New to the list

  • Melissa
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 31 12:33 PM
      Hello I am new to the list, My name is Lady Ceara ingen Celaig, I am
      1100 Irish and would like some information on veils for my time
      peroid what type should I have.

      Thanks You Lady Ceara.
    • Helysoune
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 10, 2003
        You would more than likely use a veil and wimple. The wimple is a
        rectangluar piece of linen that drapes over the neck and chin and is
        pinned on top of the head. The veil should a circular to oval
        shaped piece of linen that is pinned over top. You could also use a
        band of linen about 1" or so wide surrounding your head as a
        foundation piece for further support (especially good on windy
        days. Cynthia Virtue has a great tutorial on the subject on her
        website at http://www.virtue.to/articles/ Hope this helps!

        YIS,
        Helysoune
        Canton of Steinsee, Kingdom of Caid

        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa" <msceegirl@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hello I am new to the list, My name is Lady Ceara ingen Celaig, I
        am
        > 1100 Irish and would like some information on veils for my time
        > peroid what type should I have.
        >
        > Thanks You Lady Ceara.
      • Helysoune
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 10, 2003

          wrote:
          > Hello I am new to the list, My name is Lady Ceara ingen Celaig, I
          am
          > 1100 Irish and would like some information on veils for my time
          > peroid what type should I have.
          >
          > Thanks You Lady Ceara.
        • martinespotais
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 27, 2003
            Hi all,
            since the start of the this year I have become rather passionate
            about making hats.I made my first hat in March and it was like love
            at first sight.Only problem is that in New Zealand there are no
            qualifications and from what ive found no courses,although I am still
            researching my options.If there are any courses or people you can put
            me touch with that would be willing to help me out that would be
            greatly appreciated,and hey I'll work for free as long as I can just
            get my foot in the door!I've had local shops in my town wanting to
            put my hats in their shops,it just takes me ages to make them,but I
            am getting faster.I'll stop rabbiting on now and thanks to those whot
            take the time to read this message!
            Martine
            --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Helysoune" <helysoune@y...>
            wrote:
            > You would more than likely use a veil and wimple. The wimple is a
            > rectangluar piece of linen that drapes over the neck and chin and
            is
            > pinned on top of the head. The veil should a circular to oval
            > shaped piece of linen that is pinned over top. You could also use
            > band of linen about 1" or so wide surrounding your head as a
            > foundation piece for further support (especially good on windy
            > days. Cynthia Virtue has a great tutorial on the subject on her
            > website at http://www.virtue.to/articles/ Hope this helps!
            >
            > YIS,
            > Helysoune
            > Canton of Steinsee, Kingdom of Caid
            >
            > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa" <msceegirl@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > Hello I am new to the list, My name is Lady Ceara ingen Celaig, I
            > am
            > > 1100 Irish and would like some information on veils for my time
            > > peroid what type should I have.
            > >
            > > Thanks You Lady Ceara.
          • Mine
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 27, 2003
              I am new and am in the process of trying to figure out all of this. So
              please excuse me if I do not get the correct terminology. I am interested in
              hats, but no to the impact of per say a hat. I am more interested in like
              for example a hat but one made entirely of glass beads. I saw one and had
              saved the website. Unforunately I had some issues with my computer and had
              to reformate and such. So I haven't been able to find it again. It looks
              kind of like a net that goes ontop of your head and then the back has glass
              beads just hanging on the back. The front is attached on the forehead with
              pearls. I am trying to figure out whether this is something that is of
              period. As my persona is around the year 1455 from Southern Italy. I really
              liked the way it looked. However, I don't want to take all the time it would
              take for me to make something like that if it isn't going to be of period.
              If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

              Thanks In Advance
              Elenya

            • Juliane de Vivonne
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 28, 2003
                Hi Elenya and welcome to the group!

                Are you talking about a reta? Something like this?

                http://mostlymedieval.com/reta.htm

                Juliane

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 28, 2003
                  Juliane de Vivonne wrote:
                  > Are you talking about a reta? Something like this?

                  She might also mean something more like the modern-fantasy chain-mail
                  headpieces; here's a link to one variety:

                  http://www.sentex.net/~jpenner/jewelry.htm#Veils%20and%20Headpieces

                  Welcome, Elenya!

                  --
                  Cynthia Virtue and/or
                  Cynthia du Pré Argent

                  Medieval baby-in-a-walker toddler T-shirt: http://store.virtue.to
                • Mine
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 28, 2003
                    WOOHOOOOOOOO yes yes yes yes yes yes someone found it. Sorry I am so
                    excited. I spent hours after I had to reformate my harddrive, and then
                    reinstalling everything, trying to find it again. Juliane you are a life
                    saver. But yes yes yes this is exactly what I was talking about. Exactly.
                    Again I appreciate your HELP a whole bunch.

                    Honorably in your debt FOREVER
                    Elenya
                    Are you talking about a reta? Something like this?

                    http://mostlymedieval.com/reta.htm

                    Juliane

                    --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Mine" <sassyol@c...> wrote:
                    > I am new and am in the process of trying to figure out all of this.
                    So
                    > please excuse me if I do not get the correct terminology. I am
                    interested in
                    > hats, but no to the impact of per say a hat. I am more interested
                    in like
                    > for example a hat but one made entirely of glass beads. I saw one
                    and had
                    > saved the website. Unforunately I had some issues with my computer
                    and had
                    > to reformate and such. So I haven't been able to find it again. It
                    looks
                    > kind of like a net that goes ontop of your head and then the back
                    has glass
                    > beads just hanging on the back. The front is attached on the
                    forehead with
                    > pearls. I am trying to figure out whether this is something that is
                    of
                    > period. As my persona is around the year 1455 from Southern Italy.
                    I really
                    > liked the way it looked. However, I don't want to take all the time
                    it would
                    > take for me to make something like that if it isn't going to be of
                    period.
                    > If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.
                    >

                    > Thanks In Advance
                    > Elenya

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Community email addresses:
                    Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
                    Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

                    Shortcut URL to this page:
                    http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

                  • Mine
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 28, 2003
                      WOOHOOO you guys/gals/ whoever are SO TERRRIFIC. You don't know how great
                      this is for me. Searching hours and hours until my eyes felt like they were
                      going to pop out. I mean when I lost all my links for my persona I almost
                      cried. Now to think that it was just a simple email. That has given me most
                      of them back. I am just truly and forever in all of your debts.

                      Honorably Yours
                      Elenya