hair hat

  • Susan Griner
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
      I went to an event this weekend in my Venetian and my hair was
      a mess! I tried to put it up as in the Carpaccio portrait but it was
      not as nice as I would have liked. I was thinking of making a "hair
      hat" that I could just pin on top of my head. Has anyone else
      done this? How did this turn out?
      Thanks for the input,
      Lucrezia del Belcoure
      http://www.akg-london.co.uk/coll/lessing/text/117226.htm
    • Jean Hortman
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
        A snug fitting short hair wig from the thrift store makes a nice base.
        Matching hair pieces can then be built onto it and styled. Just be careful
        as you stitch the pieces down not to destroy the elasticity of the base.
        Also don't use a blow dryer or hot curlers for styling as the hair will
        melt. Some hair sprays can also damage or destroy it. A spray bottle of
        plain water and pinned or curlered in place for 24 hours will usually do
        the job. When not wearing it, it is best kept on a form in a lidded box or
        behind closed doors as cats love to nest on them. I've tried just hair
        pieces on top of my head but they have a tendency to slip, pull and cause
        headaches.

        Storm

      • Jen Small
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
          I actually make and sell "hair hats" at Pennsic! How long is your hair? If it's long enough to even get into a stubby ponytail, what you can do is get the long loose hair they use to make extensions (at a Sally or other beauty supply store), make long braids with this hair (about 1 package worth is a good sized braid, although I recommend mixing 2 close colors together). You can then wrap this braid around your head, making a fake bun in the back and a coronet to go around the front of your head, and bobby pin it in place -- you use your ponytail (or bun) in back as an anchor. What I do is then sew these braids to themselves to make a permanently shaped "hair hat" but it will work perfectly well with just bobby pins. What color is your hair?

          Susan Griner <susang45@...> wrote:I went to an event this weekend in my Venetian and my hair was
          a mess! I tried to put it up as in the Carpaccio portrait but it was
          not as nice as I would have liked. I was thinking of making a "hair
          hat" that I could just pin on top of my head. Has anyone else
          done this? How did this turn out?
          Thanks for the input,
          Lucrezia del Belcoure
          http://www.akg-london.co.uk/coll/lessing/text/117226.htm

          Community email addresses:
          Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
          Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

          Shortcut URL to this page:
          http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Susan Griner
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
            Jen,
            My hair is almost to the small of my back and is "Lush Cherry". It
            says so on the bottle :) I put my hair into a high pony tail and
            pinned it up with a false hair hank in a high coronet and then sewed
            it in place with ribbon. It turned out lumpy, especially where the
            pony tail and false hair started. I staggered them to lessen this
            effect but it still was lumpy.
            Lucrezia