Re: New to the list

  • Helysoune
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 10, 2003
      You would more than likely use a veil and wimple. The wimple is a
      rectangluar piece of linen that drapes over the neck and chin and is
      pinned on top of the head. The veil should a circular to oval
      shaped piece of linen that is pinned over top. You could also use a
      band of linen about 1" or so wide surrounding your head as a
      foundation piece for further support (especially good on windy
      days. Cynthia Virtue has a great tutorial on the subject on her
      website at http://www.virtue.to/articles/ Hope this helps!

      YIS,
      Helysoune
      Canton of Steinsee, Kingdom of Caid

      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa" <msceegirl@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hello I am new to the list, My name is Lady Ceara ingen Celaig, I
      am
      > 1100 Irish and would like some information on veils for my time
      > peroid what type should I have.
      >
      > Thanks You Lady Ceara.
    • Helysoune
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 10, 2003

        wrote:
        > Hello I am new to the list, My name is Lady Ceara ingen Celaig, I
        am
        > 1100 Irish and would like some information on veils for my time
        > peroid what type should I have.
        >
        > Thanks You Lady Ceara.
      • martinespotais
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 27, 2003
          Hi all,
          since the start of the this year I have become rather passionate
          about making hats.I made my first hat in March and it was like love
          at first sight.Only problem is that in New Zealand there are no
          qualifications and from what ive found no courses,although I am still
          researching my options.If there are any courses or people you can put
          me touch with that would be willing to help me out that would be
          greatly appreciated,and hey I'll work for free as long as I can just
          get my foot in the door!I've had local shops in my town wanting to
          put my hats in their shops,it just takes me ages to make them,but I
          am getting faster.I'll stop rabbiting on now and thanks to those whot
          take the time to read this message!
          Martine
          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Helysoune" <helysoune@y...>
          wrote:
          > You would more than likely use a veil and wimple. The wimple is a
          > rectangluar piece of linen that drapes over the neck and chin and
          is
          > pinned on top of the head. The veil should a circular to oval
          > shaped piece of linen that is pinned over top. You could also use
          > band of linen about 1" or so wide surrounding your head as a
          > foundation piece for further support (especially good on windy
          > days. Cynthia Virtue has a great tutorial on the subject on her
          > website at http://www.virtue.to/articles/ Hope this helps!
          >
          > YIS,
          > Helysoune
          > Canton of Steinsee, Kingdom of Caid
          >
          > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa" <msceegirl@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hello I am new to the list, My name is Lady Ceara ingen Celaig, I
          > am
          > > 1100 Irish and would like some information on veils for my time
          > > peroid what type should I have.
          > >
          > > Thanks You Lady Ceara.
        • Mine
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 27, 2003
            I am new and am in the process of trying to figure out all of this. So
            please excuse me if I do not get the correct terminology. I am interested in
            hats, but no to the impact of per say a hat. I am more interested in like
            for example a hat but one made entirely of glass beads. I saw one and had
            saved the website. Unforunately I had some issues with my computer and had
            to reformate and such. So I haven't been able to find it again. It looks
            kind of like a net that goes ontop of your head and then the back has glass
            beads just hanging on the back. The front is attached on the forehead with
            pearls. I am trying to figure out whether this is something that is of
            period. As my persona is around the year 1455 from Southern Italy. I really
            liked the way it looked. However, I don't want to take all the time it would
            take for me to make something like that if it isn't going to be of period.
            If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

            Thanks In Advance
            Elenya

          • Juliane de Vivonne
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 28, 2003
              Hi Elenya and welcome to the group!

              Are you talking about a reta? Something like this?

              http://mostlymedieval.com/reta.htm

              Juliane

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 28, 2003
                Juliane de Vivonne wrote:
                > Are you talking about a reta? Something like this?

                She might also mean something more like the modern-fantasy chain-mail
                headpieces; here's a link to one variety:

                http://www.sentex.net/~jpenner/jewelry.htm#Veils%20and%20Headpieces

                Welcome, Elenya!

                --
                Cynthia Virtue and/or
                Cynthia du Pré Argent

                Medieval baby-in-a-walker toddler T-shirt: http://store.virtue.to
              • Mine
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 28, 2003
                  WOOHOOOOOOOO yes yes yes yes yes yes someone found it. Sorry I am so
                  excited. I spent hours after I had to reformate my harddrive, and then
                  reinstalling everything, trying to find it again. Juliane you are a life
                  saver. But yes yes yes this is exactly what I was talking about. Exactly.
                  Again I appreciate your HELP a whole bunch.

                  Honorably in your debt FOREVER
                  Elenya
                  Are you talking about a reta? Something like this?

                  http://mostlymedieval.com/reta.htm

                  Juliane

                  --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Mine" <sassyol@c...> wrote:
                  > I am new and am in the process of trying to figure out all of this.
                  So
                  > please excuse me if I do not get the correct terminology. I am
                  interested in
                  > hats, but no to the impact of per say a hat. I am more interested
                  in like
                  > for example a hat but one made entirely of glass beads. I saw one
                  and had
                  > saved the website. Unforunately I had some issues with my computer
                  and had
                  > to reformate and such. So I haven't been able to find it again. It
                  looks
                  > kind of like a net that goes ontop of your head and then the back
                  has glass
                  > beads just hanging on the back. The front is attached on the
                  forehead with
                  > pearls. I am trying to figure out whether this is something that is
                  of
                  > period. As my persona is around the year 1455 from Southern Italy.
                  I really
                  > liked the way it looked. However, I don't want to take all the time
                  it would
                  > take for me to make something like that if it isn't going to be of
                  period.
                  > If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.
                  >

                  > Thanks In Advance
                  > Elenya

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Community email addresses:
                  Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
                  Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

                  Shortcut URL to this page:
                  http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

                • Mine
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 28, 2003
                    WOOHOOO you guys/gals/ whoever are SO TERRRIFIC. You don't know how great
                    this is for me. Searching hours and hours until my eyes felt like they were
                    going to pop out. I mean when I lost all my links for my persona I almost
                    cried. Now to think that it was just a simple email. That has given me most
                    of them back. I am just truly and forever in all of your debts.

                    Honorably Yours
                    Elenya