Re: Italian Renaissance hair covering - Please help

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2004
      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Elinor" <elinor@a...> wrote:
      > only have one outfit that is even semi-complete (side-laced Italian
      > Renaissance gamurra ca. 1500 but sadly lacking a giornea). I
      thought it was
      > Venetian inspired, but I got a lot of inspiration from a lot of
      Ghirlandaio
      > which I never realized was Florentine until I visited the Festive
      Attyre
      > page mentioned in the earlier discussion.
      SNIP>
      > My quandry is - what to do with my hair? I don't have any fake
      hair to help
      > me achieve a braid with hair taping. Would a veil be in order
      (since I am a
      > married woman after all)? If so, what shape and dimensions?
      Would it be
      > okay to make it out of white cotton (cost is a major consideration
      here)?

      I jusat taught a class on this garb (florentine ladies garb, 1495)
      so I looked at a lot of pics. We did not get into headwear
      intensively, but most of the noble ladies seem to have a diaphinous
      veil (maybe 24" by 60") with a little gold embroidery or woven
      stripes, etc. They mostly wear it loosely wrapped so it covers the
      bun and back of head and the front of the hair sticks out. They
      definitely crimped their temple hair and wore it in what I
      call "puppy-dog ears". There was some random briding going on.

      The servant ladies almost all are wearing similar size veils in
      an "Aunt-Jemima" style. Center a loose weave or gauze veil of the
      proportions above (or longer) on the back of your head. Take both
      ends of veil to the front (making sure to contain most of your
      hair). Twist the ends of the veil together so you have the top &
      back of your head completely encased in the center of the veil and a
      long twisted "rope" made out of the rest of the veil. Wrap
      this "rope" around head, at edge of "turban" as many times as it
      will go and tuck the end under one of the twists when you get to the
      end. This arrangment can be done from front to back, also.

      The servant headdress could work well for you if you upgrade it with
      a nice fabric with little gold threads or satin stripes in it.

      I dont recall that small caps were particularly Florentine (in this
      period), but they may have been poular in Venice.

      Rashid

      > I've also seen pictures of small caps and I recall seeing some
      websites with
      > instructions to make them in the past. What are they called so I
      can do a
      > search for them, or does anyone have some instructions they can
      point me
      > towards? What would I make them out of?
      >
      > Should I crimp my bangs? I actually still have my crimper from
      the late
      > 80's. I'd have to see if it still works.
      >
      > My outfit won't be near complete or accurate, but I think I'd feel
      better
      > with having a period hair treatment for once in my SCA experience
      instead of
      > resorting to the elastic snood as I always seem to. Anything that
      will only
      > take a few hours is achievable.
      >
      > Please help! I promise to take a picture of whatever I accomplish
      to share
      > with you all.
      >
      > - Elinor
    • Kat
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2004
        Dear Elinor,

        > My quandry is - what to do with my hair? I don't have any fake hair to
        help
        > me achieve a braid with hair taping.
        > I've also seen pictures of small caps and I recall seeing some websites
        with
        > instructions to make them in the past. What are they called so I can do a
        > search for them, or does anyone have some instructions they can point me
        > towards? What would I make them out of?

        How about mak=ing a little white linen caul. there is instructions on my
        website home.iprimus.com.au/adeptus/kat/

        > Should I crimp my bangs? I actually still have my crimper from the late
        > 80's. I'd have to see if it still works.

        you can do this to the front 1/3?? of your hair and put the back of your
        hair in a bun - cover it if it is too small, or buy a fake bun (buy them
        from hairdressers?) or with the caul. pic a portrait and copy it.

        this may help.
        Kat
        Innilgard.