Henin

  • uxbridgefox
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 23, 2004
      Hi,

      I have woven a henin from 11/64 flat basket reed. I posted the
      pictures under a folder called henin in the photo section.

      I am wearing the hat with a seperate loop band rather than
      attatching the loop to the hat. I do not have pictures of me
      wearing the hat yet, I'm re-working my band right now, but I will
      post that when I get it.

      I would appreciate any comments or suggestions that people have. I
      also was talking with some ladies at Pennsic about the wire form
      construction. Anyone know more details about this form of
      construction?

      Thanks,
      Eleanor le Brun
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 23, 2004
        > I would appreciate any comments or suggestions that people have. I
        > also was talking with some ladies at Pennsic about the wire form
        > construction. Anyone know more details about this form of
        > construction?

        I've done wire construction and overall, I think it's less than ideal,
        and less likely to be historical than some more resilient structure.

        How does the reed one feel? Any particular insights you can share with us?

        --
        Cynthia Virtue and/or
        Cynthia du Pré Argent

        The one time in my life I visit Loch Ness and I miss getting to see a
        virgin sacrifice by a few days. That's just my luck. -- Alex Boese on
        the plan by the British White Witches to sacrifice a female virgin and
        some veggies to bring Nessie up from the depths of Loch Ness in Sept '04
      • uxbridgefox
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 23, 2004
          > How does the reed one feel? Any particular insights you can share
          with us?

          I think that it is really light. The hat is 22 inches long and only
          weighs 8 ounces. I have not done the wire method to tell if this is
          light or heavy. It feels lighter than the plastic canvas ones I
          have done. It wears really well and I don't notice it being there on
          my head.

          The first one I wove from the head opening to the point. It was
          very hard to control the cone shape and it turned out rather smurf
          hat shaped. The one I showed the picts of was woven from the point
          to the head and it was very easy to control the shape, I just added
          bents when the weave started to feel too loose as it got larger. It
          was a bit hard to control how long the hat was to get the right
          sized opening.

          All in all it was very easy to weave, once I got it started. I
          think the next time I do it I'll weave from the middle to each end.
          To see how that goes. Another change I would make is cutting the
          long bents that go the length of the hat I would cut at least 6
          inches longer than the desired length of the hat. I only cut it 2
          inches longer and I wanted to make the hat just a few rounds longer
          to get a little bit bigger around my head, but I ran out of room.

          I bought the reed at countryseat.com The smallest size flat reed
          they had was 11/64 and only about 4$ for a 1/2 pound coil, and I can
          weave two hats from one of 1/2 pound coil. So fairly cheep to do.

          Try it! It was fun!

          Eleanor le Brun
        • Kristen Dahle
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 24, 2004
            Thanks for sharing your information and pictures! I've always wondered how difficult it would be to make headdress structures by weaving reeds. I've cut already-woven hats apart but never done the weaving myself.

            Your headdress looks really sturdy. Do you have any problems with the top sagging? Can you shape the opening to your head, or is that necessary?

            I'd love to see a picture of you in it.

            Pax,
            Elisa

          • uxbridgefox
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 25, 2004
              > Your headdress looks really sturdy. Do you have any problems with
              the top sagging? Can you shape the opening to your head, or is that
              necessary?

              The hat is very sturdy. It can be broken by steping on it I assume,
              but it is not fragile. It has great shape "memory" You can squish
              it and it bounces right back. You can shape the hat by getting the
              reed wet and forming it into the shape you'd like. I left the
              bottom of the hat round. I think this helps it stay on, I have to
              slightly defmorm the bottom of the hat to fit on my head, and it
              tries to return to its original shape, lightly pressing on my head.
              It is not uncomfortable.

              Basket weavers cover your ears, I have no experience weaving baskets
              so I may be doing this all wrong. :)

              This is the nitty-gritty of how I wove the hat.

              The hat was easy to weave, once I got it started, that was a bit
              tough. I wove the hat while the reeds were wet to keep them
              flexible. I made a ring of reed the size opening of the end of the
              hat, I tied with thread the main long bents to this ring to hold
              them in place. This seemed to require 8 arms of an octopus to hold
              all the pieces in place while I tried to wrap thread around the
              reeds. The thread kept getting tangled around everything. And I
              could not find my linen thread so I was using regular polycotton
              thread and it kept breaking. Also you need to have an odd number of
              bents at all times to do the weaving in the round, so you will be in
              the opposite position of going over or under at the begining of each
              round. This means when you add bents you need to add them in
              pairs. After I got all the bents on I stated weaving. Later I
              removed the thread and the ring. I increased the size of the hat by
              pushing back about 1/2 inch of reed per round at the begining, much
              more later on. When the weave was getting loose I added more bents
              two at a time next to eachother, each time I added I added to a
              different side of the hat.

              Good luck.
              Eleanor le Brun