Re: Hats across the Known World

  • caitlin_oduibhir
    Message 1 of 26 , May 14, 2004
      Well.. hat, singular, at the moment. I had posted links and whatnot
      for my hat on this message on this list:
      Message 1910 of 1941
      Date: Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:14 pm
      Subject: Just for the sake of sharing

      The rest of what I have made are.. you guessed it, veils. But they
      are late period Italian, which makes them even less exicting to look
      at, unless one figures in that nebulous veil they are purported to
      wear (which I am looking into seriously, I am backtracking source art
      that I have contacted the Kostumbibliotek in Berlin to look up the
      engraving in question *in the original print of the book* for me).
      Everything else I have made that is stuck to my head are Martedi
      Grasso Carnevale Masks in leather, and most recently, in papier
      mache. Oh, and those freaky horn hairdos popular in Italy at the
      time. I have hair taped before as well using artificial hair added
      in. I really must make a proper "hair ring" to lighten the load, it
      gave me a monsterous headache. I really should hold still long enough
      for a camera to catch me sometime.

      When I get around to making the Shinrone Gown, I'll make up
      my "cheesehead" hat to go with it. I wouldn't be surprised if someone
      gives me yet another pet name somewhere along the lines of "Fram" *L*

      Caitlin

      > Are there pictures of your hats? Are they posted to
      > this group? I would love to see them.
    • Renee Robinson
      Message 2 of 26 , May 14, 2004
        Thank you so much for explaining this in a way I can
        finally follow!!! I'm very challenged at following
        written directions. I need pictures and diagrams, and
        sometimes a person demonstrating.

        I did find a turban style in a pattern meant for
        African-American women, but it requires a lot of
        fabric and had a small piece of elastic. It gives the
        right look, but it's obviously not the period way.

        How wide should the fabric be, and how do you usually
        finish it?

        Renee

        Message 3 of 26 , May 14, 2004
          The fabric is packed for the turban, Ill be happy to send a report!

          Hopefully,

          AEsa

          Message 4 of 26 , May 14, 2004
            > How wide should the fabric be, and how do you usually
            > finish it?
            >
            > Renee

            It's usually a finished oval veil, the hems turned under twice as small as they can be.

            Width, it should be as wide as around your head plus about another 6-8" for overlap, and long enough to be twisted up yet wrap around your head (how's that for virtual information!)

            Danabren

            ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
            Numquam gerras itero - itaque audi diligenter.
            Message 5 of 26 , May 14, 2004
              The 1400s head wrap that I got from Historic Enterprises is 4-6 feet
              long and about 10" wide, made of large weave linen. (Well, fairly
              standard for a teatowel, coarser than average muslin.) I tried making
              duplicates in muslin, and they didn't have enough body to stand out from
              my head (bulk it out a bit) nor enough friction to stay on well.

              There's also a basic kerchief wrap; take a large square, fold
              diagonally, tie on like a kerchief, tuck the free point of the fabric
              under the knot at the top of your neck (making a bag for any long hair
              thereby), and twist the two knot ends and tie them above your forehead.
              Tuck the final tiny tie ends down.

              The look is much like Danabren's description, but it's all symmetrical
              pulling forces, so I find it easier to put on.

              Any of these should be white or off-white, although there is some very
              scant documentation for very early red veils.

              --
              Cynthia Virtue and/or
              Cynthia du Pré Argent

              Losing weight is like chipping away at boulder with a toothpick.
            • Renee Robinson
              Message 6 of 26 , May 14, 2004
                LOL. Reminds me of what my high school teacher used
                to tell us when we asked how long an essay should be:

                "Like a lady's skirt-- long enough to cover the
                subject, but short enough to be interesting."

