Re: [SCA-Milliners] Re: Hairstyles

  • Zohra Rawling
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 1, 2004
      On Jul 1, 2004, at 12:43 AM, unclrashid wrote:

      > Easy for you to say, you didn't have to clean the $%^&* iron!!!
      >
      > (just kidding, I have never melted the wig hair, but I have melted
      > chiffon, and don't forget "cracking" the china silk by ironing too
      > hot over a crease)

      LOL

      I have melted velvet before, what a sad sight that was!

      *g*

      Ys
    • Hillery Brewer
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 1, 2004
        While long hair was most desired, many couldn't maintain it. So many of the styles (fake braids, cauls, etc) are designed to mimic long hair. So it may be that the headcoverings fit over less hair better because they were designed for the hair-deprived.

        On the other hand, I have found that the longer my hair gets, the better my hats stay on. So I really don't understand this thread. As long as you take the time to braid your hair up right it will anchor your hat on through anything. I have a 2 foot butterfly hennin that stays on with nothing but a good fit and my hair in a front bunn. The same works with English and French hoods.

        If you have trouble holding slippery hair in place, try Italian hair taping. you can use clear or hair colored ribbon if it would clash with your persona. Taped hair will NOT move.

        Hillery

        Hilery Brewer

      • Wisby
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 1, 2004
          You are indeed fortunate, and I am glad for you, but on some folks ( namely me ) hair at any length is unruly, fussy, aggravating, and a general nightmare.
          I dont have "normal" hair and I know it, but I also know I am not unusual in having a lot of stress at the mirror.

          ( heavy snipping )
          Hillery Brewer <hbrewer@...> wrote:
          As long as you take the time to braid your hair up right it will anchor your hat on through anything. Hillery

          Hilery Brewer

          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 1, 2004
            And I forgot to sign...

            AEsa

          • Zohra Rawling
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 1, 2004
              On Jul 1, 2004, at 10:19 PM, Wisby wrote:

              > You are indeed fortunate, and I am glad for you, but on some folks (
              > namely me ) hair at any length is unruly, fussy, aggravating, and a
              > general nightmare.
              > I dont have "normal" hair and I know it, but I also know I am not
              > unusual in having a lot of stress at the mirror.

              I do not have "normal" hair either. but I have found that if I do braid
              it tightly, often while wet that it will not only keeps the shape, it
              is also a very good anchor for veils.

              I kill bobby pins for the most part.
              However Danabren has found a type of very large bobby pins at K-mart
              that are wonderful.
              They are shaped a bit differently than regular large bobby pins.

              Ysabella

              Women and Cats do what they do; there is nothing a man can do about it.
              -Heinlein
            • Rebecca Perry
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 1, 2004
                Speaking only for myself, it's the "...braid your hair up right..." part
                that I have trouble with. I'm simply not sure how to go about that. If you
                have suggestions or instructions, I for one would be most grateful.

                Savina

                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 1, 2004
                  I'd also appreciate any hints or suggestions for braiding your hair
                  "right". I'd also welcome any tips on dealing with the weight from wearing
                  a lot of hair up for a long period of time. (Short of cutting off some of
                  it, which I'm serious considering any ways. ;)

                  Elspeth

                  On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Rebecca Perry wrote:

                  > Speaking only for myself, it's the "...braid your hair up right..." part
                  > that I have trouble with. I'm simply not sure how to go about that. If you
                  > have suggestions or instructions, I for one would be most grateful.
                  >
                  > Savina

                  ~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~
                  Carol E. Newby Elspeth the Semstress of Dunkeld, OP
                  ladybug@... http://www.neei.com/~ladybug

                  "Act well your part, there all honor lies."
                  ~ William Shakespeare
                • danabren@verizon.net
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 2, 2004
                    > I'd also appreciate any hints or suggestions for braiding your hair
                    > "right". I'd also welcome any tips on dealing with the weight from wearing
                    > a lot of hair up for a long period of time. (Short of cutting off some of
                    > it, which I'm serious considering any ways. ;)
                    >
                    > Elspeth

