Re: [SCA-Milliners] Just for the sake of sharing

  • Cindy Myers
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2004
      > Figured I might show off my fun little creation. I tried (my degree
      > of success will largely depend on your opinion) DeHeere's Irish
      > townswoman painting
      > http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish/femmefille.gif.

      Caitlin, you look fabulous!

      Thanks for posting the links showing your dress and hat (especially the
      art that inspired you). I must have spent an hour or more going
      through the whole site. It looks like everyone had really neat entries
      - Golden Seamstress is such a cool competition idea.

      Okay, so what's the "cheesehead" hat?

      --Emmelyne
    • caitlin_oduibhir
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2004
        > Caitlin, you look fabulous!

        *grin* thanks!

        It looks like everyone had really neat entries
        > - Golden Seamstress is such a cool competition idea.

        It was a great event. One that I'd do again. It's not an original one
        from Ealdormere; I believe the organizers of the event competed in
        the Middle originally, which is where they got the idea from. I
        understand that another kingdom will be hosting a similar event
        sometime in the future. Not sure which one though.

        > Okay, so what's the "cheesehead" hat?

        *LOL* That's what the travellers through Ireland tended to refer to
        it as - the women piled so much linen on their heads it looked like a
        round of cheese stuck on their heads. De Heere painted one:
        http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish/deheere.GIF
        I've seen a couple others in woodcuts and whatnot, but ultimately,
        they are pretty close in overall appearance.

        Caitlin
      • Ciorstan
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2004
          caitlin_oduibhir wrote:

          >>Okay, so what's the "cheesehead" hat?
          >

          > *LOL* That's what the travellers through Ireland tended to refer to
          > it as - the women piled so much linen on their heads it looked like a
          > round of cheese stuck on their heads. De Heere painted one:
          > http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish/deheere.GIF
          > I've seen a couple others in woodcuts and whatnot, but ultimately,
          > they are pretty close in overall appearance.

          I've also seen a variant referred to as the "Fram air filter" hat....

          ciorstan
        • danabren@verizon.net
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2004
            > It was a great event. One that I'd do again. It's not an original one
            > from Ealdormere; I believe the organizers of the event competed in
            > the Middle originally, which is where they got the idea from. I
            > understand that another kingdom will be hosting a similar event
            > sometime in the future. Not sure which one though.

            That would be the East :) *Crossing fingers, as the bid will be submitted this week to the shire*

            > Caitlin

            And yes, you looked fabu!
            Danabren

            ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
            Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis
          • caitlin_oduibhir
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2004
              Aha! That would be you then that Mavie was speaking about. ;-)
              Apparently our event with such success that she's been contacted by
              several groups wanting to host one of their own. My local canton
              wants to bid on it for next year, although I don't think we're ready
              for something like that quite yet. Everyone in the canton though
              wants to participate again - the majority of us were involved in some
              way or competing.

              > That would be the East :) *Crossing fingers, as the bid will be
              submitted this week to the shire*

              > And yes, you looked fabu!

              Thanks. :-)