mongol hat

  • adriana
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 13, 2004
      Hello, Everyone!

      First of all, I would like to thank you for the information and
      pictures I have found on this site! I was showing some friends this
      site and a couple of the guys have fallen in love with the one
      called Mongol Hat1.

      My question - are all the sides the same length and the front just
      pulled up?

      Thanks,
      Adriana
    • Dame Rachel (Thaya Shaeffer)
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 14, 2004
        Which site are you referring to? Can someone direct me to the slides being referenced?

        adriana <imadriana@...> wrote:
        Hello, Everyone!

        First of all, I would like to thank you for the information and
        pictures I have found on this site! I was showing some friends this
        site and a couple of the guys have fallen in love with the one
        called Mongol Hat1.

        My question - are all the sides the same length and the front just
        pulled up?

        Thanks,
        Adriana

        Community email addresses:
        Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
        Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

        Shortcut URL to this page:
        http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
        �There have always been tyrants, and for a time
        they prosper. But they always loose in the end, always.�
        - M Gandhi
        = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
        SCA: Dame Rachel Ravenlock, OP
        Legal: Mrs. Thaya G. Shaeffer
        Kingdom of Artemisia, Barony of Arn Hold
        (208) 322-3444 before 9:00pm MST please!

      • caitrionadragon
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 14, 2004
          Hi Adriana,

          I'm not sure if you are looking at my Mongol hat or not. I have
          3 pics in Caitriona's Collection but none under #1. Just from my
          version though, I made the front segment of the hat with a semi-
          circle edge and after attaching the lamb's wool lining, turned it
          back and tacked it down. This was an experiment for a friend who has
          a Mongol persona and needed a hat. It turned out pretty well for my
          first trial with this type of hat. He's quite happy with it and says
          he's never been warmer in January.

          Caitriona Campbell

          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "adriana" <imadriana@m...>
          wrote:
          > Hello, Everyone!
          >
          > First of all, I would like to thank you for the information and
          > pictures I have found on this site! I was showing some friends this
          > site and a couple of the guys have fallen in love with the one
          > called Mongol Hat1.
          >
          > My question - are all the sides the same length and the front just
          > pulled up?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Adriana
        • adriana
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 22, 2004
            Dear Catriona,

            Yes, I do believe the hat in question is one you made. Several of my
            husband's squires are completely enamored of it!!! Personally, I
            think they will look like Paddington Bear, but if it makes them feel
            studly......well. Do you have any further advice? Want some used,
            but still servicable squires?

            Adriana
          • Caitriona Campbell
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 26, 2004
              --- adriana <imadriana@...> wrote:
              Several of my
              > husband's squires are completely enamored of it!!!

              It's fairly simple when you think about it like it's a
              beanie. You know the kind with 4 triangular shaped
              pieces? I just started with some scrap material and
              experimented til I got the basic shape right with a
              bit more pointed top than an actual beanie. Once I
              had the top half sized, I "belled" out the bottom to
              give it the fullness needed to create the drape for
              the bottom half. If you think of the Liberty Bell
              shape, that's pretty much how this hat is made. I
              found that if you don't flare out the sides and back,
              it won't sit properly on the head. It's truly an odd
              creation since theres nothing to compare it to in
              modern wear. I made the outer part about 3 inches too
              big since my lining was very thick. The front is
              rounded to a half circle and folded back and tacked
              down onece you have the lining in. Much experimenting
              was done to arrive at the basic 4 pieces before I
              ever cut the outer covering. It can be lined with
              faux fur if you like but it really does make a warm
              and period looking hat with lambskin. I picked up a
              grey dyed pelt at an event (Gulf Wars, I think) for
              about $8 last spring.

              > Want some used,
              > but still servicable squires?

              Um, that could prove quite interesting but having
              raised my 2 sons already and being divorced, I'm
              pretty sure I'd best pass on the offer.

              Caitriona

              =====
              Caitriona, Karen, DragonLady