                    "Right" depends entirely upon what period and country you are wearing. If you're doing Norman, then "right" are braids, or woven plaits. If 12th, then putting your hair in a low bun at the nape of your neck with a hairnet and a combination of veil, chinstrap (barbette), and/or stiffened headband or cap (fillet) is "right" (either a ponytail or a braid coiled into the bun). Sideless surcoats it's cauls and templars, where your hair is tightly braided from the temple into coils or loops to fit into the headdresses (or nicely hidden in it's lack by the existence of the headdresses themselves). Cotehardies were recently covered by our own girl genius Lady Mathilde :) For heart-shaped hennin you can have a single braid down your back or hair coils like horns (yay hairspray!), butterfly and steeple hennin call for buns to hold them in place, and french hoods most likely use a style similar in shape to hair taping (tight slender braids wrapped and fastened securely around the head as an anchor, or a ledge of braids sat far back on the skull as a "seat")

                    I am, of course, generalizing, and skipping quite a few styles centuries and countries. But there is no "right" for the middle ages. There is "right" for country, year, silohuette. Man do I sound like Yoda :)

                    What styles do you normally find yourself in? It will be easier to answer your question that way.

                    Danabren

                    ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                    Ceteri populi obtingimus
                  • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 2, 2004

                      > I do not have "normal" hair either. but I have found that if I do braid
                      > it tightly, often while wet that it will not only keeps the shape, it
                      > is also a very good anchor for veils.
                      >
                      > I kill bobby pins for the most part.
                      > However Danabren has found a type of very large bobby pins at K-mart
                      > that are wonderful.
                      > They are shaped a bit differently than regular large bobby pins.
                      >
                      > Ysabella

                      What's the brand name? Do they stay in well? Cause my hair laughs at
                      anything I put in it--ponytail bands, bobby pins, whatever--it just slides
                      right out!

                      I just accidentally typed booby pin instead of bobby pin...ouch....

                      Laurensa
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 2, 2004
                        > What's the brand name? Do they stay in well? Cause my hair laughs at
                        > anything I put in it--ponytail bands, bobby pins, whatever--it just slides
                        > right out!

                        A friend had double-helix hairpins, metal. But I've never seen them for
                        sale nor does she remember the name.

                        --
                        Cynthia Virtue and/or
                        Cynthia du Pré Argent

                        Do it,
                        Deligate it,
                        or
                        Drop it. -- vew
                      • danabren@verizon.net
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 2, 2004
                          > What's the brand name? Do they stay in well? Cause my hair laughs at
                          > anything I put in it--ponytail bands, bobby pins, whatever--it just slides
                          > right out!
                          >
                          > I just accidentally typed booby pin instead of bobby pin...ouch....
                          >
                          > Laurensa

                          I THINK that they're Scuncii (?) brand, got 'em at KMart. They look like bobby pins that have been bent around a dowel and have some strong angles in them. Available in black and brown. They're amazing, and Ys has stolen quite a few over the past 2 years.

                          And we all know where YOUR mind is, Laurensa....

                          Danabren

                          ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                          Ceteri populi obtingimus
                        • Maura Folsom
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 2, 2004
                            much discussion of the (lack of) merits of commercial hairpins snipped.
                            Me? I break plastic hair devices of all stripes. I gave up on plastic
                            chignon pins and hairsticks eons ago. The regular u-shaped wire
                            hairpins that you can find, even 'heavy' ones, don't last long in my
                            hair, because they are made of cheaper metal than they used to be
                            (though I've occasionally found packs of older-style HEAVY wire pins
                            here in Texas, land of old women with BIG hair), eventually bending
                            out to 90 degree angles in my heavy hair. Clip barrettes just pop off
                            in pieces, as do spring barrettes.

