Re: [SCA-Milliners] ? about headwear PBS's Medici show

    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
      > We shut cable off years ago (hurrah for videos & DVDs!) and so sadly
      > I didn't get to see this show (or any of the really spiff stuff which
      > seems to have been floating about the airwaves lately). Hopefully, as
      > Cynthia said, there are stills, so that we can see?

      I did a quick search, and found that it's a 4-part series and you can
      get a DVD, but the main site for the series didn't have anything
      intensive on the costumes.

      --
      Cynthia Virtue and/or
      Cynthia du Pré Argent

      Fear of the number thirteen: triskaidekaphobia
      fear of Friday the 13th: paraskevidekatriaphobia
    • Bice d'Este
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
        Here's the site just for the record:
        http://www.pbs.org/empires/medici/index.html
        > We shut cable off years ago (hurrah for videos & DVDs!) and so sadly
        > I didn't get to see this show (or any of the really spiff stuff which
        > seems to have been floating about the airwaves lately). Hopefully, as
        > Cynthia said, there are stills, so that we can see?

        I did a quick search, and found that it's a 4-part series and you can
        get a DVD, but the main site for the series didn't have anything
        intensive on the costumes.

        --
        Cynthia Virtue and/or
        Cynthia du Pré Argent

        Fear of the number thirteen: triskaidekaphobia
        fear of Friday the 13th: paraskevidekatriaphobia

        Community email addresses:
        Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
        Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

        Shortcut URL to this page:
        http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

      • Bice dEste
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
          I did some digging (missed this series btw I'll most likely grab it
          on DVD when someone sells it up on ebay or something) And looked to
          see who had a hand in the costuming:

          Costume Manager:
          Jason Gill

          Costume Assistant:
          Heidi Miller

          Do those names sound familiar to anyone? The second one does to me
          but who knows.
        • jennifer jackson
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
            I got to see the show....I have seen the hat
            I think it is very similar to this one
            http://www.uvm.edu/%7Ehag/sca/15th/ainsworthp97.jpg

            ....I was upset that she was wearing white for her
            wedding day!
            It was a pretty gown though.;)
            Alisaundre

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
              jennifer jackson wrote:

              > I got to see the show....I have seen the hat
              > I think it is very similar to this one
              > http://www.uvm.edu/%7Ehag/sca/15th/ainsworthp97.jpg

              Oh, the St. Eligius. But that's northern Europe, and wouldn't be
              suitable for Italy! Maybe the costume designers didn't care. The horns
              are over the ears, though, not in the back. Hmm.

              --
              Cynthia Virtue and/or
              Cynthia du Pré Argent

              Fear of the number thirteen: triskaidekaphobia
              fear of Friday the 13th: paraskevidekatriaphobia
            • janeravenswood
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
                I've uploaded a small sketch from what I remember the hat thing
                looking like (in Photos, Darka's folder.) Some of the angles are
                wrong, I think, but the basic look is right.

                Darka

                --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@t...>
                wrote:
                > jennifer jackson wrote:
                >
                > > I got to see the show....I have seen the hat
                > > I think it is very similar to this one
                > > http://www.uvm.edu/%7Ehag/sca/15th/ainsworthp97.jpg
                >
                > Oh, the St. Eligius. But that's northern Europe, and wouldn't be
                > suitable for Italy! Maybe the costume designers didn't care. The
                horns
                > are over the ears, though, not in the back. Hmm.
                >
                > --
                > Cynthia Virtue and/or
                > Cynthia du Pré Argent
                >
                > Fear of the number thirteen: triskaidekaphobia
                > fear of Friday the 13th: paraskevidekatriaphobia
              • Kathy Hensley
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
                  janeravenswood <janeravenswood@...> wrote:
                  Hello,

                  Did anyone else watch the PBS Medici show? There was an odd
                  headdress/hat during the wedding scene that the bride was wearing.
                  Darka

                  Yes! My computer has a tv built in and I can record shows, so when I know something will have costumes, I record and attempt to capture pictures. Not first rate quality but here goes.

                  Community email addresses:
                  Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
                  Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

                  Shortcut URL to this page:
                  http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                  Click Here

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
                    Kathy Hensley <nanaseven72003@...> wrote:

                    As usual my attachments didn't attach. I created an album Nanaseven72003. Hope it works.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
                      < I created an album Nanaseven72003. Hope it works. >

                      There is an album, but there's nothing in it. :-(

                      Luca

                    • Kathy Hensley
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
                        You are ahead of me. The pictures are now there.

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                        Click Here

                      • Gloster, Kendall
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
                          < You are ahead of me. The pictures are now there. >
                          *grin* Sorry about that. I don't have cable, so I'm quite anxious to see the headdress.

                          Thanks for putting the pics up for us.

                          Luca

                        • Bice dEste
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
                            Wow a rather decent effort at costuming. How badly off are these?
                            Any opinions?

                            --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Gloster, Kendall"

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
                              Wow! Thanks, Kathy.

                              Hmm. I've never seen anything like that in pictures, but Italy isn't my
                              area of knowledge. I have seen semi-see-through hennins before:
                              exclusively in movies (the horns on the stepmother in Ever After, for
                              example, and the giant queen in The Silver Chair.)

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
                                Bless you, Kathy! You even got the white hat that one of the "ladies-
                                in-waiting" was wearing that I like.

                                Darka

                                --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Hensley
                                <nanaseven72003@y...> wrote:

                                > Kathy Hensley <nanaseven72003@y...> wrote:
                                >
                                > As usual my attachments didn't attach. I created an album
                                Nanaseven72003. Hope it works.

                              • Katherine Barich
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 13, 2004
                                  What immediately came to my mind is the portrait of Catarina Coronaro, Queen of Cyprus:

                                  http://bornova.ege.edu.tr/~ncyprus/caterina.html

                                  or several of the Turkish/Middle Eastern woodcut images in Vecellio's Renaissance Costume book.

                                  I wonder if the designer saw the Catarina Coronaro portrait while looking at Titian's portraits, but didn't realize that she was wearing Turkish/Greek clothing.

                                  Katherine Barich

                                  From: "janeravenswood" <janeravenswood@...>
                                  Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:51:40 -0000

                                  ><tt>
                                  >Bless you, Kathy!  You even got the white hat that one of the "ladies-<BR>
                                  >in-waiting" was wearing that I like.<BR>
                                  ><BR>
                                  >Darka<BR>
                                  ><BR>
                                  >--- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Hensley <BR>
                                  ><nanaseven72003@y...> wrote:<BR>
                                  >> <BR>
                                  >> <BR>
                                  >> Kathy Hensley <nanaseven72003@y...> wrote:<BR>
                                  >> <BR>
                                  >> As usual my attachments didn't attach.  I created an album <BR>
                                  >Nanaseven72003.  Hope it works.<BR>
                                  >> <BR>
                                  >> <BR>
                                  ><BR>
                                  ></tt>

                                  ><tt>
                                  >Community email addresses:<BR>
                                  >  Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com<BR>
                                  >  Subscribe:    SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com<BR>
                                  ><BR>
                                  >Shortcut URL to this page:<BR>
                                  >

                                  ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

                                  ><tt><hr width="500">
                                  ><ul>
                                  ></ul>
                                  ></tt>
                                  >
                                  ><!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

                                • Kat
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 15, 2004
                                    what was the website for the series, may I ask or did I miss it?
                                    Kat
                                    Innilgard