Re: [SCA-Milliners] felting a coffee filter hat

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 11, 2004
      Felting a coffee filter hat sounds like a great idea. Do keep us posted!

      Stephanie Maynard wrote:
      >hat shapers has a great online demo on their
      > site on the process (http://www.hatshapers.com/).

      One of these days (like in a year or so) I'm gonna have them make me a
      hat block for heart-shaped hennin underpinnings, and make hat blanks to
      sell to people. All they'd then need to do is cover it to their liking,
      add a stuffed roll, and voila!

      --
      Cynthia Virtue and/or
      Cynthia du Pré Argent

      From LoTR, the movie EE:
      Legolas: Lembas! One bite will fill a man's stomach!
      Pippin, to Merry: How many did *you* eat?
      Merry, whimpering: ... four... (belch)
    • Steph
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 11, 2004
        > One of these days (like in a year or so) I'm gonna have them make
        me a
        > hat block for heart-shaped hennin underpinnings, and make hat
        blanks to
        > sell to people.

        Have you happened to ask them for a quote on what a custom block
        would run? I think I'm going to have to eventually bite the bullet
        and get them to do the same thing for some of the later-period shapes
        I want. I just haven't worked up the nerve to ask about price
        yet. :/

        (Plus I figured I could learn the basics on one of their existing
        blocks.)

        Selene
      • Richard Mowbray
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 12, 2004
          I have seen and heard many ladies who have had some problems with the
          Coffee filter hats (too crushable, they keep any folds or creases, too
          hard to keep their shape, etc.). I used a supple 8oz. leather to make
          the insert for my Lady's hat. It maintains its shape, won't crease, and
          is very light and comfortable to wear. It has the stiffness to stand up
          wothout having anything hard or plastic in it. And, no modern parts!

          =====
          I Live to Serve
          Sir Richard

          http://search.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 12, 2004
            Richard Mowbray wrote:

            > I have seen and heard many ladies who have had some problems with the
            > Coffee filter hats (too crushable, they keep any folds or creases, too
            > hard to keep their shape, etc.). I used a supple 8oz. leather

            Leather is a good idea! The one I wear most often is one thickness of
            buckram, and I can roll it loosely and store it inside of a metal mug
            that I take to events, so no crushing problems.

            --
            Cynthia Virtue and/or
            Cynthia du Pré Argent

            From LoTR, the movie EE:
          • danabren@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 13, 2004
              > I have seen and heard many ladies who have had some problems with the
              > Coffee filter hats (too crushable, they keep any folds or creases, too
              > hard to keep their shape, etc.). I used a supple 8oz. leather to make
              > the insert for my Lady's hat. It maintains its shape, won't crease, and
              > is very light and comfortable to wear. It has the stiffness to stand up
              > wothout having anything hard or plastic in it. And, no modern parts!
              >
              > =====
              > I Live to Serve
              > Sir Richard

              I have an article up in Master Adhemars library section, from a class I origionally taught several years ago. It uses duct tape as a way to waterproof while still giving structural strength.

              http://baronmorgan.gallowglass.org/articles/cna07_plantaganetcap.html

              Danabren

              ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
              Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis
            • mary_m_haselbauer
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 15, 2004
                Is the insert removable or washable? My biggest problem during the
                summer is keeping the dang thing clean. I really need something that
                I can toss in the laundry.

                Here are my notes on the Coffee Filter Hat.
                http://www.geocities.com/mary_m_haselbauer/Slaine_Hat.html

                Someday I'll get around to putting the pictures up. lol
                All of the images are 300 dpi TIFFs at the moment and I just haven't
                had time to convert them to JPEGs.

                Slaine

                --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Richard Mowbray