Re: Henin

  • uxbridgefox
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 25, 2004
      > Your headdress looks really sturdy. Do you have any problems with
      the top sagging? Can you shape the opening to your head, or is that
      necessary?

      The hat is very sturdy. It can be broken by steping on it I assume,
      but it is not fragile. It has great shape "memory" You can squish
      it and it bounces right back. You can shape the hat by getting the
      reed wet and forming it into the shape you'd like. I left the
      bottom of the hat round. I think this helps it stay on, I have to
      slightly defmorm the bottom of the hat to fit on my head, and it
      tries to return to its original shape, lightly pressing on my head.
      It is not uncomfortable.

      Basket weavers cover your ears, I have no experience weaving baskets
      so I may be doing this all wrong. :)

      This is the nitty-gritty of how I wove the hat.

      The hat was easy to weave, once I got it started, that was a bit
      tough. I wove the hat while the reeds were wet to keep them
      flexible. I made a ring of reed the size opening of the end of the
      hat, I tied with thread the main long bents to this ring to hold
      them in place. This seemed to require 8 arms of an octopus to hold
      all the pieces in place while I tried to wrap thread around the
      reeds. The thread kept getting tangled around everything. And I
      could not find my linen thread so I was using regular polycotton
      thread and it kept breaking. Also you need to have an odd number of
      bents at all times to do the weaving in the round, so you will be in
      the opposite position of going over or under at the begining of each
      round. This means when you add bents you need to add them in
      pairs. After I got all the bents on I stated weaving. Later I
      removed the thread and the ring. I increased the size of the hat by
      pushing back about 1/2 inch of reed per round at the begining, much
      more later on. When the weave was getting loose I added more bents
      two at a time next to eachother, each time I added I added to a
      different side of the hat.

      Good luck.
      Eleanor le Brun