Re: [SCA-Milliners] ? about headwear PBS's Medici show

  • Bice d'Este
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
      Here's the site just for the record:
      http://www.pbs.org/empires/medici/index.html
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Cynthia Virtue
      To: SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 8:23 AM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Milliners] ? about headwear PBS's Medici show

      > We shut cable off years ago (hurrah for videos & DVDs!) and so sadly
      > I didn't get to see this show (or any of the really spiff stuff which
      > seems to have been floating about the airwaves lately). Hopefully, as
      > Cynthia said, there are stills, so that we can see?

      I did a quick search, and found that it's a 4-part series and you can
      get a DVD, but the main site for the series didn't have anything
      intensive on the costumes.

      --
      Cynthia Virtue and/or
      Cynthia du Pré Argent

      Fear of the number thirteen: triskaidekaphobia
      fear of Friday the 13th: paraskevidekatriaphobia

      Community email addresses:
      Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
      Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

      Shortcut URL to this page:
      http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

    • Bice dEste
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
        I did some digging (missed this series btw I'll most likely grab it
        on DVD when someone sells it up on ebay or something) And looked to
        see who had a hand in the costuming:

        Costume Manager:
        Jason Gill

        Costume Assistant:
        Heidi Miller

        Do those names sound familiar to anyone? The second one does to me
        but who knows.
      • jennifer jackson
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
          I got to see the show....I have seen the hat
          I think it is very similar to this one
          http://www.uvm.edu/%7Ehag/sca/15th/ainsworthp97.jpg

          ....I was upset that she was wearing white for her
          wedding day!
          It was a pretty gown though.;)
          Alisaundre

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
            jennifer jackson wrote:

            > I got to see the show....I have seen the hat
            > I think it is very similar to this one
            > http://www.uvm.edu/%7Ehag/sca/15th/ainsworthp97.jpg

            Oh, the St. Eligius. But that's northern Europe, and wouldn't be
            suitable for Italy! Maybe the costume designers didn't care. The horns
            are over the ears, though, not in the back. Hmm.

            --
            Cynthia Virtue and/or
            Cynthia du Pré Argent

            Fear of the number thirteen: triskaidekaphobia
            fear of Friday the 13th: paraskevidekatriaphobia
          • janeravenswood
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
              I've uploaded a small sketch from what I remember the hat thing
              looking like (in Photos, Darka's folder.) Some of the angles are
              wrong, I think, but the basic look is right.

              Darka

              --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@t...>
              wrote:
              > jennifer jackson wrote:
              >
              > > I got to see the show....I have seen the hat
              > > I think it is very similar to this one
              > > http://www.uvm.edu/%7Ehag/sca/15th/ainsworthp97.jpg
              >
              > Oh, the St. Eligius. But that's northern Europe, and wouldn't be
              > suitable for Italy! Maybe the costume designers didn't care. The
              horns
              > are over the ears, though, not in the back. Hmm.
              >
              > --
              > Cynthia Virtue and/or
              > Cynthia du Pré Argent
              >
              > Fear of the number thirteen: triskaidekaphobia
              > fear of Friday the 13th: paraskevidekatriaphobia
            • Kathy Hensley
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
                janeravenswood <janeravenswood@...> wrote:
                Hello,

                Did anyone else watch the PBS Medici show? There was an odd
                headdress/hat during the wedding scene that the bride was wearing.
                Darka

                Yes! My computer has a tv built in and I can record shows, so when I know something will have costumes, I record and attempt to capture pictures. Not first rate quality but here goes.

                Community email addresses:
                Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
                Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

                Shortcut URL to this page:
                http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                Click Here

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
                  Kathy Hensley <nanaseven72003@...> wrote:

                  As usual my attachments didn't attach. I created an album Nanaseven72003. Hope it works.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
                    < I created an album Nanaseven72003. Hope it works. >

                    There is an album, but there's nothing in it. :-(

                    Luca

                  • Kathy Hensley
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
                      You are ahead of me. The pictures are now there.

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                      Click Here

                    • Gloster, Kendall
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
                        < You are ahead of me. The pictures are now there. >
                        *grin* Sorry about that. I don't have cable, so I'm quite anxious to see the headdress.

                        Thanks for putting the pics up for us.

                        Luca

                      • Bice dEste
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
                          Wow a rather decent effort at costuming. How badly off are these?
                          Any opinions?

                          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Gloster, Kendall"

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
                            Wow! Thanks, Kathy.

                            Hmm. I've never seen anything like that in pictures, but Italy isn't my
                            area of knowledge. I have seen semi-see-through hennins before:
                            exclusively in movies (the horns on the stepmother in Ever After, for
                            example, and the giant queen in The Silver Chair.)

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
                              Bless you, Kathy! You even got the white hat that one of the "ladies-
                              in-waiting" was wearing that I like.

                              Darka

                              --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Hensley
                              <nanaseven72003@y...> wrote:

                              > Kathy Hensley <nanaseven72003@y...> wrote:
                              >
                              > As usual my attachments didn't attach. I created an album
                              Nanaseven72003. Hope it works.

                            • Katherine Barich
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
                                What immediately came to my mind is the portrait of Catarina Coronaro, Queen of Cyprus:

                                http://bornova.ege.edu.tr/~ncyprus/caterina.html

                                or several of the Turkish/Middle Eastern woodcut images in Vecellio's Renaissance Costume book.

                                I wonder if the designer saw the Catarina Coronaro portrait while looking at Titian's portraits, but didn't realize that she was wearing Turkish/Greek clothing.

                                Katherine Barich

                                From: "janeravenswood" <janeravenswood@...>
                                Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:51:40 -0000

                                ><tt>
                                >Bless you, Kathy!  You even got the white hat that one of the "ladies-<BR>
                                >in-waiting" was wearing that I like.<BR>
                                ><BR>
                                >Darka<BR>
                                ><BR>
                                >--- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Hensley <BR>
                                ><nanaseven72003@y...> wrote:<BR>
                                >> <BR>
                                >> <BR>
                                >> Kathy Hensley <nanaseven72003@y...> wrote:<BR>
                                >> <BR>
                                >> As usual my attachments didn't attach.  I created an album <BR>
                                >Nanaseven72003.  Hope it works.<BR>
                                >> <BR>
                                >> <BR>
                                ><BR>
                                ></tt>

                                ><tt>
                                >Community email addresses:<BR>
                                >  Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com<BR>
                                >  Subscribe:    SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com<BR>
                                ><BR>
                                >Shortcut URL to this page:<BR>
                                >

                                ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

                                ><tt><hr width="500">
                                ><ul>
                                ></ul>
                                ></tt>
                                >
                                ><!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

                              • Kat
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 15, 2004
                                  what was the website for the series, may I ask or did I miss it?
                                  Kat
                                  Innilgard