New Resource

  • Robert Downie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2003
      Just got this on our local list, I thought it may prove useful. Sorry
      for the duplicate postings, but this looks like it will eventually be an
      extremely useful site, so I just had to share.
      Faerisa

      Hi all,

      Just ran across this resource at the Pierpont Morgan Library's
      website.

      It's called "Corsair" and is a catalog of the library's medieval and
      renaissance manuscripts, books and pictures:

      "CORSAIR is a comprehensive list of all the items owned by The
      Pierpont Morgan Library. This includes material traditionally found
      in library collections (printed books and serials, manuscripts,
      music) and material traditionally found in museum collections
      (illuminated manuscripts, drawings and prints, ancient Near Eastern
      seals, and art objects). With a single search, a user can find
      records for books, manuscripts, drawings, and objects associated with
      a specific individual, or created in a specific place, or at a
      specific time. A detailed description of the collections will be
      available here in the near future."

      The items themselves haven't been scanned, but according to the FAQ,
      "In the near future, CORSAIR will offer users access to thousands of
      images from its renowned collection of medieval and Renaissance
      manuscripts"

      They have some exhibit images online though, incl. a nice illuminated
      bible.

      If you're doing in-depth research, it looks like a fantastic
      resource.

      here' s the URL for the Morgan library:

      http://corsair.morganlibrary.org

      cheers,
      Berengaria

      p.s. the physical library is located in New York and is closed for
      renovations until 2006.

      Betty Braaksma
      Coordinator of Information Literacy
      University of Manitoba Libraries
      "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest" - Benjamin
      Franklin