elizabethan coif question

  • JM Kessler
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2000
      Greetings,

      I have a question about spangles/sequins. I was looking at a picture of
      an elizabethan black worked coif in "Queen Elizabeth's Closet" and
      noticed that there were (what they called) spangles on it. I had also
      seen (in person) another coif, a few years ago, at the Folger
      Shakespeare Museum in Washington DC which also had spangles. It was
      under glass, so I couldn't get too close a look.

      Just by chance at the Lakewood Lions Ren Fair in Carillion, I met a
      vendor who had spangle like pieces of amber. Small round pieces of amber
      cut into wafer thin slices. I bought a small bag worth, aprox 1-2
      ounces, and thought they would be good for this.

      What would have been used in period? I had heard/read something about
      bug wings, is this true?

      Thanks,
      Straya
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2000
        > What would have been used in period? I had heard/read something about
        > bug wings, is this true?

        Folks more fanatic than I about embroidery, say that they used metal
        spangles - Os made of gold. There are places that you can buy these,
        but I don't know where they are; searching the historic-costume list
        archives will probably find them.

        "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet LXXXI
        "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia V.
      • Elizabeth M Wallace
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2000
          If you are web capable, try www.kreinik.com. Kreinik is a wholesale
          distributor of neat embroidery materials, including spangles. They have
          them in at least 4 different sizes, in both gold and silver. Write to
          them on their web site and they will help you locate an embroidery shop
          close to you that sells their product line. Then you go to that store and
          special order your spangles. Kreinik's spangles are identical to period
          spangles and will make a big difference in the look of your coif. If you
          use silver spangles, store your completed coif in a silver bag to prevent
          tarnish. I've made a spangled elizabethan coif myself, and the light
          glinting off the spangles in a candlelit feast hall really can't be beat.

          Elspeth nic Cormac

          On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 19:16:56 -0500 Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@...>
          writes:

          > > What would have been used in period? I had heard/read
          > something about
          > > bug wings, is this true?
          >
          > Folks more fanatic than I about embroidery, say that they used metal
          > spangles - Os made of gold. There are places that you can buy these,
          > but I don't know where they are; searching the historic-costume list
          > archives will probably find them.
          >
          > --
          > Cynthia du Pr� Argent
          > "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet LXXXI
          > "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia V.

          > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 9, 2001
            Greetings,

            --- In SCA-Milliners@egroups.com, JM Kessler <jmkessler1@h...> wrote:
            > Greetings,
            >
            > I have a question about spangles/sequins. I was looking at a
            picture of
            > an elizabethan black worked coif in "Queen Elizabeth's Closet" and
            > noticed that there were (what they called) spangles on it. I had
            also
            > seen (in person) another coif, a few years ago, at the Folger
            > Shakespeare Museum in Washington DC which also had spangles. It was
            > under glass, so I couldn't get too close a look.
            >
            > Just by chance at the Lakewood Lions Ren Fair in Carillion, I
            met a
            > vendor who had spangle like pieces of amber. Small round pieces of
            amber
            > cut into wafer thin slices. I bought a small bag worth, aprox 1-2
            > ounces, and thought they would be good for this.
            >
            > What would have been used in period? I had heard/read
            something about
            > bug wings, is this true?

            I seem to remember hearing something about that at some point as well
            but, I can't say about it's validity. However, I do know that fish
            scales were used as spangles (I've seen photos in a Danish needlework
            book). I do know that http://www.5rivers.org/ was carrying real gold
            spangles. I belive Hedgehog Handworks was carrying them as well.

            Cheers,
            Gwendoline