristratto D'Ignota. (Wish I had the
        oneline info to direct you to this painting..)

        It appears that hair was "stuck" up much like the styles of today. Hair may
        have been very long, so was bound with ribbons, sometimes braiding ribbons
        into the hair, then the braid or ponytail was fashioned around the head, and
        bound or pinned in place. Under this configuration is a delicate sheer "cap"
        of some sort that is worn well back on the crown, is straight at the nape,
        and covers the ears. Some Italian pictures clearly show the cap coming
        fairly far forward to the hairline, but only in a thin angled piece that
        bares the temples and the portion of the head above the ears. The ears are
        always covered with very sheer fabric that angles back sharply to the very
        tip of the crown of the head. (Is this an effect of the "ears as sex organs"
        laws, I wonder?)

        All in all, a tiny cap, fake hair bound with ribbons and pearls, and to top
        it all off a string of pearls pinned to a "V" at the center front of your
        hairline. Think hot dry summers--the get my hair off my neck feeling. I'm
        also fairly certain there was no symmetry to the hair style.

        Have fun with it!!!
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 13, 2001
          Good Mistress Dejanera, Hve you perhaps found the online info for the
          Ristratto D'Ignota portrait? I would love to see it. Thanks,
          Caitlin

          > on a facimile of a style depicted by Ristratto D'Ignota. (Wish I
          had the
          > oneline info to direct you to this painting..)
        • Melissa
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 31, 2003
            Hello I am new to the list, My name is Lady Ceara ingen Celaig, I am
            1100 Irish and would like some information on veils for my time
            peroid what type should I have.

            Thanks You Lady Ceara.
          • Helysoune
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 10, 2003
              You would more than likely use a veil and wimple. The wimple is a
              rectangluar piece of linen that drapes over the neck and chin and is
              pinned on top of the head. The veil should a circular to oval
              shaped piece of linen that is pinned over top. You could also use a
              band of linen about 1" or so wide surrounding your head as a
              foundation piece for further support (especially good on windy
              days. Cynthia Virtue has a great tutorial on the subject on her
              website at http://www.virtue.to/articles/ Hope this helps!

              YIS,
              Helysoune
              Canton of Steinsee, Kingdom of Caid

              --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa" <msceegirl@y...>
              wrote:
              > Hello I am new to the list, My name is Lady Ceara ingen Celaig, I
              am
              > 1100 Irish and would like some information on veils for my time
              > peroid what type should I have.
              >
              > Thanks You Lady Ceara.
            • Helysoune
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 10, 2003

                wrote:
                > Hello I am new to the list, My name is Lady Ceara ingen Celaig, I
                am
                > 1100 Irish and would like some information on veils for my time
                > peroid what type should I have.
                >
                > Thanks You Lady Ceara.
              • martinespotais
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 27, 2003
                  Hi all,
                  since the start of the this year I have become rather passionate
                  about making hats.I made my first hat in March and it was like love
                  at first sight.Only problem is that in New Zealand there are no
                  qualifications and from what ive found no courses,although I am still
                  researching my options.If there are any courses or people you can put
                  me touch with that would be willing to help me out that would be
                  greatly appreciated,and hey I'll work for free as long as I can just
                  get my foot in the door!I've had local shops in my town wanting to
                  put my hats in their shops,it just takes me ages to make them,but I
                  am getting faster.I'll stop rabbiting on now and thanks to those whot
                  take the time to read this message!
                  Martine
                  --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Helysoune" <helysoune@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > You would more than likely use a veil and wimple. The wimple is a
                  > rectangluar piece of linen that drapes over the neck and chin and
                  is
                  > pinned on top of the head. The veil should a circular to oval
                  > shaped piece of linen that is pinned over top. You could also use
                  > band of linen about 1" or so wide surrounding your head as a
                  > foundation piece for further support (especially good on windy
                  > days. Cynthia Virtue has a great tutorial on the subject on her
                  > website at http://www.virtue.to/articles/ Hope this helps!
                  >
                  > YIS,
                  > Helysoune
                  > Canton of Steinsee, Kingdom of Caid
                  >
                  > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa" <msceegirl@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Hello I am new to the list, My name is Lady Ceara ingen Celaig, I
                  > am
                  > > 1100 Irish and would like some information on veils for my time
                  > > peroid what type should I have.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks You Lady Ceara.
                • Mine
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 27, 2003
                    I am new and am in the process of trying to figure out all of this. So
                    please excuse me if I do not get the correct terminology. I am interested in
                    hats, but no to the impact of per say a hat. I am more interested in like
                    for example a hat but one made entirely of glass beads. I saw one and had
                    saved the website. Unforunately I had some issues with my computer and had
                    to reformate and such. So I haven't been able to find it again. It looks
                    kind of like a net that goes ontop of your head and then the back has glass
                    beads just hanging on the back. The front is attached on the forehead with
                    pearls. I am trying to figure out whether this is something that is of
                    period. As my persona is around the year 1455 from Southern Italy. I really
                    liked the way it looked. However, I don't want to take all the time it would
                    take for me to make something like that if it isn't going to be of period.
                    If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

