RE: [SCA-Milliners] felting a coffee filter hat

  • Stephanie Maynard
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 11, 2004
      >There are all kinds of web pages and things about making
      >hats with felt, have any of you tried it?

      Jehane, I'm just starting to get in to trying to felt my own hats. If you
      haven't come across it yet, hat shapers has a great online demo on their
      site on the process (http://www.hatshapers.com/).

      Please post details on how your experiments go and I'll do the same!

      Selene

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 11, 2004
        Felting a coffee filter hat sounds like a great idea. Do keep us posted!

        Stephanie Maynard wrote:
        >hat shapers has a great online demo on their
        > site on the process (http://www.hatshapers.com/).

        One of these days (like in a year or so) I'm gonna have them make me a
        hat block for heart-shaped hennin underpinnings, and make hat blanks to
        sell to people. All they'd then need to do is cover it to their liking,
        add a stuffed roll, and voila!

        --
        Cynthia Virtue and/or
        Cynthia du Pré Argent

        From LoTR, the movie EE:
        Legolas: Lembas! One bite will fill a man's stomach!
        Pippin, to Merry: How many did *you* eat?
        Merry, whimpering: ... four... (belch)
      • Steph
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 11, 2004
          > One of these days (like in a year or so) I'm gonna have them make
          me a
          > hat block for heart-shaped hennin underpinnings, and make hat
          blanks to
          > sell to people.

          Have you happened to ask them for a quote on what a custom block
          would run? I think I'm going to have to eventually bite the bullet
          and get them to do the same thing for some of the later-period shapes
          I want. I just haven't worked up the nerve to ask about price
          yet. :/

          (Plus I figured I could learn the basics on one of their existing
          blocks.)

          Selene
        • Richard Mowbray
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 12, 2004
            I have seen and heard many ladies who have had some problems with the
            Coffee filter hats (too crushable, they keep any folds or creases, too
            hard to keep their shape, etc.). I used a supple 8oz. leather to make
            the insert for my Lady's hat. It maintains its shape, won't crease, and
            is very light and comfortable to wear. It has the stiffness to stand up
            wothout having anything hard or plastic in it. And, no modern parts!

            =====
            I Live to Serve
            Sir Richard

            http://search.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 12, 2004
              Richard Mowbray wrote:

              > I have seen and heard many ladies who have had some problems with the
              > Coffee filter hats (too crushable, they keep any folds or creases, too
              > hard to keep their shape, etc.). I used a supple 8oz. leather

              Leather is a good idea! The one I wear most often is one thickness of
              buckram, and I can roll it loosely and store it inside of a metal mug
              that I take to events, so no crushing problems.

              --
              Cynthia Virtue and/or
              Cynthia du Pré Argent

              From LoTR, the movie EE:
            • danabren@verizon.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 13, 2004
                > I have seen and heard many ladies who have had some problems with the
                > Coffee filter hats (too crushable, they keep any folds or creases, too
                > hard to keep their shape, etc.). I used a supple 8oz. leather to make
                > the insert for my Lady's hat. It maintains its shape, won't crease, and
                > is very light and comfortable to wear. It has the stiffness to stand up
                > wothout having anything hard or plastic in it. And, no modern parts!
                >
                > =====
                > I Live to Serve
                > Sir Richard

                I have an article up in Master Adhemars library section, from a class I origionally taught several years ago. It uses duct tape as a way to waterproof while still giving structural strength.

                http://baronmorgan.gallowglass.org/articles/cna07_plantaganetcap.html

                Danabren

                ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis
              • mary_m_haselbauer
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 15, 2004
                  Is the insert removable or washable? My biggest problem during the
                  summer is keeping the dang thing clean. I really need something that
                  I can toss in the laundry.

                  Here are my notes on the Coffee Filter Hat.
                  http://www.geocities.com/mary_m_haselbauer/Slaine_Hat.html

                  Someday I'll get around to putting the pictures up. lol
                  All of the images are 300 dpi TIFFs at the moment and I just haven't
                  had time to convert them to JPEGs.

                  Slaine

                  --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Richard Mowbray