Question from Clueless

  • baconsbaby
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22 9:34 PM
      Greetings!

      I am the Chatelaine for Silver Desert. A newcomer, that has just
      become a new member (yeah!), came to my house with a picture of the
      dress, and hat, she hopes to make for 12th Night. The gown is no
      problem, but I'm hopeless with hats. I have placed the picture in my
      Photo Album "Aeschine", in the hopes that someone may know the answer
      to her question. Specifically, a loop seems to rest on her forehead,
      she believes it to be metal, my husband suggests it is ribbon, I
      remain clueless.

      Should anyone know what this loop is for, and what it might be made
      of, I'd be most grateful for the info.

      In service,
      Aeschine Colquhoun
      Message 2 of 3 , May 23 2:48 AM
        baconsbaby wrote:

        > Greetings!
        >
        > I am the Chatelaine for Silver Desert. A newcomer, that has just
        > become a new member (yeah!), came to my house with a picture of the
        > dress, and hat, she hopes to make for 12th Night. The gown is no
        > problem, but I'm hopeless with hats. I have placed the picture in my
        > Photo Album "Aeschine", in the hopes that someone may know the answer
        > to her question. Specifically, a loop seems to rest on her forehead,
        > she believes it to be metal, my husband suggests it is ribbon, I
        > remain clueless.

        Aha!

        This is one of the images from the Roses tapestries at the Cluny, and I
        believe, taken from my own webpages
        <http://www.virtue.to/articles/hat_theories.html> based on the cropping,
        which is fine, but it's important to see the whole thing when possible.
        The hat is often called a butterfly hennin; these are usually based on
        a truncated cone shape, with wires supporting the veils. What the loop
        is about, is a great debate.

        Consensus so far is that it is not directly functional, although past
        costume historians belived that it served as some sort of a
        counterweight. Those of us who have tried this style know that it would
        have to be several pounds to counterweight the veiling, if it provided
        the main counterweight.

        Many SCA costumers have given this style a try. I have some webpages
        and I'm sure others will recommend their favorites.

        http://www.virtue.to/articles/butterfly.html -- about butterfly hats in
        general

        http://www.virtue.to/articles/headband.html -- about that black loop

        A side note: when you work on the dress, be sure that it is very long.
        The ones in the tapestry are easily a foot longer than the floor. Your
        new person may not be able to deal with one that long, but make it as
        long as she can manage, or else it will look odd.

        --
        Cynthia Virtue and/or
        Cynthia du Pré Argent

        People born left-handed, or who choose to become left-handed, should not
        be allowed to vote, enter into contracts, marry, or run businesses. The
        world is made for right-handed people (85-90% of the world is
        right-handed) and should remain that way.
      • baconsbaby
        Message 3 of 3 , May 23 10:06 AM
          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@t...>
          wrote:
          > Aha!

          Thank you m'lady, great rejoicing has commenced.

          In service
          Aeschine Colquhoun
          Silver Desert Chatelaine