Where is everybody?

  • Silverwood
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2000
      : ) 'K people, Can't do this alone.
      My name is Wyndylyn. I am a 14th Celt and my favorite dress style is high waisted Burgundian. One of the reasons is the number of variations on the dress itself. The other is the huge number of variations for headdresses and hair styles.
      I have found documentation for over a dozen distinct styles including turbans, hennins, wired headrolls, layered veils, and crespins. I'm currently working on a turban that I hope to be able to fix to a base so that I can pull it on like a hat and run. (Second reason I like Burgundian is that most of the variations on the dress are pullovers) Currently, I'm wearing a wired headroll that's shaped like a V front and back.
      From on top it's an ellipse. I used Rolex wire to shape it. The roll was made of 12" of gold brocade 45" wide, folded right side in and two seams 1/2" and 1 1/2" from the cut edge. Turned right side out, a casing is formed for the wire inside the roll that won't slide around inside. If the wire is formed to fit the head before it is inserted, it can be mostly straightened and inserted in the casing before it is stuffed then rebent when the roll is finished. A swatch of fabric can then be pin fitted between the sides while it is on the head then whipstitched for a custom fit. I like to straight pin (lengthwise) the veil along the same seam so that the veil can be remoced for cleaning and ironing. The pin points can be buried in the sides of the roll so that they don't prick. I center the veil in the front hanging forward then work may way around the edges with the veil hanging outside the roll. When the back is reached the veil can be pulled into place and will hang neatly between the edges of the roll and cover the pins.
      I don't like the feel of things against my neck so I count on the spring of the wire to hold it in place but many of the pictures show a swath of veil from the high point of the V under the chin and up to the other side. Underneath I wear either a snood or a single braid.
      Anybody else?

      Wyndylyn