Re: [SCA-Milliners] "glue finished?" --alternate hem

  • J.May
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2003
      Hi all,

      (quick intro)
      I'm Samia, hailing from the Nordskogen, Northshield, Midrealm. I've made a
      few hats in a college millinery class and really want to make horn-like
      cauls-- when I gather up the time and ambition. My focus of study in the SCA
      is Islamic Spain, which has carried me all around the Mediterranean. With
      textiles as a passion I've learned that Muslim folks in period decorated
      everything with embroidery- including the scrap of cloth that keeps bugs out
      of the wine bottles. So embroidery is my next big adventure.

      (to the point)
      I've not heard of a "glue-finish" but there is a spiff way to do a rolled
      hem that I learned in a bridal shop a few summers ago. Unfortunately it's
      easier to show than explain, but I'll give it a shot.

      press a crease in your garment exactly where you want your hem to be.
      (almost everything-- even chiffon-- will take a press mark)
      At your sewing machine look at the right side of the garment. Where the
      crease is pressed, use your fingers and gently roll out an 1/8 of an inch.
      You should see the pressed crease, a "space" of your fabric and a new fold
      line going back underneath it all.
      Stitch in the "space" between your pressed crase and the new fold.
      After you're all the way around look at the wrong side of your fabric and
      carefully trim away the excess fabric, that is below your stitching line. If
      you've trimmed very close it should automatically roll to the wrong side on
      the crease you originally pressed in.
      Looking at the right side of your garment again stitch that down, either by
      hand or machine. It will be a tiny rolled hem. --Think of the rolling under
      like a regular hem that you've pressed up twice to close in the raw edges.

      Feel free to send me questions,
      Samia