                    Thanks In Advance
                    Elenya

                  • Juliane de Vivonne
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 28, 2003
                      Hi Elenya and welcome to the group!

                      Are you talking about a reta? Something like this?

                      http://mostlymedieval.com/reta.htm

                      Juliane

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 28, 2003
                        Juliane de Vivonne wrote:
                        > Are you talking about a reta? Something like this?

                        She might also mean something more like the modern-fantasy chain-mail
                        headpieces; here's a link to one variety:

                        http://www.sentex.net/~jpenner/jewelry.htm#Veils%20and%20Headpieces

                        Welcome, Elenya!

                        --
                        Cynthia Virtue and/or
                        Cynthia du Pré Argent

                        Medieval baby-in-a-walker toddler T-shirt: http://store.virtue.to
                      • Mine
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 28, 2003
                          WOOHOOOOOOOO yes yes yes yes yes yes someone found it. Sorry I am so
                          excited. I spent hours after I had to reformate my harddrive, and then
                          reinstalling everything, trying to find it again. Juliane you are a life
                          saver. But yes yes yes this is exactly what I was talking about. Exactly.
                          Again I appreciate your HELP a whole bunch.

                          Honorably in your debt FOREVER
                          Elenya
                          Are you talking about a reta? Something like this?

                          http://mostlymedieval.com/reta.htm

                          Juliane

                          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Mine" <sassyol@c...> wrote:
                          > I am new and am in the process of trying to figure out all of this.
                          So
                          > please excuse me if I do not get the correct terminology. I am
                          interested in
                          > hats, but no to the impact of per say a hat. I am more interested
                          in like
                          > for example a hat but one made entirely of glass beads. I saw one
                          and had
                          > saved the website. Unforunately I had some issues with my computer
                          and had
                          > to reformate and such. So I haven't been able to find it again. It
                          looks
                          > kind of like a net that goes ontop of your head and then the back
                          has glass
                          > beads just hanging on the back. The front is attached on the
                          forehead with
                          > pearls. I am trying to figure out whether this is something that is
                          of
                          > period. As my persona is around the year 1455 from Southern Italy.
                          I really
                          > liked the way it looked. However, I don't want to take all the time
                          it would
                          > take for me to make something like that if it isn't going to be of
                          period.
                          > If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.
                          >

                          > Thanks In Advance
                          > Elenya

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          Community email addresses:
                          Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
                          Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

                          Shortcut URL to this page:
                          http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

                        • Mine
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 28, 2003
                            WOOHOOO you guys/gals/ whoever are SO TERRRIFIC. You don't know how great
                            this is for me. Searching hours and hours until my eyes felt like they were
                            going to pop out. I mean when I lost all my links for my persona I almost
                            cried. Now to think that it was just a simple email. That has given me most
                            of them back. I am just truly and forever in all of your debts.

                            Honorably Yours
                            Elenya