                            Anyway. Enough with the complaining ;)

                            My favorite hairpins are a set made by a wireworker freind some 10 (It
                            can't be 10, can it? Oh, god, yes, it can...) years ago. They are
                            about the size of the weak wimpy plastic chignon pins, and a similar
                            knobbly shape. They are made of 16 gauge (I think...) brass rod, and
                            have slightly sharper curves and less rounded head-loops. They were
                            work-hardened by being hammered flat (but not thin, just slightly
                            flattened), which rendered them stiff but still flexible, and geve a
                            very slight curve. The ends are filed to gentle rounded points and
                            polished smooth so as not to catch hair.

                            There were 8 or so to start, and I've got about 3 of the original set
                            still. None ever broke, or fell out of my hair. The missing ones got
                            lost when they fell behind furniture or out of a basket at events. I
                            eventually made some replacements, including a few longer ones, but
                            they have mostly gone the way of the originals. Time to make more.

                            If you know a wireworker or jeweler or armorer who is willing, you
                            could easily have a set of uber-hairpins that can survive your hair too.

                            Marg.
                          • Zohra Rawling
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 2, 2004
                              On Jul 2, 2004, at 7:44 AM, danabren@... wrote:

                              > Available in black and brown. They're amazing, and Ys has stolen
                              > quite a few over the past 2 years.

                              and you can't have them back!

                              *hordes*

                              It takes only three of those types to hold up a braided bun, instead of
                              a zillion of the others that always pop out mangled.
                              my hair is very thick and coarse, but you wouldn't know it by looking
                              at it.

                              Ys

                              "Logic is not the strong point of critics"
                            • Cindy Myers
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 2, 2004
                                Hi all!

                                I'm imagining a Milliner's meet-n-greet where we all sit around with
                                combs and pins and "do" each other's hair. :) I sure could stand to
                                have some help! (And lots of mirrors, yeah...)

                                The Italian hair taping idea sounded like a great way to incorporate
                                fake hair. It's the first time I can visualize how to attach the fake
                                hair to the real hair, and make it look "seamless". Of course...
                                someone else would have to do it for me! (And... wouldn't it look all
                                wrong with my 14th c. English stuff?)

                                Along with sitting around and doing each other's hair, I'd love a
                                chance to play with all these different head covering ideas with
                                someone who knows how to wear it properly! (And honest opinions so we
                                can avoid the unflattering styles...)

                                Maybe we need a Mad-Hatter's Tea Party, or something. :)

                                --Emmelyne --> short on sleep lately.
                              • Dame Rachel (Thaya Shaeffer)
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 2, 2004
                                  As to fasteners: There is a new type of hair band out which look like transparent plastic bands. You can find them in most supermarket hair fasten sections. Look closely. They are white-ish clear in color. They hold much better then any coated bands and they do not tend to pull your hair out.

                                  As to head pain: I have found that pulling all my hair to forcefully straight back is what causes my head to hurt. Try parting your hair down the center and making two braids on the sides, then twine them around your head making a sort of hair coronet. Or do a French braid, that being to start at the forehead and braid an upper section, then as you do each set of cross overs, you pick up a portion of hair from further along the head, adding them into each of your three sections making one section temporarily fatter then the other two, cross over, then pick up a little more in another section, slowly work your way down the to the back and end of your hair. Finish by continuing down to the end of your length and then forming your bun. By doing the French braid thing, the pull is distributed more equally over the head and will help with less fatigue. Also, try changing your braid about half way through the day. Go from the French braid to the two side braids and vice versa.
                                  That way you ease up on having the pull to your scalp all in one direction all day.

                                  Shalom,

                                  Dame Rachel

                                  = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
                                  �There have always been tyrants, and for a time
                                  they prosper. But they always loose in the end, always.�
                                  - M Gandhi
                                  = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
                                  SCA: Dame Rachel Ravenlock, OP
                                  Legal: Mrs. Thaya G. Shaeffer
                                  Kingdom of Artemisia, Barony of Arn Hold
                                  (208) 322-3444 before 9:00pm MST please!

