Irish

  • Lisa Inez Stigen Williams
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 17, 2000
      Greetings to all,
      Can anyone refer me to references for what type of head covering Irish women wore? 10th century or later if possible.

      My thanks in advance,
      Pericleia

      "Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have
      many other fine qualities as well." - Missy Dizick

    • Ciar ingen Dàire
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2002
        Greetings to the list! I came across this message by accident, and
        wondered if anyone has found any references for this period.

        My persona is 10th century Irish, and so far all I have been able to
        come up with is the Dublin Viking cap (basically an arming cap that
        comes to a point at the top of the head) and the Book of Kells image
        of the Virgin Mary, who appears to be wearing a veil draped over her
        head, with the loose end tossed over her left shoulder. Does anyone
        have an alternate interpretation of the Book of Kells image, or any
        other sources for early period Ireland?

        Thank you :-)

        Ciar ingen Dàire
        Shire of Heatherwyne, Kingdom of Caid