The Mode in Hats and Headdress

  • Letty Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 26, 2000
      Leaves

      Found "The Mode in Hats and Headdress" by R. Turner Wilcox at the local college library. It seems to have some pretty good pictures and quite a bit of information on medieval headgear. Of course, the pictures aren't dated as well as I'd like, and there are no sources listed, but it looks useful.

      How accurate is this book? Does anyone have an opinion about it?

      I'm going to photocopy the relevant chapters, but am curious before I start attempting to make things out of it...

      Letty Smith

    • Grace
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 27, 2000
        Burn this book. Now.

        Jessamyn di Piemonte

        > From: "Letty Smith" <llsmith@...>
        > Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 02:11:26 -0400
        > To: <SCA-Milliners@egroups.com>
        > Subject: [SCA-Milliners] The Mode in Hats and Headdress
        >
        > Leaves
        >
        > Found "The Mode in Hats and Headdress" by R. Turner Wilcox at the local
        > college library. It seems to have some pretty good pictures and quite a bit
        > of information on medieval headgear. Of course, the pictures aren't dated as
        > well as I'd like, and there are no sources listed, but it looks useful.
        >
        > How accurate is this book? Does anyone have an opinion about it?
        >
        > I'm going to photocopy the relevant chapters, but am curious before I start
        > attempting to make things out of it...
        >
        > Letty Smith

        > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

      • Brinkman, Dena J (Dena)
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 27, 2000
          That is odd....Maestra Beatricia (hat ghuru) has been looking for this book.
          I surmise from that it must be a good book.

          Dena van de Leeuwe

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 27, 2000
            I used to drool over Wilcox when I was in high school. Then I started
            looking at the period sources, and realized just how far one can travel from
            the original. REALLY far. Conduct your own test.

            Mistress Jessamyn di Piemonte
            who has made a hell of a lot of hats in her SCA career....

          • László
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 28, 2000
              I have photocopied this book and use it for a reference even though it isn't even a very good tertiary source( no sources listed). I have found sources for a lot of the drawings and it seems to be pretty accurate. Ælia Doughty

              Captain! The spellchecker kinna take this abuse!
              Found "The Mode in Hats and Headdress" by R. Turner Wilcox at the local college library. It seems to have some pretty good pictures and quite a bit of information on medieval headgear. Of course, the pictures aren't dated as well as I'd like, and there are no sources listed, but it looks useful.

              How accurate is this book? Does anyone have an opinion about it?

              I'm going to photocopy the relevant chapters, but am curious before I start attempting to make things out of it...

              Letty Smith

              eGroups Sponsor

              Community email addresses:
              Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
              Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

              Shortcut URL to this page:
              http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

            • Leah Lloyd
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 30, 2000
                AUUUUGH!!! Burn it and dance on the ashes!!!!! Anything that is done in
                tertiary documentation is next-to-useless. Wilicox, while not quite so
                bad as Peacock, is right up there. You're looking at someone else's
                interpretations and illustrations, which is only **marginally** better as
                reference than listening to someone describe something they saw once out
                of the corner of their eye last year at a party while drinking straight
                shots of tequila. I have copies of their books ONLY to show newbies what
                NOT to look for and what NOT to use as documentation.

                Danabren, Hat Nazi, East

                > That is odd....Maestra Beatricia (hat ghuru) has been looking for
                > this book.
                > I surmise from that it must be a good book.
                >
                > Dena van de Leeuwe

                > > Burn this book. Now.
                > >
                > > Jessamyn di Piemonte

                > > > Found "The Mode in Hats and Headdress" by R. Turner Wilcox (snip)
                > > > Letty Smith

                Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.