New to group and hatmaking!

  • ladyvictoria1970
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 10, 2003
      Hello All!
      I have never made a hat before but I am interested in learning.
      Anyone have any ideas for a good starting place? Any advice would be
      great!
      Lady Victoria
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 10, 2003
        ladyvictoria1970 wrote:
        > Anyone have any ideas for a good starting place? Any advice would be
        > great!

        Welcome!

        The best starting place is to make a hat to go with an outfit you
        already have, that way you can wear it as soon as it is done! We'll be
        happy to make suggestions when you decide which era.

        Or, if you just want to launch into it, tell us that!

        --
        Cynthia Virtue and/or
        Cynthia du Pré Argent

        Would you appear nude in a movie?
        I don't even bathe nude. -- Alison Bechdel
      • victoria spencer
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 10, 2003
          Hello Cynthia,
          I would like to start out with something on the
          simpler side from the Elizabethan era, if that helps.
          Kimberly;)
          --- Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@...> wrote:
          > ladyvictoria1970 wrote:
          > > Anyone have any ideas for a good starting place?
          > Any advice would be
          > > great!
          >
          > Welcome!
          >
          > The best starting place is to make a hat to go with
          > an outfit you
          > already have, that way you can wear it as soon as it
          > is done! We'll be
          > happy to make suggestions when you decide which era.
          >
          > Or, if you just want to launch into it, tell us
          > that!
          >
          > --
          > Cynthia Virtue and/or
          > Cynthia du Pr� Argent
          >
          > Would you appear nude in a movie?
          > I don't even bathe nude. -- Alison Bechdel

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • janeravenswood
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 10, 2003
            the pillbox style hats from the elizabethan era are a good place to
            start. The one I made (out of plastic canvas, but hey, I'm a
            beginner too!) took only a few hours.

            Darka

            --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, victoria spencer
            <ladyvictoria1970@y...> wrote:
            > Hello Cynthia,
            > I would like to start out with something on the
            > simpler side from the Elizabethan era, if that helps.
            > Kimberly;)
            > --- Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@t...> wrote:
            > > ladyvictoria1970 wrote:
            > > > Anyone have any ideas for a good starting place?
            > > Any advice would be
            > > > great!
            > >
            > > Welcome!
            > >
            > > The best starting place is to make a hat to go with
            > > an outfit you
            > > already have, that way you can wear it as soon as it
            > > is done! We'll be
            > > happy to make suggestions when you decide which era.
            > >
            > > Or, if you just want to launch into it, tell us
            > > that!
            > >
            > > --
            > > Cynthia Virtue and/or
            > > Cynthia du Pré Argent
            > >
            > > Would you appear nude in a movie?
            > > I don't even bathe nude. -- Alison Bechdel

            > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • victoria spencer
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 10, 2003
              Darka,
              Did you use a pattern or try from scratch? I've
              thought about ordering the Lynn McMaster patterns but
              didn't know how difficult it would be.
              Kimberly
              --- janeravenswood <janeravenswood@...> wrote:
              > the pillbox style hats from the elizabethan era are
              > a good place to
              > start. The one I made (out of plastic canvas, but
              > hey, I'm a
              > beginner too!) took only a few hours.
              >
              > Darka
              >
              > --

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • janeravenswood
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 11, 2003
                I made mine from scratch, being before I knew that there were any
                patterns out there. I basically mocked one out of poster board to
                get the look I wanted, then used the posterboard as a pattern. I
                basically whipstitched the plastic canvas together at the edges, made
                a black cotton velveteen cover for it also using the pattern (a bit
                expanded for seam allowances) and then whipstitched the cover onto
                the plastic. This was a "oh my goodness, I have a really cool dress
                but it looks odd without a hat" made in hours kind of thing. I secure
                it to my head using a hat pin through a bun in my hair. If I have
                the presence of mind tonight, I'll use my nifty new digital camera to
                shoot a picture of it.

                <ladyvictoria1970@y...> wrote:
                > Darka,
                > Did you use a pattern or try from scratch? I've
                > thought about ordering the Lynn McMaster patterns but
                > didn't know how difficult it would be.
                > Kimberly
                > --- janeravenswood <janeravenswood@y...> wrote:
                > > the pillbox style hats from the elizabethan era are
                > > a good place to
                > > start. The one I made (out of plastic canvas, but
                > > hey, I'm a
                > > beginner too!) took only a few hours.
                > >
                > > Darka
                > >
                > > --

                > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • victoria spencer
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 11, 2003
                  Darka,
                  That is so cool that you made it from scratch! I'd
                  love to see the photos! It gives me hope to try. Have
                  you used the Lynn McMasters patterns? are they fairly
                  easy to use?
                  Lady Victoria

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                • janeravenswood
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 12, 2003
                    I'll try to take some photos this weekend. Trust me, it's a
                    wonderfully easy project and make you feel all happy that you
                    actually *made* a hat.
                    I haven't used any of the Lynn McMaster patterns. I do want to,
                    especially the arched brim tall hat. Just got a felt hat form for a
                    cavalier hat for my husband and a bunch of feathers for us both. I
                    just love hats, being blessed to look good in anything placed upon my
                    head (well, perhaps not everything<grin>).

