Re: Shoulder length hair with a Coronet

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2004
      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Dame Rachel \(Thaya
      Shaeffer\)" <damethaya@y...> wrote:

      > Greetings List,
      >
      > I ask for you comments and possible solutions to the following:
      >
      > My husband and I have been granted the honor and
      privilege to serve as the next Baroness of our local Barony.
      (Investiture to be held this September 4th).

      SNIP

      > Yet I want to do this right. Proper head covering, or at least a
      fair attempt at such, has always been important to me. With
      shoulder length hair, I usually wear a linen snood (which hides my
      shorter hair nicely) and top it off with a flat cap or standing brim
      cap, or a straw wide brimmed hat for outdoors to block the sun; to
      complete my Elizabethan garb ensemble.

      Congrats!

      I do understand you concern. Wanting to balance authenticity with
      SCA convention. From what I have seen, many people just wear the
      darn coronets, whether they are correct for their period or not.
      There are many SCA convetnions that people treat this way. I always
      respect someone who tries to insert a little authenticity into mix
      while they are at it! It also does seem to be a bit of a trend
      nowadays to try and have "persona-appropriate" coronets, though that
      can be expensive.

      I have not researched this area, but I can tell you what I have seen
      other people do... doesn't prove it's correct, but does tell you
      what others have gotten away with.

      I have seen plenty of Elizabethan ladies wearing coronets over
      crochet or net snoods, and a few who do it over coifs. Both look
      fine, in my opinion, though some styles of coronet (the heavy clunky
      ones)don't seem to blend in as well with the look.

      Another option is to get or make one of those derby-type (or
      sometimes top-hat type)Elizabethan hats that were worn somewhat
      rakishly by stylish ladies and wear that over the coif (sequined, of
      course) with the coronet as sort of a hat-band. Would be dependent
      on the coronet fitting the hat and being of an appropriate style.
      You could also do the same look by making a hat and tricking it out
      with a hatband of gold lace and 6 pearls.

      (actually, I can really see this top-hat look being quite spiffy,
      and it works for a man also, which would be a really co-ordidnated
      look done in complementary styles)

      Rashid
    • Rebecca Perry
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
        There is a lady in my area who sometimes wears her coronet with a velvet
        snood - it's *lovely*

        Savina
        > I ask for you comments and possible solutions to the following:
        >
        > My husband and I have been granted the honor and
        privilege to serve as the next Baroness of our local Barony.
        (Investiture to be held this September 4th).

        SNIP

        *snip*

        I have seen plenty of Elizabethan ladies wearing coronets over
        crochet or net snoods, and a few who do it over coifs.

        *snip*
        Rashid

        ---