Re: [SCA-Milliners] greetings and a question

  • Robert Downie
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 20, 2003
      I don't know if all locations carry them, but our local Walmarts carry
      the "African Gold" brand synthetic hair for extensions in a limited
      color range (I think they only had one blonde shade but lots of
      browns/black). They only cost about $3 for a good sized package.
      Failing that, you could try a large craft store that supplies doll hair,
      although you may not be able to find the longer lengths there.

      Hope this helps,
      Faerisa

      terrylee4me wrote:

      > Hi all!
      >
      > Can anyone suggest a source in the Massachusetts area where I might
      > find packages of loose synthetic hair to work with? I'm hesitant to
      > order over the
      > internet, because I have a somewhat odd shade of blonde to try to
      > match.
    • Helysoune
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 20, 2003
        I got my false hair at a local dollar store. Amazingly, the false
        hair matches my natural shade (a funky brown color) PERFECTLY. I
        bought 3 packages for $1 each. If you like, I'll check what their
        blonde availability is and get back to you.
      • terrylee4me
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 20, 2003
          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Helysoune" <helysoune@y...> wrote:
          > I got my false hair at a local dollar store. Amazingly, the false
          > hair matches my natural shade (a funky brown color) PERFECTLY. I
          > bought 3 packages for $1 each. If you like, I'll check what their
          > blonde availability is and get back to you.

          Thanks, but that probably wouldn't be much help. I have no idea what you'd call this
          shade of blonde, so I wouldn't know what to tell you to get. Thanks anyway!

          -Eleanor
        • Katherine Barich
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 20, 2003
              I have no idea what you'd call this <BR>
            >shade of blonde, so I wouldn't know what to tell you to get.

            Have you tried matching up a color with some hair coloring in the store?
            That might give you an idea. You might be able to tell someone you are
            looking for Clairol number xxx, Moonlight Blond, and have a standard way
            to communicate the color you need.

            Buying hair pieces on-line may be okay if you order a hair ring that will
            allow you to match the false hair color with your own. Generally you
            will need to pay a deposit which is credited towards the purchase when it
            is returned.

            My personal opinion is that in false hair you get what you pay for. For
            a long term investment a real hair might be the way to go.

            Katherine Barich
          • Kaitlyn McKenna
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 20, 2003
              Our local Sally Beuty Supply carries a brand called Yaki Body that has a
              style that is just long hair with a rubber band in the middle to make it
              half its full length and pony tailish. You can take the rubber band out and
              have a nice long pieces of loose hair. You have to look at all the "styles"
              of yaki body to find the right one. It can seem like they are all premade at
              first.

              kaitlyn

              >terrylee4me wrote:
              >
              > > Hi all!
              > >
              > > Can anyone suggest a source in the Massachusetts area where I might
              > > find packages of loose synthetic hair to work with? I'm hesitant to
              > > order over the
              > > internet, because I have a somewhat odd shade of blonde to try to
              > > match.

              <b>Get MSN 8</b> and enjoy automatic e-mail virus protection.
            • terrylee4me
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 21, 2003
                --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Kaitlyn McKenna" <kaitlyn_mckenna@h...>
                wrote:
                > Our local Sally Beuty Supply carries a brand called Yaki Body that has a
                > style that is just long hair with a rubber band in the middle to make it
                > half its full length and pony tailish. You can take the rubber band out and
                > have a nice long pieces of loose hair. You have to look at all the "styles"
                > of yaki body to find the right one. It can seem like they are all premade at
                > first.

                That is *exactly* what I'm looking for. The local Sally's told me they didn't carry it. I'll
                try calling the next nearest one instead, now that I know that at least one Sally's
                carries it.

                -Eleanor
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 21, 2003
                  > That is *exactly* what I'm looking for. The local Sally's told me they didn't carry it. I'll
                  > try calling the next nearest one instead, now that I know that at least one Sally's
                  > carries it.

                  And they wouldn't order it for you? Or have a color swatch card you
                  could compare with?

                  Somewhere on the web there is an analysis of cheap/synthetic hair, for
                  use in costuming. But I apparently failed to bookmark it, and a short
                  websearch didn't turn it up. All I recall is that it had a red or pink
                  background, photos done by the author of the hair types, and analysis of
                  look, feel, price and color range. The author had some varieties nearly
                  as cheap as the cheap stuff, but looked much more like caucasian hair.
                  I think that places were listed where you could buy it.

                  --
                  Cynthia Virtue and/or
                  Cynthia du Pré Argent

                  Medieval baby-in-walker toddler T-shirt: http://store.virtue.to
                • terrylee4me
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 21, 2003
                    --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@t...> wrote:
                    > And they wouldn't order it for you? Or have a color swatch card you
                    > could compare with?

                    I wasn't exactly impressed with the overall level of intelligence and initiative displayed
                    by the particular clerk on duty that day. :(

                    > Somewhere on the web there is an analysis of cheap/synthetic hair, for
                    > use in costuming. But I apparently failed to bookmark it, and a short
                    > websearch didn't turn it up. All I recall is that it had a red or pink
                    > background, photos done by the author of the hair types, and analysis of
                    > look, feel, price and color range. The author had some varieties nearly
                    > as cheap as the cheap stuff, but looked much more like caucasian hair.
                    > I think that places were listed where you could buy it.

                    That sounds really useful!

                    -Eleanor
                  • Alianora d'Argent
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 21, 2003
                      I had to run around to three or four different Sallys here before I could find the one store that carries it. I don't know why but apparently they just don't all carry it.

                      Alianora

                      terrylee4me <trish@...> wrote:
                      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@t...> wrote:
                      > And they wouldn't order it for you? Or have a color swatch card you
                      > could compare with?

                      I wasn't exactly impressed with the overall level of intelligence and initiative displayed
                      by the particular clerk on duty that day. :(

                      > Somewhere on the web there is an analysis of cheap/synthetic hair, for
                      > use in costuming. But I apparently failed to bookmark it, and a short
                      > websearch didn't turn it up. All I recall is that it had a red or pink
                      > background, photos done by the author of the hair types, and analysis of
                      > look, feel, price and color range. The author had some varieties nearly
                      > as cheap as the cheap stuff, but looked much more like caucasian hair.
                      > I think that places were listed where you could buy it.

                      That sounds really useful!

                      -Eleanor

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      Community email addresses: