Quilted caps? or other ideas

  • Chris Laning
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2004
      I am desperately <g> trying to rack my brain for ideas for a small project using decorative quilting. The reason is that I'm writing a short history-of-quilting article for a needlework guild newsletter and need a "try it yourself" project to include with it.

      It needs to be something that is AUTHENTIC and based on a historical example from some part of Europe or western Asia before 1600.

      It needs to be SMALL and easy enough for a beginner to finish in a reasonable amount of time.

      It needs to NOT be a pouch, bag, pincushion, pillow cover or wall hanging. (One can only use so many little bags, pincushions et cetera....)

      It needs to use DECORATIVE quilting and not just straight lines or little diamond shapes.

      Either ordinary quilting, stuffed quilting (trapunto) or corded quilting is OK.

      So, suggestions?

      .... Okay, well, that's the ideal, anyway. I'm also willing to extrapolate a little from existing examples and thereby produce something "plausible".

      I have this vague feeling that either a pyramid-shaped or drum-shaped hat has been worn by one or another of the Western Asian nomadic peoples -- and since the example of quilting I've currently been looking at is the quilted carpet from Noin Ula, it would be nice if a quilted cap from one of the Western Asian cultures is at least a possibility. But I don't know where to look for information about what these people actually _did_ wear. Sources anyone?

      Another "plausible" possibility is a quilted border to a garment. I'm trying to think of things that would be helped by either the extra warmth or the stiffening that quilting provides.

      Ideas, anyone?

      Thanks for putting your, errr, thinking caps on :)

      Regards,
      Christian de Holacombe

      0 Chris Laning
      | <claning@...>
      + Davis, California
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2004
        I've never seen an example of this, but it seems to me that
        white-on-white quilting for a "fillet" type hat (coffee filter hat
        without the pleats) might be plausible. Might.

        --
        Cynthia Virtue and/or
        Cynthia du Pré Argent

        Memory is the second thing that goes, right after something else, but I
        can't remember what. -- Mike Andrews
      • J. May