                    <ladyvictoria1970@y...> wrote:
                    > Darka,
                    > That is so cool that you made it from scratch! I'd
                    > love to see the photos! It gives me hope to try. Have
                    > you used the Lynn McMasters patterns? are they fairly
                    > easy to use?
                    > Lady Victoria

                    > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                  • victoria spencer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 12, 2003
                      Darka,
                      I just think that's so cool and it gives me some
                      inspiration! I am thinking I may buy a few of the Lynn
                      McMaster patterns since they are close to what I want.
                      I also just oredered the Janet Arnold book on patterns
                      in fashion and I am hoping that there are some hat
                      examples in there as well. It may be awhile before I
                      begin my attempt but I am definately excited, and
                      you've only given me more enthusiasm to get started!
                      Thank you!
                      Lady Victoria

                      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                    • Steph
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 13, 2003
                        Greetings. I am a big fan of Ms. McMasters patterns. I'd recommend,
                        however, giving yourself some time if your first hat is going to be
                        something like one of her arched-brims.

                        Unless you're able to find the heavy, theatrical weight buckram,
                        you'll probably want to use two layers of the thinner stuff glued
                        together. (I like Fabri-Tac glue.)

                        I've previously taught a class on making Elizabethan tall/arched-brim
                        hats. If you're interested, I've put a copy of the directions in the
                        File section of the list under the "Selene" folder. (I've gotten to
                        a point where I use a combination of techniques suggested by Ms.
                        McMasters, From the Neck Up, and a class I took at Chicago KWAR.)

                        Selene
                      • Steph
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 13, 2003
                          > the pillbox style hats from the elizabethan era are a good place to
                          > start. The one I made (out of plastic canvas, but hey, I'm a
                          > beginner too!) took only a few hours.
                          >
                          > Darka

                          A couple of the ladies who do Elizabethan costuming out here make
                          these. I'm curious, though... does anyone know of historical
                          examples of these? Or is this an SCA invention? (Sorry. I ask that
                          question a lot.)

                          Selene
                        • victoria spencer
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 13, 2003
                            Hello Selene,
                            You're instructions are great! I was wondering,
                            what class did you take in Chicago? I live in the
                            area and it mighh\t be something I'd be interested in.
                            I'm definately anxious to start work on a hat!;)
                            Lady Victoria

                            --- Steph <miladyblade@...> wrote:
                            > Greetings. I am a big fan of Ms. McMasters patterns.
                            > I'd recommend,
                            > however, giving yourself some time if your first hat
                            > is going to be
                            > something like one of her arched-brims.
                            >
                            > Unless you're able to find the heavy, theatrical
                            > weight buckram,
                            > you'll probably want to use two layers of the
                            > thinner stuff glued
                            > together. (I like Fabri-Tac glue.)
                            >
                            > I've previously taught a class on making Elizabethan
                            > tall/arched-brim
                            > hats. If you're interested, I've put a copy of the
                            > directions in the
                            > File section of the list under the "Selene" folder.
                            > (I've gotten to
                            > a point where I use a combination of techniques
                            > suggested by Ms.
                            > McMasters, From the Neck Up, and a class I took at
                            > Chicago KWAR.)
                            >
                            > Selene

                            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                          • Stephanie Maynard
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 14, 2003
                              >Hello Selene,
                              > You're instructions are great! I was wondering,
                              >what class did you take in Chicago?

                              The lady who own the Semstrix site (http://members.tripod.com/seamstrix/)
                              taught a class in Elizabethan tall hats at KWAR 2001 in Chicago. (I'm
                              embarassed to say I've forgotten her name. :/ It was a long weekend.)

                              >I live in the
                              >area and it mighh\t be something I'd be interested in.
                              >I'm definately anxious to start work on a hat!;)

                              Definitely look her up if you're in the area. I believe she does a lot of
                              costuming for the RenFaire circuit out there and is passionate about
                              later-period hats. It sounded like she'd taught the class a couple of
                              times.

                              In the class I attended she recommended using plastic canvas for the base of
                              the hats. I can understand her thought process behind this as she is
                              normally making costumes for reenactors who need to be able to function in
                              all kinds of weather. She probably didn't want to be re-blocking buckram
                              hats that got rained on repeatedly.

                              I have to admit to preferring working with buckram, though. I like the way
                              it shapes and, to me, it produces a better looking finished hat. But that's
                              just my two cents.

                              Selene

                              Fast, faster, fastest: Upgrade to Cable or DSL today!
                              https://broadband.msn.com
                            • janeravenswood
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 20, 2003
                                finally got photos of my first pillbox hat up (in the "darka"
                                folder). It's a bit furry from my cats (one of which you can see in
                                the last picture) and I couldn't get the slashes in the top to be
                                even when I made it but it didn't turn out half bad. I stitched a
                                flexible hair comb inside it to keep it on my head and supplemented
                                that with a long hat pin through my bunned up hair.

                                <ladyvictoria1970@y...> wrote:
                                > Darka,
                                > That is so cool that you made it from scratch! I'd
                                > love to see the photos! It gives me hope to try. Have
                                > you used the Lynn McMasters patterns? are they fairly
                                > easy to use?
                                > Lady Victoria

                                > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                              • victoria spencer
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 21, 2003
                                  Darka,
                                  Your photos are great! I can tell how you made the
                                  hat by the photos. I bought some plastic canvas
                                  myself, but time-wise I think it will be awhile before
                                  I can start making anything. I am definately excited
                                  to try. I must say that I love the kitty as well. My
                                  sister has one that looks just like yours;)

                                  Thanks for sharing! Hopefully I'll be able to post
                                  photos of my first hat;)
                                  Lady Victoria

                                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com