Re: [SCA-Milliners] Newbie and Questions

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
      Lori Leppink wrote:
      > In the early 1500s there is
      > an Italian style of dress where the sleeves are puffed on the top and
      > tight on the lower arms, and the women wearing these dresses have on
      > their heads what looks like a highly decorated padded roll.

      If it's the very large, globular hat, it's called a "balzo" and it's not
      a padded roll, but something supported internally. There is a
      contemporary picture of a woman wearing a "naked" balzo where you can
      see the framework, but I don't know any details to point your search.

      I've seen this style tried with a padded roll, but you tend to end up
      with an oval cross-section of the roll due to the size and geometry,
      when you need more of a circular cross section.

      --
      Cynthia Virtue and/or
      Cynthia du Pré Argent

      Crivens!

      Finally the SCA, Inc. is asking your opinion about membership payment
      issues and other things, in an easy online survey. Take it at
      http://www.sca.org/survey/
    • AntoniadiTroina@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
        In a message dated 11/01/2003 7:30:39 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
        cvirtue@... writes:

        > If it's the very large, globular hat, it's called a "balzo" and it's not
        > a padded roll, but something supported internally. There is a
        > contemporary picture of a woman wearing a "naked" balzo where you can
        > see the framework, but I don't know any details to point your search.

        balzo page
        <A HREF="http://www.home.earthlink.net/~lizjones429/balzo-new.htm">http://www.home.earthlink.net/~lizjones429/balzo-new.htm</A>

        A nice in-depth with full instructions on how to make one. Lots of pictures,
        both how-to and reference sorts.

        Antonia

      • Lori Leppink
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2003
          Thanks for your help! I found the website and printed out the
          instructions, and I am going to give it a try.

          Giovanna