                                • brattboy.rm
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 2, 2004
                                    --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Maura Folsom" <jauncourt@v...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > much discussion of the (lack of) merits of commercial hairpins snipped.
                                    > Me? I break plastic hair devices of all stripes. I gave up on plastic
                                    > chignon pins and hairsticks eons ago. The regular u-shaped wire
                                    > hairpins that you can find, even 'heavy' ones, don't last long in my
                                    > hair, because they are made of cheaper metal than they used to be
                                    > (though I've occasionally found packs of older-style HEAVY wire pins
                                    > here in Texas, land of old women with BIG hair), eventually bending
                                    > out to 90 degree angles in my heavy hair. Clip barrettes just pop off
                                    > in pieces, as do spring barrettes.
                                    >
                                    > Anyway. Enough with the complaining ;)
                                    >
                                    > My favorite hairpins are a set made by a wireworker freind some 10 (It
                                    > can't be 10, can it? Oh, god, yes, it can...) years ago. They are
                                    > about the size of the weak wimpy plastic chignon pins, and a similar
                                    > knobbly shape. They are made of 16 gauge (I think...) brass rod, and
                                    > have slightly sharper curves and less rounded head-loops. They were
                                    > work-hardened by being hammered flat (but not thin, just slightly
                                    > flattened), which rendered them stiff but still flexible, and geve a
                                    > very slight curve. The ends are filed to gentle rounded points and
                                    > polished smooth so as not to catch hair.
                                    >
                                    > There were 8 or so to start, and I've got about 3 of the original set
                                    > still. None ever broke, or fell out of my hair. The missing ones got
                                    > lost when they fell behind furniture or out of a basket at events. I
                                    > eventually made some replacements, including a few longer ones, but
                                    > they have mostly gone the way of the originals. Time to make more.
                                    >
                                    > If you know a wireworker or jeweler or armorer who is willing, you
                                    > could easily have a set of uber-hairpins that can survive your hair too.
                                    >
                                    > Marg.

                                    What would you recommend for someone with the opposite problem? I've
                                    tried the hair pins that one can purchase at SCA/Ren events and they
                                    just fall out due to my hair being so fine and not course enough to
                                    keep them in.

                                    Ashe'el
                                  • Carol E. Newby
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 2, 2004
                                      > A friend had double-helix hairpins, metal. But I've never seen them for
                                      > sale nor does she remember the name.

                                      I have a heavy-duty pair of corkscrew hairpins that I think are similar to
                                      what you're describing. I bought mine years ago at a drug or grocery store
                                      but I don't remember the brand. They were sold in pairs and even at it's
                                      heaviest one pair is enough to hold a bun where I place it on my head.
                                      (I'm another one with problems with buns and ponytails slipping down the
                                      back of my head. ;) The wire is much heavier than standard hairpins and
                                      you twist or 'screw' the hairpin into your hair and reverse the twist to
                                      take them out. If I ever see them for sale again, I'll definately buy a
                                      few more pairs.

                                      Elspeth

                                      ~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~
                                      Carol E. Newby Elspeth the Semstress of Dunkeld, OP
                                      ladybug@... http://www.neei.com/~ladybug

                                      "Act well your part, there all honor lies."
                                      ~ William Shakespeare
                                    • Jean Hortman
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 2, 2004
                                        Could you possibly post some pictures? They sound wonderful!

                                        Wyndylyn

                                      • Jean Hortman
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jul 2, 2004
                                          Thank you! These are easy and I have all the tools. A little time, a little
                                          stock, a little jig and I can make a bunch. This is wonderful. Thank you
                                          for your quick reply as well.

                                          Wyndylyn

                                          (snip)
                                          > My favorite hairpins are a set made by a wireworker freind some 10 (It
                                          > can't be 10, can it? Oh, god, yes, it can...) years ago. They are
                                          > about the size of the weak wimpy plastic chignon pins, and a similar
                                          > knobbly shape. They are made of 16 gauge (I think...) brass rod, and
                                          > have slightly sharper curves and less rounded head-loops. They were
                                          > work-hardened by being hammered flat (but not thin, just slightly
                                          > flattened), which rendered them stiff but still flexible, and geve a
                                          > very slight curve. The ends are filed to gentle rounded points and
                                          > polished smooth so as not to catch hair.
                                          (snip