shapes to felt hats on

  • Dana L Sheppard
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2003
      Greetings,

      In regards to the request of what to felt a hat around:

      I have several of the plastic-coated foam hatblocks sold by Frank's Cane
      and Rush Supply which work very well for felting on. I make my own felt
      hoods, but I know of milliners who use Frank's blocks with pre-made felt
      hoods as well. Frank's makes several shapes: fedora, gentle dome (a
      slightly rounded 4" crown), tall dome (taller rounded crown, a bit more
      pointed than the gentle dome), and a flat-topped oval crown about 4"
      tall. They come in 22" to 24" (circumference). Sometimes the plastic
      coating is not so good - it may have holes here and there where you can
      see the foam - so you can either cover the holes with duct tape (as I
      have done) or tell Frank's when you order that you want it for felting,
      and they will send you the best one they have.

      Frank's is in California, the Bay Area I think - but they probably have a
      website. I also think www.hatsupply.com and www.judithm.com carry them
      too, and I think the Judith M website has pictures. Weaving Works in
      Seattle's U District also carries them, or can order them.

      Christiana
      Dragon's Laire