Re: Matheron Triptych hood?

  • mathildegirlgenius
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 6, 2004
      > I'm wondering if the henins with lappets are worn over this style
      of
      > hood? The back of the hood is form fitting to the lady's head and
      > hat could fit over it.

      That's exactly what I was thinking. I'd eventually like to make a
      hennin, and thought maybe this piece would be a good base article.
      The hood would be a very sturdy base, and the lappets would
      counterweight the hennin. Also, as I'm wearing this for camping next
      weekend, it might be a nice "in camp" look, then when the public
      comes by for the demo (other events, not this one) I can put on the
      hennin and explain.

      > For the double lappet look could you pleat back the hood front pin
      > it and get the double fold look? You would not have to have a
      > really deep front either. A few hidden pins could hold the pleat
      in
      > place. The paining is a bit dark to get a lot of details.

      Yeah, I know. :-) Wish I could see the original. This is what I
      originally pictured when I saw the hood. Of course, I'm coming at it
      from a generally earlier 15th century background, so I would see
      a "hood". As Rashid pointed out, it would have to be an accordian
      pleat, which is what I was actually imagining. A hood, made very
      deep and designed to pleat twice. It would explain what looks like a
      double fold to me.

      You know, it might not even need that much to hold it - I'm going to
      do it in a heavy wool, that holds its shape pretty well. Ah, the
      joys of fulled wool - don't need to finish the edges! :-D

      Link again, just in case people don't still have it...
      http://cgfa.sunsite.dk/f/p-froment3.htm

      My only worry now is that the style is too late for me. The painting
      is attributed at 1474, and my group portrays 1471. 3 years off I'm
      willing to do, especially because it has the look (to me) of what
      could be under a contemporary henin. But if it's just a precursor to
      the later French hood, maybe Jeanne de Laval was more chic than I
      give her credit for. She's a queen, I'm only a minor gentlewoman.

      Thanks for the links!

      The good news is, the dress that this is going with is done! I'll
      post pics as soon as I get them uploaded (the other computer is on
      the blitz, though).

      Cheers,
      Mathilde
    • mathildegirlgenius
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 6, 2004
        Wonderful! Thank you for the links. That puts more context around it.

        > The hoods seemed to be multi layer versus a multi folded lappet

        Yes, these others definitely look like multi layer. It looks to me
        like she has two folds at the front of her head. I wonder how to get
        that without the aforementioned accordian pleating? I'll have to
        play with it.

        > I have found one example from England (http://www.mbs-
        > brasses.co.uk/pic_lib/Stokesby_Brass.htm ), but women were mostly
        > depicted with a hennin like style ( http://www.mbs-
        > brasses.co.uk/pic_lib/picture_library-jewellery.htm ).

        *sigh* Unfortunatly, we have so LITTLE from England in the 15th
        century. Even the Web Gallery of Art has *nothing* for 1400-1500. If
        anybody has more than these brasses, please let me know!

        > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue
        <cvirtue@t...>
        > wrote:
        > > The wrinkles at the back of the head make me think it's soft,
        not
        > > firm/stiff like a truncated hennin.

        I was wondering, if it's gathered back there? Then if it stops at
        the nape of the neck, or continues down like a 15th c hood?

        And re: the Marie Chantal link:
        I still haven't found the white hood, but I'll keep looking. She
        really does have quite a site. I really enjoy all of her sources -
        there's some artwork I just haven't seen elsewhere! Her theories on
        breast binding are very interesting as well.

        Thanks all!
        Mathilde