                Not sure how that kind of statement would fly in
                today's schools, but it certainly made the point. :)

                --- danabren@... wrote:
                > Width, it should be as wide as around your head plus
                > about another 6-8" for overlap, and long enough to
                > be twisted up yet wrap around your head (how's that
                > for virtual information!)
                >
                > Danabren
                >
                > ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                > ^v^
                > Numquam gerras itero - itaque audi diligenter.

                http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
              • Rebecca Perry
                Message 7 of 26 , May 14, 2004
                  I like the kerchief wrap too - I often use it as a base to contain my hair
                  and cover the front of it, then add a wimple and veil. Sometimes I just wear
                  the kerchief itself. I find it very comfortable and stable.

                  Savina
[...]

                  Community email addresses:
                  Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
                  Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

                  Shortcut URL to this page:
                  http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

                  ---

                • Roana FitsStephen
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 14, 2004
                    My turban veil is 5.5-6' long and about 24" wide. I
                    like to do a rolled hem on them. I have one that is
                    made of cheap Wal-mart white cotton and second that is
                    made of white light weight cotton. I have some
                    handkerchief linen waiting to be cut out and made into
                    a chemise and veil butyou know that what if I make a
                    mistake syndrome.

                    I like the turban because it's not in my eyes, and it
                    doesn't feel like I have "something" on my head. Only
                    one drawback. My neck gets sunburn. On the plus side
                    my straw hat can be stacked on top.

                    Roana

                    http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
                  • Wisby
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 16, 2004
                      This past weekend we went to Spring Southern War Camp/A+S championships.

                      Not only was everyone an absolute dear, but I did the kerchief thing. I must say... i was fine!
                      It kept the hair and sweat under control, and didnt drive me nutty. Kind of like mundane a do-rag for under a safety helmet.

                      Next try will be the turban, I got to watch some in action and now "get it" as to how they work.

                      Thanks so much for the encouragement, you all have been so helpful!

                      Another Hatted Person,
                      AEsa

                      Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@...> wrote:
[...]

                      Cynthia du Pr� Argent

                      Message 10 of 26 , May 16, 2004
                        > This past weekend we went to Spring Southern War Camp/A+S championships.
                        > Another Hatted Person,
                        > AEsa

                        You were there? Sorry I missed you...

                        Danabren

                        ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                        Numquam gerras itero - itaque audi diligenter.
                      • Zohra Rawling
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 16, 2004
                          On Sunday, May 16, 2004, at 21:50 US/Eastern, <danabren@...>
                          wrote:

                          >> This past weekend we went to Spring Southern War Camp/A+S
                          >> championships.
                          >> Another Hatted Person,
                          >> AEsa
                          >
                          > You were there? Sorry I missed you...
                          >
                          > Danabren

                          I wish we had known!

                          That would of been nice to have met you!

                          Although Brenna was crazy judging woman yesterday.
                          I was only mildly crazy judging woman.

                          ^_^

                          ysabella
                        • J. May
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 16, 2004
                            This past weekend I tried a new way to hold a veil on that was fantastic!

                            I made two small braids on the top of my head. Using strong stick pins, I
                            pinned through the veil and the braids. I had an embroidered 45" wide veil
                            hanging to my butt with no discomfort. It was amazing. If you have really
                            slippery hair, just slather on the hair goo of your choosing and braid it
                            before it dries.

                            Samia

                            Message 13 of 26 , May 16, 2004
                              Y'all didnt miss me =p

                              I displayed the chain collar, I was next to Kayleigh =)

                              Resident *hatted* whiner,

                              AEsa

                              Message 14 of 26 , May 17, 2004
                                > Y'all didnt miss me =p
                                >
                                > I displayed the chain collar, I was next to Kayleigh =)
                                >
                                > Resident *hatted* whiner,
                                >
                                > AEsa

                                Hey - I judged your chainmail! But I didn't get to *meet* you....

                                Message 15 of 26 , May 17, 2004
                                  On Sunday, May 16, 2004, at 22:36 US/Eastern, Wisby wrote:

                                  > Y'all didnt miss me =p
                                  >
                                  > I displayed the chain collar, I was next to Kayleigh =)
                                  >
                                  > Resident *hatted* whiner,
                                  >
                                  > AEsa

                                  oh neat!

                                  That was lovely.